A huge scare today and a warning about pocket carry!!!!

This is a discussion on A huge scare today and a warning about pocket carry!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my Glock 26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster in my Dockers, and I have never had that problem. Glad that it turned ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A huge scare today and a warning about pocket carry!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I carry my Glock 26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster in my Dockers, and I have never had that problem. Glad that it turned out ok.
    Thay also have a great holster for carrying a spare magazine. I've been carrying an extra mag in my back pocket since I received it in the mail.

2. Remove Ads

Much respect for sharing that. I'm not sure I would have the cojones to do so. I'm sure you'll take the necessary precautions in the future. Thinking about the possibilities turns my stomach; when I do end up getting a small BUG for pocket carry/running/etc, your story alone has convinced me a good pocket holster is an absolute necessity.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I appreciate the kind words and accept the rebukes and for sure I'll never carry my J frame in the uncle mikes again.

Thanks for the post! Definitely has me on alert since I frequently pocket carry.

So far no problems with my DeSantis Nemesis, but then again, you never know you have a holster problem until something like that happens!

So, kudos to you for having the character to post your experience! Your integrity does not go unnoticed!

Thanks again sir!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The elevation of awareness resulting from sharing your experience with us is priceless Gideon. Thank God nothing happened.

I will definitely take heed and adjust my CCW method accordingly…

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Playing the role of Captain Obvious here, you need to get a better holster asap. The Uncle Mikes stuff just doesn't cut it as you found out... almost the hard way.
    +1

Uncle Mike's = big plate of failure.

I use a DeSantis Nemesis for my pocket carry, and really like it. I'd suggest giving one a try.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Late to the party, but also wanted to say thanks for sharing!

I've had good luck with a Galco pocket holster. The leather is rough on the outside and smooth on the inside - draw is smooth, but there's enough tension that the gun won't come out accidentally.

Great Post

I use aMilt Sparks for my Seecamp never had a problem and have one on order for my 642. Good Luck.

Everytime I hear about something like this I think about those that try to claim they are perfect and nothing bad/stupid ever happens them and AD/ND's can never happen to you if you just pay attention. We should not blow this out of proportion and I am glad you posted it. Things happen and we can only try to minimize and learn from them.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Gideon.

I'd recommend trying a Desantis Nemesis or Superfly. Make sure you pick the right size for your handgun.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting your story, it serves as a reminder to all of us. I've had my pockeknife slide out of my pocket like that quite a few times. I often pocket carry a G-27 or an LCP, and I can see how that can happen. Somehow I've gotten in the subtle habit of occasionally readjusting it, checking on it, or touching it during the time I have it in my pocket. So far I've had good luck, thanks again for the reminder.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

+1 for the FIST kydex holster.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I often pocket carry a S&W 642 ... Nice deep roomy pockets ... sitting on the sofa. When I went to leave i stood up and ... my J frame had slipped out of my pocket, out of the holster and slipped between the two couch cushions and was in butt first with the barrel pointin up.
    Looking on the bright side of having a bum hip/leg, it turns out that I need a bit of help with stability the first second after getting upright from a sitting position. Invariably, I find my right hand going to a support, with my left hand in front of the left hip to stabilize things. Nicely, that's the pocket where I carry. Hence, I can mask things while ensuring it remains in the pocket.

Of course, things get less than rosy if I'm doing the Yaqui slide holster. Did that once when knowing sitting down would be one of the activities. Let's just say that quick-draw is one of the features of the Yaqui. Hmph.

Hint: Attach a thin bit of (the stickier/rubberier variety of) neoprene or suede to the outer surfaces of that pocket holster, and it'll stick in there much better. For an example, check the Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy holster.

Anyway. Nice warning, though. Good to be aware of things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Don't just buy a pistol pocket for your pocket, get a pocket holster. Kramer is the way to go. Don't be swayed by the price, it's very worth it.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your story...comes under "one can't fix it if they don't know it's broken". Your story is a great reminder to all...in so many ways.

Rick

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links