Concealed Carry at Taco Bell...but it wasn't me

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at Taco Bell...but it wasn't me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday while in line at Taco Bell for a delicious Big Taste Taco, I overheard two gentlemen to my side talking. One was fishing in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry at Taco Bell...but it wasn't me

Yesterday while in line at Taco Bell for a delicious Big Taste Taco, I overheard two gentlemen to my side talking. One was fishing in his wallet to get his credit card out, and I heard him say, "This is my permit, which has a different color than my drivers license, but otherwise is nearly identical." He followed that comment up by discussing the "CCW class".

As I am trying to be patient and wait for my permit (still another 70 days or so to go...I am one of the most impatient people on earth so I am going insane), I felt very at ease and comfortable knowing that a CCW permit holder was in the premises.

The strange thing is, I am not sure how comfortable I would have felt had he been OC (if it were legal in SC, which it isn't). Are my hesitations about OC justifiable, or in states where it is required, is there still a permit required for it?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure Vermont & Alaska let all citizens open carry with no permit from the state government. Someone else can jump in & correct me if I am wrong.

Distinguished Member
    NE is an open-carry state, but it has been years sense I have seen anyone OC, and at that time, if I remember it was during the hunting season, and the gun looked like the hunting type, not a SD type.

I can see advantages and disadvantages for each type of carry.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Wyoming is an open carry state and no permit is required to do so. Every once in awhile you will see someone open carrying. Most trucks have a gun in a gun rack and most keep them loaded because that's legal here also. I will be in Nebraska this weekend and since they don't recognize anyones concealed carry I'll open carry while in the vehicle. Most other places I unfortunately will most likely disarm, don't need the hassel of alarmed sheep causing problems.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Sorry I'm going to derail the crap out of your thread, but was it the Taco Bell on Pine St.? You definitely need someone carrying in that one

(I grew up in Spartanburg.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    Yesterday while in line at Taco Bell for a delicious Big Taste Taco..........,
    There's the first issue.......yummy

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    The strange thing is, I am not sure how comfortable I would have felt had he been OC
    Perhaps your just like most, the best gun in the place is your gun. Unless I know the person and am comfortable with thier skills, then I'm watching until I'm sure they're not a threat........just like I watch everyone else.

Everone has reservations about someone else with a weapon, anti's.....'gun nuts'.......sheep, dosn't matter.
    It's your level of control and self discipline that dictates your response and how you feel about it.
    Last edited by goldshellback; July 11th, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add to
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Arizona is open carry and I've noticed that if the gun is a Western type no one says anything except admiration. If the gun is a high end 1911 that looks really nice, let's say a Kimber with custom grips or a high end STI people look but I think they figure a person who puts that much money into a gun and dresses neatly must be a good person. But, even I worry when I see a black gun carried by someone who looks like a bum.

Quote Originally Posted by dealer View Post
    Sorry I'm going to derail the crap out of your thread, but was it the Taco Bell on Pine St.? You definitely need someone carrying in that one

(I grew up in Spartanburg.)
    Ha! Actually it was the one on Asheville Highway towards Hearon Circle. After observing a blatantly obvious drug sale there today in the parking lot, it made me very uneasy and wishing I had my CCW Permit. (I called the police and left)

The wait is horrible.

On subject, I guess my issue is that if you have gone to a CCW class, and have your permit, you are #1) Not a felon. #2) Have some sort of training. With open carry it just seems different to me. I wouldn't have issue I suppose, if they had to go through the same training, and are not convicted felons. I know most people seem to be against "any" gun regulation, but I can see the benefit of some basic training for those carrying.

As for me, I am making sure I have the training to handle my weapon. However, after going through my CCW class it was obvious that there were many there who didn't know which end was which on their firearm.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    don't feel bad about the wait I am on day 74 of the 90 so xmas is coming for me soon
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Frankly I see no pluses for open carry except when hunting or camping. None! I do see a lot of negatives.

However, that's my opinion. In Kansas OC is legal at least in some locales. I asked a LEO friend if it was legal in my locale and he said "yes, it is, but if a LEO sees you open carrying expect your face to get well acquainted with the dirt until he has checked you out."

I too am quite impatient when it comes to these things, and I got mine in 30 days! Open carry shouldn't make you uncomfortable. It should be a completely harmless and natural thing in America. Notice that I said "should".
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

1943 - 2009
    Just a reminder, this is a concealed carry discussion forum.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Ok, what if he was CC but printing badly? Why is the visibility of another persons weapon an issue to you? If they are armed, they are armed. Assuming the weapon is still holstered it is no more a threat to anyone if it is in plain sight or under a jacket. It doesn't become an issue until it comes out of the holster.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Frankly I see no pluses for open carry except when hunting or camping. None! I do see a lot of negatives.

However, that's my opinion. In Kansas OC is legal at least in some locales. I asked a LEO friend if it was legal in my locale and he said "yes, it is, but if a LEO sees you open carrying expect your face to get well acquainted with the dirt until he has checked you out."
    I imagine if a LEO were to do that to someone where OC was legal, he'd have a desk job for a while thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    I imagine if a LEO were to do that to someone where OC was legal, he'd have a desk job for a while thereafter.
    one can only hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links