Moving to non friendly CCW state :(

This is a discussion on Moving to non friendly CCW state :( within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ugh, this is definately a two sided issue. I am a proud CPL holder in MI, i recently graduated college (january) and have been seeking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to non friendly CCW state :(

Ugh, this is definately a two sided issue. I am a proud CPL holder in MI, i recently graduated college (january) and have been seeking a job in my field (CAD/Design) while i am glad to have found a nice paying entry level job, unfortunately it is in WI. I will be making my new residence in Neenah, WI come July 20th and will be denied my right. i will be taking my XD's with me so i cannot become a victim in my new apartment, but i will also be working on a letter to whoever it is i need to send it to to let them know how unhappy i am about living in their state.

It's something i have to do for my career, and the company itself seems like a good company (Oshkosh Truck Corporation) but their location sucks.

I have started looking online some and it looks like there is an active community out there fighting for rights that i can take part in, but the governer is apparantly a blind

Do a knock out job with your CAD and then ask if they have a position out of state. If not, stay a maximum of two years and push on. Most employers want to hire somebody who stayed at least two years at their last job. Good luck, and don't come to California!! (Its just as bad as WI)

Administrator
    WI has a lot of hunting and fishing... To bad the Madison liberals are running the place.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It is unfortunate that our governor has twice vetoed our concealed carry law, and that the over-ride vote only failed because a couple of state rep's who voted "yes" the first time (knowing it the Governor would veto) changed and voted "no" for the over-ride.

But I think you'll find it's not all that bad. I've been living in Neenah for about six years now, and it's a decent community. In fact, I drive past Oshkosh Truck twice a day, on my way to work, and again on my way home.

While I wish our lawmakers had seen fit to allow concealed carry, I can also tell you that Neenah is a fairly safe area. I'm not saying we don't have crime, or robberies, or the occassional murder. But the "rough" parts of town are pretty easy to avoid, and I've never felt threatened.

Granted, my story is just one person's perspective, but I also take steps to stay safe. My wife and I live in an apartment in a nice area, and we chose an upper unit because the entry door (which is always locked) is the only way in (unless someone climbs the brick wall to reach a second-story window).

We don't visit the "bar scene" and there are plenty of other places to go. We don't aimlessly wander the streets at night either. I'm pretty alert to what's happening around me, and I've become "paranoid" enough (or at least, some might see it that way) that I even roll up my truck windows before stopping at a traffic light (I figure it's a good habit to develop for times I'm in other cities or neighborhoods -- and why not be safe?).

When we go out, I typically carry a Surefire flashlight, pepperspray, and a small pocket knife (like a 3" Sypyderco). Frankly, unless someone threatens us with a firearm, I'm pretty confident I can "defuse" or escape most situations. Even at the "nice" restaurants, I usually have either the light or spray in one hand while walking to the car (depending on darkness and wind conditions).

My point is that although concealed carry is prohibited here, Neenah is a pretty nice community. Drop me an email sometime, and perhaps we can meet up at a local gun club for a shooting session. I've wanted to try an XD ;-) and you'd be welcome to test any of my firearms, from the NAA mini revolver to the Taurus .44 Tracker. Contact zalewskiej@hotmail.com

Ed

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am just kind of curious, with all the job hunting you must have done, why did you pick this job? Why not look for positions in CCW friendly states?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

thanks biged, i might have to take you up on that offer, i looked up where some ranges were and im not too far from one at my apartment, and there is one that looks to be nice west of oshkosh that offers USPSA shoots that should keep me busy and on top of my game. If we get together, you will love the XDm (and not many people have had their hands on one enough to actually shoot down range)

exactlymypoint, i was looking here in michigan, and so often i was finding jobs requiring 3-5 years on the job experience, i have internship experience and my 2 year degree. I had 1 other interview near detroit that didnt pan out, and other entry level positions were offering $10/hr doing stupid crap, im managing at a hardware store and i couldnt take the hit in pay quite yet for experience.

