How do you feel about pardons?

This is a discussion on How do you feel about pardons? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the general opinion on here about felons who've received pardons and now have gun rights? How do you feel about them receiving ccw's or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about pardons?

Question How do you feel about pardons?

What's the general opinion on here about felons who've received pardons and now have gun rights? How do you feel about them receiving ccw's or the like depending upon which state they are in?

2. Remove Ads

I think pardons should be given much more often. I also feel that after somebody has served their time, all of their rights should be reinstated. If they aren't responsible enough to have their rights reinstated, then our politicians need to keep them in jail...not curtail their rights.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I don't have a problem with it depending on what the felony was. By this I mean I don't feel Martha Stewart is a threat and should be denied the ability to defend herself with a gun if she wanted to do so. Of course she can afford armed protection but you get my point. Her crime was not one of violence. If the felony was violent I don't think they should have gun rights restored.

The problem now-a-days is what constitutes a felony. When I was a kid, (I hate using that term but oh well), murder, rape, kidnapping, treason were felonies and that was about it. You could get the death penalty if convicted for any of these too. Now you can become a felon for jaywalking while scratching your butt at the same time. They have dumbed-down the term by making just about any crime a felony.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; July 11th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I think it all depends personally. If the pardon was because of who knew who, ie your the governors second cousin, or something like that, well why should you be reinstated a right that someone else has been stripped of for life. That kind of stuff just pisses me off. If you were pardoned because there was evidence found that indicated that you were wrongly convicted, well then certainly you need your full rights restored.

If a person serves their time after a conviction, or if they are on parole, well that is a totally different issue and should not be confused with a pardon.

I don't necessarily buy into if it was a non violent thing then you should be given your rights back and if it was a violent thing you shouldn't. If someone does a white collar crime and ruins your life, putting you in the poor house or messing up your credit, your life is just as misserable afterwards as it would be if they shot or stabbed you and caused you to have medical bills or loss of work whatever and resulted in your life being misserable. If your a criminal I don't have much sympathy for you personally.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I like that you say they dumbed down the term felony. But I don't think it's becuase almost anything is a felony nowadays. I think its because you can get a felony conviction and serve no time, pay little fines, and server no community service. The lack or lessor punishment has dumbed down a felony. 17 years ago, having a felony conviction was bad. Now, no one cares that you have a felony. I really hate how young adults can get felony convictions and the parents act like it's no big deal. A felony is a big deal.

Senior Moderator
    Depends on the case.

A man in Illinois was convicted of illegally owning a handgun.

After he was found not guilty of excessive use of force for killing a burglar that broke into his home in the middle of the night, the local prosecutor then charged him with illegal possession of a handgun because city ordinances had banned them.
    He was found guilty and is now serving time...for something that is legal in most citys and because a rabid anti-gun prosecuter was enraged that he lost his case.

Now we have the Heller vs. D.C. desicion.

Should he be let out and his rights restored?

Dang straight.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Are you talking about a pardon or having rights restored after serving sentence......2 different things entirely.

As a rule, I'm opposed to pardons unless there's clear evidence that a real travesty of justice occurred.

I also think that loss of certain rights is part of the punishment for certain crimes and that it's becoming far too easy to have those rights restored, simply by asking nicely. If you can't (or don't want to) do the time, don't do the crime.

Of course, I've been accused of being a before......but in the grand scheme of things, I'm ok with that.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Agree

In most states a convicted felon loses his gun rights for life, and also his right to vote. That is fine with me.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Are you talking about a pardon or having rights restored after serving sentence......2 different things entirely.
    I'm talking about pardons, not rights automatically returned after probation.
    Last edited by treksouth; July 11th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

A pardon due to an error in the conviction...no problem, but if it were my choice, felons (depending upon the crime) would be serving looooooong sentences and no 'good time behavior' crap.

Second time offenders wouldn't have to worry about being outside of prison. No A/C, no TV, no weightrooms, no smoking...plenty of hard labor! No work, no food!

We could make more room in some prisons by clearing out all the death rows...immediately!

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A pardon due to an error in the conviction...no problem, but if it were my choice, felons (depending upon the crime) would be serving looooooong sentences and no 'good time behavior' crap.

Second time offenders wouldn't have to worry about being outside of prison. No A/C, no TV, no weightrooms, no smoking...plenty of hard labor! No work, no food!

We could make more room in some prisons by clearing out all the death rows...immediately!

OMO
    I approve this message.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

OMO
    You running for office? You have my vote.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I would have no problem with a pardon or full restoration of a felons rights if that felon has paid his debt to society. This would include making full restitution to the victims and their families, paying for the cost of trial, costs of prosecutors, investigators, and lab work, fair pay to the jury for their time, payment for any legal aid services, and paying the costs of keeping them locked up. Anything less would be unfair to the victims and the tax payers. And until an ex-con has demonstrated his rehabilitation by sweating away at honest work to make whole again those who were damaged by his criminal act, how dare such a person expect to have all the rights of an honest citizen?

Yes, I know, that's not a kinder, gentler viewpoint, not politically correct either. But just why should a criminal be able to 'rob' us of free room and board? Why should an inmate get a free college education while some honest people have to borrow or work two jobs to afford one? Our prison system is posh enough that many of these folks are regular, repeat guests at the Iron Bar Resort.

We need to make the consequences of a felony conviction so awful that upon release the felon will really, really want to stay out and so be forced do the unthinkable: get a job and obey the law.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member

pardons should be given much more often

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I think pardons should be given much more often. I also feel that after somebody has served their time, all of their rights should be reinstated. If they aren't responsible enough to have their rights reinstated, then our politicians need to keep them in jail...not curtail their rights.
    With some due diligence and careful selection, I agree.

I think those two Border Patrol agents should be pardoned, have their rights restored, be given their jobs back, more ammo and back pay...

on a broader note - self defense is a right recognized by the US Constitution as coming from a higher authority, and as such only that higher authority has the right to remove it... that being said if you're caught doing the crime - expect to do ALL of the time (truth in sentencing) and I vote no more TV and AC bring back the labor gangs...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links