Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED

This is a discussion on Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok my daughter is 20 and had two friends staying for a week. They all wanted to ride in the mustang to go out to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had to display my gun to daughter and friends: EDITED

Ok my daughter is 20 and had two friends staying for a week. They all wanted to ride in the mustang to go out to dinner. They all piled in (not easy to get in and out from the back), I got in and then realized that my spare gun was in the middle console (I occasionally do leave my backup in my car that is in the garage and locked). Knowing that i was going to be drinking a couple i wanted to get it out. So I told them sorry if you don't like guns but i have to remove one so we can go play in the mustang.

Now considering on of the "friends" likes my daughter and it is a guy, there may have been some benefit to doing this :), but none the less it was the first time i have had to show, display or anything since CCW

I am sure i will get hit about leaving gun in the car, but frankly with the garage locked, the car locked, the console locked and with the house and car alarm active this is probably the least accessible gun i have.
    Of course my daughter gave me the "look" the female friend said i was just like her dad (I feel old). The male didn't say a word

VIP Member
    I bet if you really wanted to find a way, you could have taken it out and put it away with no one knowing.

Try keeping a hand towel in the car. You can cover stuff up easily; use it to pick up and hide the gun (or something else); and it can come in handy if something spills, or the seat needs to be covered for some reason. I always keep a couple of good quality towels in the car.

(If you have to change a tire, you can use it to wipe sweat or Goop off your hands and face. If it is dead winter, you can cover your ears or head if need be--yeah, it would look weird; I'm just making the point that keeping towels in the car is a good idea.)

If, at age 20 they don't realize that it's a tough world out there and that you need to be prepared to take responsibility for your own safety, now's a good time for them to learn that lesson!

It's also a good time for Junior to learn that your daughter's daddy is armed and could be dangerous, given the right provocation!

That would have been a great time to ask the "what are your intentions with my daughter?" question to him.

With a little planning in advance you could have snuck into the garage and taken care of this probably. Oh well. You're legal.

Did your daughter know you carry prior to this? Was their any following discussion after the friends left?
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I find the fact that you would remove a gun from the car because you might be 'having a few', but would still get behind the wheel to drive your daughter and your friends around to be a much bigger deal than the gun.

If you won't be sober enough to have a gun in the console, than I don't believe you would be sober enough to 'play in the mustang', especially with your daughter and her friends.

I believe your actions were irresponsible and while I applaud you for disarming while drinking, I have nothing good to say about somebody who would 'play in a mustang' with their daughter and friends while/after drinking.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The towel is a good idea, but frankly in a mustang with 4 people anthing you try to pull out of the consol hidden is going to draw attention. My daughter knows i carry, in fact i have tried to convince her to carry, but then again most of the time she is on campus (stupid laws). She carries mace and a whistle. While it won't help with someone with a gun she is more prepared than most. BTW she was once approach at a party by a drunk guy wanting to "be with her" and had some free flowing hands. The guy ended up with a broke nose which he didn't feel because he was curled up on the ground in the fetal position cradeling his privates. Everyone clapped after she defended herself.

It seems the spare gun, kept in a locked console in the locked Mustang that is kept parked in the locked garage with the house security alarm engaged is pretty safe under the 'layered' security........although I doubt my own capicty of keeping it there, it works for you.

As for exposing your sidearm to the 'kids', thier adults and guests in your residence, they'll get over it. I'll bet they might even want to go to the range to see what it's like (hint, hint).........and for your daughters 'possible suitor', it's best he knows that her Daddy takes care of business, and your daughter is YOUR business. She's an adult but still your daughter.......'neuf' said.
    You removed the sidearm in a responsible manner to facilitate an evening of festivities. It's the law and you showed them a very responsible, mature act, even at 20-something seeing that 'showed' them how to behave WRT firearm ownership. I say good job!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

No biggie. So they know you have a gun and sometimes keep it in the car. +1 on the boy knowing that dad is armed, maybe it will keep him on the straight and narrow with your daughter.

One question though, does MO forbid any alcohol consumption when carrying, or just being intoxicated? If it just forbids being intoxicated, and you were going to have a couple, (assuming that would not make you intoxicated), what is the difference in driving and and carrying your gun?

