Motorcycle carry...tankbag vs. holster

This is a discussion on Motorcycle carry...tankbag vs. holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Assuming that we all want to have all the epidermis on our hands and that we wear our gloves whilst riding, has anyone tried firing ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Motorcycle carry...tankbag vs. holster

Assuming that we all want to have all the epidermis on our hands and that we wear our gloves whilst riding, has anyone tried firing their firearm while they have their riding gloves on?

For semi-autos, I am glocks. And that trigger guard is not as large as the Beretta PX4 or the HK P2000.

So, anyone draw and fire their ccw guns with jacket and gloves to simulate how easy/difficult it would be to do with biking attire?

I will admit, I haven't. Next range trip I will shoot with my gloves and see how that goes.

Anyone want to share experiences shooting with your riding attire?

BTW, to keep on-topic, I carry in a IWB or OWB holster while riding. Not a tankbag.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dakotasdad View Post
    Scot Van, that's a great idea indeed. I used to carry in a tank-bag on the bike for years. The only difference is, I just laid the pistol on top of whatever was in the center compartment, which was usually a light coat or something of that nature.

Every time I see stuff like that I am more and more thankful that I am left handed. (I can still throttle away if necessary)
    +1

I use a shoulder rig or tank bag to carry on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Assuming that we all want to have all the epidermis on our hands and that we wear our gloves whilst riding, has anyone tried firing their firearm while they have their riding gloves on?

For semi-autos, I am glocks. And that trigger guard is not as large as the Beretta PX4 or the HK P2000.

So, anyone draw and fire their ccw guns with jacket and gloves to simulate how easy/difficult it would be to do with biking attire?

I will admit, I haven't. Next range trip I will shoot with my gloves and see how that goes.

Anyone want to share experiences shooting with your riding attire?

BTW, to keep on-topic, I carry in a IWB or OWB holster while riding. Not a tankbag.
    Well,

If you're in FL...
    You ride a Harley with cruise...
    Your riding gloves are fingerless...

No problem!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Throttle-less? Clutch-less is just as bad if not worse.

I do nothing different. Of course, I ride my Magna 90% of the time, even in cold weather. I used to carry in my SERPA only on my bike, but now it's in my C-TAC.
    Last edited by Agave; July 12th, 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added info
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

A satchel... Gotcha! My mistake. I call it a ruck! LOL
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Was wondering what you do with your gun when you get off the bike to go inside someplace?

Can you discretely holster up without brandishing your gun when you leave your bike or does your bag go with you like a purse?

I know two people who have had tank bags stolen in Kansas City while they were inside someplace. One was in a restaurant having dinner and the other guy was at a hospital visiting someone and bike was parked in the indoor parking garage. Neither of them had guns in the tank bags so that was a good thing but just losing the bag itself is losing a fair amount of coin let alone having a gun stolen too.
    Excellent point. Since KY is friendly to a gun carrying, responsible citizenry, OC is permitted as well. The discreet transition from tank bag to IWB holster or shoulder holster is a matter of unzipping the bag and tucking the gun away. Zero issues there, but a fine line, to be sure.

Another thing I should mention...the bottom of this bag zips away to become a backpack...so I don't have to even touch the weapon to keep 'er with me. The locking zippered side portion makes me think that Firstgear had this in mind the whole time! In this respect, Bark...it is, indeed, my man-purse. Don't think I missed that dig, brohams...

Notice that the portion of the bag that is left behind (still attached to the tank in the photo) also has it's own map screen and pockets. This tank bag is a beaut, and I can't remember who asked here, but I have no difficulty seeing the sped/tach-ometers or other controls. It may not be as good for a cruiser's riding position, but with a sport/touring (upright) position, there are no issues with this. Neither is there any worry about these magnets holding tight...if all four are in place, you can't even scootch the bag over in any direction. Coupled with the strap that goes around the front post, I'm don't worry about losing my tankbag, even at ridiculous rates of travel (which of course I know nothing about...)
    Attached Images
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Looks like a pretty sweet setup - thanks for the pictures. You didn't mention what model it is. How is the raincover performance?

best,

Dave

Sounds like a pretty good setup. I'm on a cruiser though, so probably not an option for me. I carry in a fanny pack. I did get a LCP Ruger 380 and have been carrying that in my front pants pocket, also.
    ...one jagged hole!

FWIW, this is the Firstgear Monza tank bag. GREAT rain coverage (learned that today during the deluge that threatened to wash away the Bluegrass entire). The Monza line is extensive.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

SDM
    Quote Originally Posted by exit42 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good setup. I'm on a cruiser though, so probably not an option for me. I carry in a fanny pack. I did get a LCP Ruger 380 and have been carrying that in my front pants pocket, also.
    I'm on a cruiser as well (M109R) and I just carry in my IWB as usual. I also wear a mesh jacket, so it hides it quite well. I will carry an overshirt in my small tank bag or hide it under the seat for times when I need to park the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    I'm on a cruiser as well (M109R) and I just carry in my IWB as usual. I also wear a mesh jacket, so it hides it quite well. I will carry an overshirt in my small tank bag or hide it under the seat for times when I need to park the bike.
    I have a black M109R as well, sweet bikes. What I did discover the other day is that carrying in a paddle holster is a bad idea while on the bike, as mine nearly came off at extra legal speeds!
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

SDM
    Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    I have a black M109R as well, sweet bikes. What I did discover the other day is that carrying in a paddle holster is a bad idea while on the bike, as mine nearly came off at extra legal speeds!
    Where do you carry it, and do you wear a jacket?

M2
    I still prefer to keep my weapon on my person; and since I use the same vertical shoulder holster for other occassions, my XD is exactly where I naturally expect it to be. About the only issues are that I cannot remove my jacket when going into a restaurant or somewhere, and I usually prefer to wear a black t-shirt under my leathers as it helps conceal the weapon and holster when I unzip the jacket. To date no one has ever noticed it.

And as for gloves, I can easily operate my XD with my full-fingered Alpinestar racing gloves on!

Cheers! M2

I ride a full dress Harley Road Glide, and use a Joe Rocket tank bag. Depending on trip length and destination, I carry either on my person, in the tank bag, or both. I never walk away from my bike and leave a gun in the tank bag on the bike. I either discretely transfer the gun to my pocket or holster, take the tankbag with me, or lock it in the bike's saddlebags or trunk. I will often wear my PM9 iwb while riding and carry the 1911 in the tank bag. My tank bag attaches magnetically, so all I have to do is pull it off and go. It also has straps to use as a backpack, which is handy for those little scenic overlook type trails.

I can't imagine any realistic scenario where I would need to shoot from a moving bike. I'd more likely be using both hands to accelerate and/or manuver away from trouble, or get off the bike and find cover.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    I ride a full dress Harley Road Glide,
    Sweet. Harley's best kept secret. I've got a full dress Road Glide with an added top box.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links