9 Days without my pistol.

This is a discussion on 9 Days without my pistol. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well we just got back this weekend from a trip up north to visit both of our families. This required us to stay for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well we just got back this weekend from a trip up north to visit both of our families. This required us to stay for a bit over a week in both IL, and WI. Neither of which as you all know are freindly to carrying firearms for personal protection.

After the first day of traveling through TX, AR, and MO, and staying just south of St. Louis and carrying as usual, I was forced on the second day to remove the magazine, round from the chamber, put it back in the magazine, then place the pistol, (actually 2 of them for the trip) into a zippered case and zip it up with the magazine ouside of the case. Both of them were placed in a compartment just above my head in the motorhome, but not really within any sort of reach, for fast access or anything, at least while I was driving. This is where the remained for the next 9 days.

It was really strange, going into stores, sitting around the campsite, going to restaurants, and getting dressed/undressed every day and not going through the routine of putting on the holster and pistol like I have for years.

I asked one of my nephews who has his TN permit if when he got to the IL border on his drive from the Memphis area if he stopped and made his pistol legal for the two states, and he sort of chuckled and said nope. I am realatively sure that it stayed in his vehicle while he was there and that he didn't carry it, breaking the law.

Any chance that these two states will come around in the near future and allow some sort of carry like the rest of the country? I am kinda glad that it will be a few years at least before we go back up into that area, not that I didn't enjoy the vacation and the great weather, but their laws are just screwy. And the Heller descision doesn't look like it will have any effect on the travel or transportation part of this as far as I can see.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I sure don't see a lot of vehicle carry changes for IL in the near future. Not sure about WI. I have heard they are much closer to CCW than IL, but I have no first hand knowledge.

Glad you had a good time while you were there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1943 - 2009
    Any chance that these two states will come around in the near future and allow some sort of carry like the rest of the country?

Sorry to be so blunt, but given the elected "leadership" in IL & WI, I see no changes on the horizon.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I just moved from WI last year. They were close for a couple years running. Had bills approved in the house and senate, veto'd by the gov, and 1-2 votes shy of the over-ride. Then the main sponser of the bills lost his seat so I haven't heard whether anyone resumed his fight.

Sorry, but I have relatives in WI and know what you are talking about. No changes any time soon from what I have heard.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Even though I am in the St. Louis area Illinois is strictly a pass through state for me. Seems a bit loony the way they approach guns there. You can only hunt deer with a shotgun slug much less carry a pistol.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm NOT an expert on IL law but I go there to visit family. I too hate the not carrying but I don't even take my pistol with me. I believe the way you had it could have actually gotten you in trouble. They're very strict about what is "accessible" to the driver and I'm not even sure it's legal to take one into the state unless you're truly just passing through. It's sad but I agree that it's not likely to change becasue of one city and it's influence and that's Chicago!

In the country side it would go over well but Chicago is emerging as an international business city and it's as liberal as liberal gets! But we can hope and pray!

Pretty pathetic, huh? I'm just about 45 mins across the river from IL and the little lady likes shopping over there in communist country. I generally just leave my gun at home. I am going to read up on the IL law more and find out exactly what I can do with my gun while in IL.

The whole Firearm Owner ID Card that is required in IL is ridiculous as well. Every now and again I go to a help yourself sporting goods store and look at some guns. Once a salesman asked to see my FOID card and I said "I'm not from this communist state, I'm from Missouri!" I thought he was going to wet himself laughing. I didn't think it was much of a joke, but that's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

Sorry to be so blunt, but given the elected "leadership" in IL & WI, I see no changes on the horizon.
    I feel the same.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

No hope in Illinois. That's why I left Chicago.

Isn't Obama from ILLinois?...........case closed.

I will mention that since the Heller decision, many of the suburbs instantly "took a knee" and revoked their screwy gun laws. Although Daley will not go down easily, the NRA did file a lawsuit immediately. I am hoping that the Heller case will help the cause here in IL. We'll see. The only "Blue" county in the state last election was Cook County (Chicago) and yet that one county determined the election for the rest of the state.

Time will tell.

Heller question

So regarding the Heller decision...since they determined that it is an individual right. Will it take another court case for them to make a ruling on the "keep and bear" arms part?
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Wasn't there a major court decision about guns in motorhomes? The motorhome was recognized as the person's home with the right to keep a firearm in that home. I think the distinction was that the gun must not be readily accessible to the DRIVER's area. This "home" distinction also applied to formal campsites.

This might have been a CA court decision but might have been bigger than that. Worth exploring anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mmargotta View Post
    Isn't Obama from ILLinois?...........case closed.
    Big YES!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links