How do you feel about pardons? - Page 3

How do you feel about pardons?

This is a discussion on How do you feel about pardons? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About 2 yrs ago after receiving his sentence for ARMED robbery, I witnessed the nitwit asking the judge if he could get a carry permit ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    About 2 yrs ago after receiving his sentence for ARMED robbery, I witnessed the nitwit asking the judge if he could get a carry permit as soon as he got out.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

I have no problems with pardons for people who have honestly turned their lives around after they are out of jail and have proven that they are no longer a problem but a productive member of society. That and that they have paid restitution to the people that they harmed to start with. I am not one of these at all that say if they aren't in jail then they deserve all the rights they had before going to jail. Punishment for someone can be much more than just jail and in fact for many is minor punishment compared to what is waiting on the outside.

Remember in the book "The Scarlet Letter" Hester Pryne was made to stand in front of the town for a day and be mocked. That was minor punishment compared to having to wear the Scarlet Letter for the rest of her life because she know there was an end to having to stand in front of the town.

For many felons the pain that their victims suffer never ends so why should theirs?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I think pardons should be given much more often. I also feel that after somebody has served their time, all of their rights should be reinstated. If they aren't responsible enough to have their rights reinstated, then our politicians need to keep them in jail...not curtail their rights.
    +1...

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Pardons are in the US Constitution, therefore I am for the idea. I don't always like their choices of recipients though.

I feel that non-violent felons should have gun rights restored immediately upon completion of their sentences.

The same legal writs and proceses that provide for making one a felon also provide for the pardon proces. They are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by treksouth View Post
    What's the general opinion on here about felons who've received pardons and now have gun rights?
    Depends on the felony.

I'm of the opinion that everything has become a felony, these days, in the quest to stop crimes. But, to me, felony violent crime is absolutely the one that should not equate to insta-pardon, in this regard. On the others, I don't much see the threat.

Reality is, though, folks that are going to do evil will typically arm themselves anyway. No ban I can put on paper will do a thing about it. So, why worry so much, on the front end? Why not simply stiffen the back-end penalty for being truly and feloniously violent? It would have a similar effect, though it would be more certain. In this sense, the "wild west" had it down. Some contemporary societies handle it just as efficiently and they rightly have comparatively little crime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am in the what was the Offense camp. The Lautenberg Ammendtment has slashed a lot of people who never did anything wrong.

For real Felons, I am not so sure. But I am willing to listen!

Lots of Felons only did "White Collar Crimes". IE. no one got physically hurt!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

There is a difference between a Pardon, and having a conviction overturned due to new technology or evidence that proves their innocence in the crime.

A Pardon indicates that a person was in fact guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and sentenced.

In this day and age where felonies are handed out like lollipops at the Dr. Office, it is real hard to say weather a pardon is acceptable, or having rights restored after completion.

I too am of the opinion that the prison system is more of an advance technical school and resort for criminals. They either get legitimate educations and have the potential to be reformed productive members of society, or they get further training in their profession that makes them more productive in their particular line of work that got them there in the first place.

Unfortunately all forms of government (Executive, Judicial, Legislative...and Media?) from the national level down to the very local small town have become so corrupt and mired in their own feces that nobody knows which way is up anymore.

Pardons for legitimate convictions and restoration of rights... Two different issues.

Should pardons be given to convicted persons? Depending on the crime and circumstances...I.E. The guy in IL, yes, absolutely. Restoration of his rights, again, yes. His actions were IMO acceptable, he had a gun to defend his life, family and property.

Martha Stewart and Joe Nacchio (Qwest exec) No pardon, no restoration of rights. They both ruined a lot of people, and because of their money and status they got off rather light for what they did.

These third world countries and their small villages that the human rights about have the justice system figured out and working well. Steal a thing, lose a hand. Take a life, you give up yours or one of yours (family member). Ruin somebody (finances, home...) they get what you have...basically trade places. Pardons or restoration of rights after the fact? What's that?

We should learn from the example.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

As for whote collar crimes where no one got hurt. In the Enron deal no one go physically hurt but there were many including most of us that were financially and emotionally hurt. There was a chain store several years back that I can't remember the name but one of the officers stole all the money from the company and fled the country. The chain store wound up going bankrupt and out of business costing thousands of employees their jobs and pensions. So to say that no one gets hurt with white collar crimes is not exactly correct.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links