Completed my class

This is a discussion on Completed my class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My instructor here in MN recommended shooting at least 50 rounds a month and find good reading material about carrying handguns. He also said that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completed my class

My instructor here in MN recommended shooting at least 50 rounds a month and find good reading material about carrying handguns. He also said that newbies should stick to one gun until they're are proficient with it before rotating back-n-forth between multiple guns. Here's the reading material I found and it has lots of great information in it.

Amazon.com: The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense (Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, & Shoot a Gun in Self Defense): Chris Bird: Books

2. Remove Ads

We told our students that this was the only the beginning of the knowledge they needed. I told them where to find the most updated information on the laws here in TN, gave them the actual TN code numbers so they could look them up themselves, gave them advice on handguns to choose.
    That's why I like the NRA basic Pistol class. It goes above and beyond the "basic" TN CCW class. The state video is so outdated it's awful...but it's required viewing.
    I do feel good that we had one lady who had never fired a handgun before. We took her from 22s all the way up to 45LC. When we started she was so scared and nervous she was shaking.
    She qualified with one of the higher scores and told me she ended up enjoying herself by the time we were done.
    I told them again to seek out more training, either through us or another school...but to take more training, practice, and to be safe
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Congrats...on the new permit!

Everyone (almost) has the RKBA, and it doesn't say anything about how much training is required to go along with that right.
    Common sense dictates that one should 'know' how to use his or her tools.Stay armed...get training...stay safe!
    Unfortunately common sense seems to be in very short supply these days. I understand both sides of this argument but I swear that there must be something in the water anymore causing brain cells to die rapidly.

I believe that everybody who is able to carry should carry. But when one person in the class shows up with a $1500 race gun and doesn't even know how it freakin works, there is something wrong with that picture. Take the time to learn your weapon before you come to this class is all I am saying. I know you don't have to be a good shot to have a permit, but take some pride in what you are doing and practice to achieve this.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

My experience having taken two CHL classes for two different states, is that in general, instructors WANT you to pass, and get your license. To me this is not a bad thing. I want instructors to do what is in their power to get law abiding people carrying on the street.

So let me ask you this. Which do you prefer

1. A citizen with excellent marksmanship with little understanding of the laws
    2. A citizen with poor marksmanship with excellent understanding of the law

Ideally, we want both, but we know that isn't always the case. For me, I would be okay with just eliminating the range time and have the class focus more on the law. Personally, I don't care if you can hit a quarter at 50 yards with your 9mm. What I do care is that you fully understand the laws, when deadly force is authorized, the penalties associated with irresponsible carry, etc. I want SMARTER people carrying, not better shooting people carrying. Why? Because the odds of you ever having to shoot the weapon is very small. However, you will be hit daily with legal questions/situations that you will have to respond to. Also, when you DO have to shoot, I would guarantee you that the distances will be very short. I doubt few of you will be making 35-40 yard shots with your gun. If you can hit a man size target in 5-15 feet then I'm sure you are ready for most CHL situations.

Personally, what I have observed about CHL holders are more interested in their guns and holster than the actual laws. I've met some that haven't pick up their law booklets that they got in the course since they took the course. But they could tell you the exact breakdown procedure of their 1911, or all of Federal's bullet offerings, or every holster offered. Quite frankly this scares me. Don't believe me? Look at this very forum. The Concealed Carry gun forum has almost 6000 threads, the Concealed Holsters thread has close to 4000 threads, and the Concealed Carry Situations thread has barely 1000. More people are interested in learning their weapon than learning actual situations where they can use them.

So let me bring to light an example. In my class, we had one female. She had just bought the weapon days before the class, and didn't even know how to use it. She passed the marksmanship part, but just barely. Now, by many of your accounts she shouldn't have been qualified to get her CHL. She should have been shooting 3000+ rounds in her gun first. Well, the reason she got her CHL was that she worked as a nurse on 3rd shift. She got off very early in the morning and had an incident a couple of weeks before the class walking to her car that really scared her. Her first instinct was to get a CHL to protect herself. Do you guys think that she does not have pride in doing this, and should practice more before getting her CHL?

So let me ask you this. Which do you prefer

1. A citizen with excellent marksmanship with little understanding of the laws
    2. A citizen with poor marksmanship with excellent understanding of the law
    An excellent question and I agree totally that too much emphasis is put on marksmanship by some people. In SC the shooting portion of the test is to put 30 of 50 round in a full size silhouette target from 3 to 15 yards. If you can't do that then I really don't want to stand around you while you are shooting.

Being able to place 10 rounds at 15 yards in a quarter size hole is wonderful but will rarely be needed in a real life situation. However knowing the laws will be part of every day carry. I have said before that I want people to at least know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of but they need a much greater knowledge of the laws. The Castle Doctrine is not shoot first at anything that moves law.

I fully agree with everyone when saying that concealed weapon holders need to know the laws more than they need to know how to shoot. I have no problem with that. If you have to right to defend yourself, then by all means exercise that right. I was just pointing out that people need to further their skills after completing the course to better themselves should a situation arise in which you would need to use your weapon.

That is why I waited a few months to take the course after purchasing my handgun. I had only shot long guns growing up with the occasional handgun thrown into the mix. When I set out to do something, I am seen as a perfectionist because if you are going to do something, you might as well do it to the best of your abilities. In no way am I saying that if you can't shoot, you shouldn't carry. Just want that to be known.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

I think both knowledge of the law and still with their chosen firearm are important. It's difficult to say which is MORE important. The two are not mutually exclusive thankfully. We spent much more time teaching technique, grip, breath control, trigger control, etc than we did discussing the laws.
    In a class, I'd say shooting technique is more important than teaching them the laws. They can study the laws on their own time, they paid for firearms training, that's what they got.
    It's up to them to go further. For some people, the basics are all they'll ever do. Most of them won't carry a firearm...it's too much trouble.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links