When emailing my references to let them know they are still on my list, my CATIA instructor informed me of an out of state job opportunity, it was with Oshkosh, i sent a resume out on a whim and it snowballed wuick to a prelimanry phone call for more details, then a phone interview, then they flew me out there all expenses paid within 10 days of emailing my resume. and the money is better than anything else i've seen for entry level.

I need to get out, and on my own completely, and this step is a big one, but one thats necessary. Thanks for the kind words. And especially thanks to biged, From the looks of it, Appleton looks like a great city with a lot to offer, and yes, much safer than Flint, MI (dont dare go downtown there without a weapon or two)

Administrator
    You made the smart choice... you have to be able to make a good living. I'm sure WI will come around someday, but the experience you will get will be even more valuable than your degree. I say suck it up, and drive on. Congrats on the diploma, and the new job.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Some of use would love to move to a friendly CCW state, but....

I was born in a small town in northern Wisconsin, went to college, took a job in Green Bay after graduating, and eventually changed jobs to one in Neenah. My wife and I just built a vacation cottage on some property "up north" that makes a wonderful getaway, and our families live around here. I've been at my current job for nine years -- I love my work (how many people ENJOY their jobs?) and my company is great. I'll probably stay there until I retire (I'm only 37 now) and be happy about it.

It's easy to suggest moving to another state, but it's a bit different when you've established your family, made a home, and found a great career. I wouldn't give up any of it. Someone "starting out" has a bit more choice. When I graduated college, I refused to send resumes to Madison or Milwaukee -- I didn't want to live in either city. But now that I've settled in, I don't want to give up everything for a "gun friendly" state.

And apierce918, I know the range you mean. I was a member there for a couple of years. It's a nice little place with probably fewer than 100 members. Most times I went (after work, or weekend mornings) I was the only person there. Nice to have the whole range to yourself. I let my membership there expire, and joined another club that was closer (I live about 20 miles north of the one you found). My new club has ranges from 15 yards to 300 yards, for the same annual fee. It's nice, but now I'm doing a lot of my shooting "up north" at an old gravel pit about two miles from my cabin.

Now I just have to find some places to hunt around there. Our cabin is only one mile from dozens of square miles of National Forest, but during deer season, there's a truck parked every 300 yards on every road! Maybe I'll take up muzzleloading and try the blackpowder season....

where abouts in neenah? The apartments i found are just west on highway 10 off 41. looks like about 1/2 from 41. was kind of hard doing it sight unseen, but finding a place that was willing to take my size dog narrowed my options down a lot.

I live in Ft. Waynie, IN...and I might be able to help you find something good in a really feiendly, and close, state. PM me what your experience and what field you're interested in, along with a quick synopsis of your education. If you're interested.

Off to sleep, will reply this weekend.
    Last edited by youngda9; July 12th, 2008 at 08:37 AM.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Sounds like you made a good career move. We don't always get everything we want, but I think in the long run, this should work out for you.

I certainly wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

moving

good luck to you and stay safe in wi.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I'm actually on the north side of Appleton just off the Hwy 47 / Richmond Street exit (on the north side of Appleton, Hwy 41 runs east-west, and Richmond runs north-south). My apartment complex is about 1/2 mile north of Hwy 41. My office is at the extreme southern end of Neenah, about a 15 mile commute, which takes about 20 minutes (Oshkosh truck should be several miles closer).

I believe dogs are allowed. We don't have a dog, but I've seen others walking them, and everybody got a notice this spring about "cleaning up"after their dogs. All units are 2 bedrooms, and prices range from $625 to $655 per month, which includes heat.

The complex is called Rangeview Villas, and the rental office number is (920) 380-0650.

It's a pretty nice neighborhood -- mostly brand-new houses being built, which sell for $230,000 and up. Frankly, if we didn't have an apartment here, we couldn't afford to live in a neighborhood this nice.

Welcome to the State Apierce, maybe we can form some sort of thread to tract our Wi Woes and keep each other informed when CC comes up again. Biged..50% chance you drive through my town on your way 'Up north' .

I know a guy that works for Oshkosh Truck. I was born and raised in Oshkosh. Good area. Like you said, no CCW really sucks. I hate going to WI to visit family because of this.

Trouble is, as long as Doyle is governor, there is no possible CCW.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links