Motorcycle carry...tankbag vs. holster

This is a discussion on Motorcycle carry...tankbag vs. holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've accidentally happened upon a great alternative to wearing my shoulder holster while riding. Though I'm very comfortable with the gun under my left arm, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Motorcycle carry...tankbag vs. holster

Motorcycle carry...tankbag vs. holster

I've accidentally happened upon a great alternative to wearing my shoulder holster while riding. Though I'm very comfortable with the gun under my left arm, it is nice to have alternatives.

Whether or not this is technically CC, it is nice to have this Firstgear tankbag with a pocket that seems designed for my needs.
    Attached Images
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

Great idea!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Scot Van, that's a great idea indeed. I used to carry in a tank-bag on the bike for years. The only difference is, I just laid the pistol on top of whatever was in the center compartment, which was usually a light coat or something of that nature.

Every time I see stuff like that I am more and more thankful that I am left handed. (I can still throttle away if necessary)
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotasdad View Post
    (I can still throttle away if necessary)

dakotasdad = Action hero
    -Biker

lefty biker advantage

Every time I see stuff like that I am more and more thankful that I am left handed. (I can still throttle away if necessary)

Exactly, dakotasdad. I'm learning to shoot with my left, but for now, I'm throttle-less if I'm holding the weapon. In threads past, I mentioned how I could never imaginec a scenario in which I was accelerating and shooting. I will continue to hope it doesn't happen, regardless of lefty/righty.

A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Action hero? Nah, but I sure do love those movies!

But seriously, I honestly can't conceive a situation where I was rolling and shooting while on the bike. In that type of situation I would definitely try to get the hell out of dodge first and not be some Chinese action hero.

ScotVan, also consider adding a little paracord to the zipper pull to give yourself a little better grip on the zipper pull.It will flap around a little at speed but at least you'll be able to get into the compartment faster.
    Last edited by dakotasdad; July 11th, 2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Clarification

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Just curious, but can you see your gauges with that tank bag? And how firmly does the magnets hold the bag on? Seems like a pretty good solution! I wouldn't want/try to shoot while riding my bike but this looks like it would be very accessible the moment you stopped.

VIP Member
    Scott nice bike I got the same one in black with similar tank bag. I put the firearm in pocket like you have here and then put it back on my person. What if I came off the bike ?. Firearm in bag gone the other way.
    Pulling firearm out when stopped at a light and turing to point at BG lose balance and tip bike over. (A heavy Bike). If you needed to pull firearm. Stop bike, kick side stand down. Get bike between you and BG for cover, pull out firearm.
    Gideon. Yes you can see the gauges. My tank bag also pops up to load more in it and you can still see them. The magnet's work good 130+ MPH and it does not shift.

I ride every day to and from work and I am also looking for an alternative to my OWB holster. It just sticks out too far, and is not really all that readily accessible.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I bought my wife a tank bag a while back for her bike and she loves it. There is a lot of room in the bag and when she gets off the bike it becomes her purse.

I never thought of one for myself, though it does seem like a good idea.

I carry on my person while on the bike. I may or may not have, depending on the situation, a gun in the Tank Bag too.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Biker

I prefer to have my G-36 on my person rather than in any compartment or tank bag.
    My Harley Electra Glide has plenty of places to stash a gun, but I can get on and off and the gun is never seen or exposed...just tucked IWB.

Stay armed...whatever works for ya'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Was wondering what you do with your gun when you get off the bike to go inside someplace?

Can you discretely holster up without brandishing your gun when you leave your bike or does your bag go with you like a purse?

I know two people who have had tank bags stolen in Kansas City while they were inside someplace. One was in a restaurant having dinner and the other guy was at a hospital visiting someone and bike was parked in the indoor parking garage. Neither of them had guns in the tank bags so that was a good thing but just losing the bag itself is losing a fair amount of coin let alone having a gun stolen too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I honestly can't conceive a situation where I was rolling and shooting while on the bike. In that type of situation I would definitely try to get the hell out of dodge first and not be some Chinese action hero.
    Prezactly.

Yeah, my issue would be when you stop for a bite to eat and water the alligators. If the bag comes right off and then is a purse/satchel you don't have to run the chance of being spotted holstering your gun. (BTW, if a woman carries it then its a purse, if a man carries it then its a satchel!)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links