I don't disarm here in Texas if I am going to have a beer with dinner or whatever. If I am not impaired to drive, then I ain't getting rid of my gun either.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

first off the playing was to take place prior to dinner. And other than a few scratches of the tires and throwing them back into their seats while getting on the insterstate, there was no law broken. Secondly in missouri there is a set limit that makes it illegal to drive. Having two beers at a resturant with dinner does not make me over the legal limit (and yes i have proof of this). Third in Missouri there is no set legal limit on drinking with a gun (for example .08) it mearly says impaired. Most will tell you it is the same as the dui limit, thats fine for them but i am not willing to shell out the money for lawyers to prove this to be the case, hence i removed the gun.

while i appreciate your comments, i did want to clarify for you what i meant in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    +1 on the boy knowing that dad is armed, maybe it will keep him on the straight and narrow with your daughter.
    Maybe it will interest him enough to get a gun of his own. You two could share a common bond. Also, the more gun owners the better.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

lol i think the common bond is my daughter. It is a shame this young people don't have the right to defend themselves just because they are trying to get a higher education. Off topic, but i still beleive it is going to take a CCW holder to be denied his right to carry at a place of work or school and that person being killed by a BG and then law suits to take place before schools and business realize that unless they can protect their employees/students then they run the risk of law suits if something happens

I have mixed emotions on this issue. On the point of the boy seeing that you are willing to take up arms to defend your's, I totally agree with!!! As far as the driving after having a couple of drinks, well JMO, I don't agree with. Again, that is just my opinion.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    So they saw you had a gun.
    So what!!!!

I still don't understand this attitude

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Darin, i respect your thought on the drinks and driving and respect the way you approached it as well. I no longer drink and drive in an illegal fashion (wish i could claim i never had, but that would be a lie from my younger days), but i do not agree that having a beer (or two) or glass of wine with dinner makes you unable to drive and the law currently doesn't think so either. Basically i try to follow the law and my own morals which are usually much tougher than the law (but not always).

Not sure if any of you have ever had a chance to do this, but i was fortunant once that at a bar they sponsored a police campaign to show who was over the limit and who was not (breath test right in the bar). Frankly the .08 is really hard to get to if you are not just pounding them down. I am a BIG guy, but i had several beers in an hour and a half, and did not blow a .08.

by the way they stopped this campaign because some idiots figured that since the had 3 beers an an hour and did not blow a .08 they could have 3 beers every hour for 4 hours and still drive not taking into account what they ate, etc. needless to say once they got arressted the police figured the benefit of education only helps those that are capable of actually learning.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    One question though, does MO forbid any alcohol consumption when carrying, or just being intoxicated? If it just forbids being intoxicated, and you were going to have a couple, (assuming that would not make you intoxicated), what is the difference in driving and and carrying your gun?

I don't disarm here in Texas if I am going to have a beer with dinner or whatever. If I am not impaired to drive, then I ain't getting rid of my gun either.
    Missouri's Alcohol limit is 0.08 in lines with the national standards for DWI. As long as you are below a BAC of 0.08 you are ok having a handgun in your possession. However, if you are above 0.08 and have a concealed handgun, you may face enhanced charges!

This is from the Missouri Highway Patrol CCW brochure:

** If you are arrested for DWI and are carrying a concealed weapon,
    you also may be arrested for possession of a firearm while intoxicated.
    “Possession” would include having the weapon in the vehicle, not just
    on your person.

Among forum members here on this website, the debate gets rather heated on whether people should ccw and consume any alcohol what so ever. That is another topic altogether. In Missouri it is legal to consume alcohol and still have a concealed weapon as long as your BAC is below 0.08.

Now if you are ever involved in any type of "gun incident" or self defense shooting after you have been drinking I'm sure issues will be made regarding that in court. How that plays out is anyones guess. I suppose there are too many factors, not least of which depends on how good your attorney is as to what the final outcome will be.

For a copy of the Missouri Concealed Weapons Law Brochure from Missouri State Highway Patrol in .pdf format, click here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links