Hoover Dam

This is a discussion on Hoover Dam within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may have occaision to drive over Hoover Dam soon. I will be legally carry a concealed weapon on my person in CA, AZ and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoover Dam

Hoover Dam

I may have occaision to drive over Hoover Dam soon.

I will be legally carry a concealed weapon on my person in CA, AZ and NV. My question is this, can I carry over Hoover Dam in my vehicle as long as I don't stop? I can understand not allowing you to carry on the Dam Tour and such, but what about driving through?

It's been years since I went over the dam and may have to do it again soon. Last time I went over the dam they weren't searching anything. now I hear they are searching all vehicles driving over the dam. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

well I think that you should be able to carry your dam gun inside the dam tour and on the dam visitors center. I don't think that the dam authorities should care when dam visitors are law abiding citizens who gave a dam supported by dam taxes.

lol

have fun!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

only if it aint against the dam law!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Distinguished Member
    "carry as long as I don't stop" that's funny, cause in March when we road our cycles over Hoover, it took us about 1 hour to cover about a mile, so if things are the same, you will be stopping, most people were getting out of cars because of the wait. If you have not seen the new 4-lane under construction, you WILL be impressed. Water level was down about 100 feet I was told, and it looked like it.

Have a good trip.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Can somebody answer the question I posted, or is that too difficult?

Administrator
    I thought you are a fed. LEO? If so, your OK in reference to your dam question.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Can somebody answer the question I posted, or is that too difficult?
    Sorry, I don't know the specifics, but was just letting you know that you may have a good chance of having to stop.

Did not remember seeing any signs with regards to guns while crossing the dam.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    I searched "department of interior hoover dam" and got this link to a pdf file that has info regarding crossing the dam.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

An excerpt from the pdf:

Can I carry weapons in my vehicle across Hoover Dam?
    Yes, as long as their transport complies with state and federal standards, i.e. guns must be unloaded and
    in compliance with concealment laws. Also, no more than 1000 rounds of ammunition may be
    transported across the dam
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I thought you are a fed. LEO? If so, your OK in reference to your dam question.
    I am, but don't want any hassles since I'm carrying under LEOSA and will be off duty. As per LEOSA, certain government locations may be prohibited from concealed carry.

I don't plan on getting out of my vehicle, BTDT. I'm just looking for the fastest route to Vegas and the dam provides it.

Biker

When I was there last October, I didn't notice any cars being searched. I personally didn't drive across the dam though. My wife and I did the tourist thing and was walking around. Traffic was moving slowly largely due to the people walking around/drivers viewing the sights but not due to roadblocks and vehicles being searched. Going through the museum part, not the actual tour itself, security is rather heightened. They actually confiscated some Tootsie Rolls that were in my wifes purse ! Ironically, you could buy Tootsie Rolls in the gift shop...my guess they were all the confiscated ones LOL! As long as you're legal with your gun, you shouldn't have any issues but by God do NOT try to sneak any Tootsie Rolls through .

ppkheat:

Thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for, but couldn't find.

Biker

VIP Member
    ppkheat:

Thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for, but couldn't find.

Biker
    No problem, enjoy your trip. I don't think it would hurt to print out some of that info and bring it with you on your trip? Whenever I fly and declare a firearm I always have TSA and the airlines info with me. It might help somehow.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    ppkheat:
    Very interesting link, too bad all federal properties do not spell it out that easily.

But remember Boulder City NV

I may have occaision to drive over Hoover Dam soon.
    The real problem may be driving through Boulder City on your way to or from the Dam. Title 7, Chapter 1, Section 3 is their notorious "deadly weapons" law (also North Las Vegas). Although there's always talk about that being reversed, a lecture at Front Sight (Pahrump, NV) in May 2008 said the laws were still on the books. No carry.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

I don't plan on getting out of my vehicle, BTDT. I'm just looking for the fastest route to Vegas and the dam provides it.

Biker
    I'm not sure where you're coming from but it's not necessarily true. If you're coming from the phoenix area then sometimes it's faster to go through laughlin because of the traffic jams at the dam. When we went to vegas earlier in the year it was spring break and all the kids were going to vegas. Going through laughlin adds about half an hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links