Printing in Florida?

Printing in Florida?

This is a discussion on Printing in Florida? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ive had some mixed answers, is it or is it not illegal to print?? i carry open 98% of the time(i have the gift of ...

Thread: Printing in Florida?

Printing in Florida?

ive had some mixed answers, is it or is it not illegal to print??

i carry open 98% of the time(i have the gift of gab :P and talk to people about carrying and direct them to georgiapacking.org and georgiacarry.org all the time)

well i live about 40 mins from the fl line, i travel to the city of Jacksonville frequently i always have carried in my owb blackhawk serpa(concealed of course by my shirt) and i know im printing. Last time i dined next to some jax SO leos they said nothing to me but i overheard them talking about me carrying, but nothing was said to me. was i legal or not? i plan on commuting to Jacksonville tomorrow after church.

if it is illegal anyone have the stautes or case laws stating thanks

It depends on how badly you are printing. The law says that for the firearm to be considered open it has to be "visible to common observation". The problem with that is that if someone sees your weapon under your shirt and knows what it is, that would be visible to common observation. An officer having a bad day could book you on that, potentially. I would find a better method of concealing! Just my .02..
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    An occasional print will not get you any citations. Even an occasional period of UNCONCEALment will not get you a citation as long as it was accidental and you immediately cover back up.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    An occasional print will not get you any citations. Even an occasional period of UNCONCEALment will not get you a citation as long as it was accidental and you immediately cover back up.
    I agree ...
    A while ago, in a restaurant where LEO go often, I went to the restroom and some how my vest got stuck between my Glock and my shirt, totally exposing the pistol. I didn't notice it and walked out of the bathroom as 2 deputies were entering; one of them whispered "something is showing"; I immediately checked to see if my fly was zipped up ... they almost died laughing and they were pulling my leg about it every time we met thereafter.
    As the previous poster said, if it NOT intentional and you correct the situation with no fuss, there is no problem.
    In my over 20 years of carry in S. Fl. the wind has blown my vest, jacket, etc more than once and the worst that happened was a discussion on the merit of the SIG vs. the Glock !
    But then, I don't look like a gang-banger, even when I wear my Harley T-shirt and my riding boots

Florida law can best be summed up as concealed means concealed. As another poster mentioned, a pissy / rookie / something to prove cop could really push the issue if you are printing / actually showing. I really don't think that is anything close to the norm, but why risk it?

Now if you look like a dirtbag and are mexican carrying your experience may be slightly less friendly.

I dress around the gun I am carrying if there is any doubt or I opt for a much smaller gun and remove the doubt. P3AT and the like are your friend when you know you can't print.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    +1.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Here's what the law says...

790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(2) "Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2007->Ch0790->Section 001 : flsenate.gov

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd encourage you to change carry method or cover, or both to eliminate the printing. It's just not worth the hassle that could arise.
    If LEO's are discussing it, you have to wonder who else might be?

Sponsored Links