Only Me!

This is a discussion on Only Me! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, will I or will I not get my permit? I'll try to make this quick, but it's quite funny (dumb luck)... So I go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only Me!

Only Me!

Okay, will I or will I not get my permit?

I'll try to make this quick, but it's quite funny (dumb luck)...

So I go through the Oklahoma Self Defense Act training, pay the $200 for the course and then the fees on top of that for the OSBI background check. Just after applying for my permit, I get offered a job in Washington. Had to move, and wouldn't you know it... just got a letter today that my permit was sent to the local S.O. only 2 days after we moved from Oklahoma !!!!!

So, I have a permit sitting in Norman, OK at the local S.O. and no way to obviously get back there to pick up in person. I'm hoping that someone in the office will understand and perhaps mail it here to Washington, but not sure how that works.

Thoughts ???

2. Remove Ads

smn
    Call the SO and send a self addressed stamped envelope so they may mail it to you at your expense.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    You must mean Washington state. Surely one of us would never voluntarily move to Washington DC.

Sounds like the OK permit is history.

Does OK issue resident and non-resident permits? If so, your 'resident' permit isn't worth anything. Some states only issue one permit for res & nonres, so that would still be valid.

I maintain TWO residences... the one in Oklahoma, and this home I just purchased in Washington. YES, Washington State - the Evergreen State, the one with the big volcanoes and the space needle and the ocean and Puget Sound and waterfalls and all that stuff.

Problem is... I'm not due to travel back there any time soon, and I believe it says you have to pick it up in person at the Sheriff's Office. So what I'm hoping is that I find some fine understanding person who will, just perhaps, mail it to me. But I was hoping to find someone on here who may have had a similar experience and could advise what to expect.

Needless to say, I'm applying for my WA concealed permit as well. I believe here, it only takes about five business days. In Oklahoma, it was almost 90 days !!!!!

WA is a great state to live in. I live in Olympia, and work in Seattle. Where are you located? I think they will forward the permit if you send them an envelope. Washington permits take less than 30 days, and I have heard of some depts issuing on site, so that may be quicker..
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I think your money and your permit are history. Does OK have any requirements to inform when your address changes. If they do, I don't think your going to be able to keep your OK permit with a Washington address. That is too bad.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 9th, 2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Deleted quoted material.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Still have a residence in OK as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just won't be going back there until probably late October. Obviously don't want to wait that long to start packin'.

If an officer were to run my DL or SSN, could they verify I indeed have a Concealed permit/license now? How does that work exactly? I know you're supposed to have it ON you, butttttttttttttttttttttt...................... just thinking out loud you know............

I do have the letter mailed from the OSBI stating that my permit has been issued. Unfortunately doesn't have a number or anything in the letter. It just advises that the permit has been issued and I can pick it up at the Cleveland Co. SO. (sigh)

Anyone ever carried and managed to forget their permit? If so, did PD verify? Ever have a situation like that occur?
    Carrying without having your permit ON you, even though they could verify through OSBI, would that be too much of a risk?

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    If an officer were to run my DL or SSN, could they verify I indeed have a Concealed permit/license now? How does that work exactly? I know you're supposed to have it ON you, butttttttttttttttttttttt...................... just thinking out loud you know............
    Welcome to Washington!

We have a strong State Constitution that supports your right to carry, congratulations!

We have a strong Liberal representation that runs the Government, pity us!

If you're caught without a permit they'll lock you up.

ETA: If you're feeling lucky, you can open carry.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Going to jail is not a desired option here. :-)
    Guess my only hope is that Oklahoma will mail me my current OK permit, and that my WA permit will get issued quickly. Local SO here says five business days. That's fast, considering OK required 90 day background check!

You may have two residences, but only one driver's license...which home is your primary residence?
    Knowing which home is your primary residence will determine how states will or will not honor your CCW permit. Will your OK permit be a resident or non-resident?
    Get the facts before you carry.OMO, be careful!

Stay armed...stay legal...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If it were me I'd try to make arrangements by phone to have it mailed. If that proved to be impossible I'd make a trip to Ok to get it. It's that important.

Do you have fed-ex account number if not set one up then I would ask the LEO to fed-ex it to me at Ok address. With fed-ex or Ups after 1st attempt to deliver you can reroute the package to DC. May be worth the few extra dollars.

DC???

Once again, the original poster is NOT in our nation's capital, but in that OTHER Washington!!!

I would say just call them and ask. If in person is your only option then GO get it or see if they will hold it until you get back.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links