A huge scare today and a warning about pocket carry!!!!

This is a discussion on A huge scare today and a warning about pocket carry!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I give you credit for sharing this incident with us but you made an error in judgement for carrying into another's home without their knowledge ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A huge scare today and a warning about pocket carry!!!!

I give you credit for sharing this incident with us but you made an error in judgement for carrying into another's home without their knowledge and/or approval. Something to think about before doing so again.

2. Remove Ads

You might want to consider a fanny-pack holder. Not sure what the fashion is where you are, but plenty of guys around here wear them, and you would just blend right in. No chance of losing it out of a pocket.

Thanks for sharing that story!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    I give you credit for sharing this incident with us but you made an error in judgement for carrying into another's home without their knowledge and/or approval. Something to think about before doing so again.
    Does everyone routinely ask for approval? I don't, it's just something that comes along with me..
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Semperfi.45...Do you assume it's your 'right' to carry in another's home?

Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    Semperfi.45...Do you assume it's your 'right' to carry in another's home?
    I acknowledge it's someone's right to ask me to leave, if they choose. Doesn't mean I have a right, in someone else's home, to stay beyond my welcome. Goes for business establishments, too. (Private property rights and all, which are equally important for controlling your destiny.) But, none of that has any bearing whatever on whether I carry. I carry where I go; if asked to leave, I do. Works for me. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I too don't ask...if one is concealed...it is concealed. Does one ask every establishment they visit...I think not.

Rick

I guess it's something I never gave much thought to. I carry as a LEO and there are no restrictions on my carry at all. I guess it could be respectful to ask about carrying into a person's home, but again, concealed is concealed.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Thank god it all worked out for you. Got guardian angels??.........
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Ron
    I also pocket carry a 642 in a Mika pocket holster. The revolver can slip out and I am very aware of it and thus careful about the pants I wear and how I sit. But, thanks much for the reminder.

I would never carry in the home of a person who I either know, or have reason to believe, would object to a gun in their home. But, if neither of those exists, then I don't make a point of asking permission.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting. Its a good reminder of the responsibility we accepted when we took on ccw. Also good to remember holsters wear out over time. If it won't snugly hold the weapon, its time for a replacement or upgrade.

I learned early on that Uncle Mike's pocket holsters all too frequently would allow a J-frame snub to slip completely out and end up deposited on whatever I happened to be sitting on at the time.

I've been VERY satisfied with Kramer pocket holsters for the past twelve (12) years and would recommend them without reservation!

As soon as I read Uncle Mikes I knew the story. IMO if your really care about keeping your gun in you pocket when it should be get a quality pocket holster. I know K&D Holster makes holsters for your gun. K&D is my go to holster maker but there are a multitude of quality holster makers out there that will make you a real functional holster that will do more than keep lint off of your gun. I very pro gun but had that happened in my home you would have gotten a ear full and you would not carry on my property with a good holster ever again. You are 100% on the mark it could have resulted in a child getting their head blown off. In my mind not an acceptable risk to save $70 odd dollars. Get a good retention pocket holster end of problem. Sorry if this post sounds harsh it is not an attack. I respect that you have the fortitude to post your mishap Please do the right thing and carry responsibly, get and use proper equipment for your gun
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I would never carry in the home of a person who I either know, or have reason to believe, would object to a gun in their home. But, if neither of those exists, then I don't make a point of asking permission.
    +1. I don't consider it my right to carry in your home, but unless it's clear that they don't want it, I'm carrying.

echobaby, do you ask every business owner or manager whose property you visit if they mind whether you carry? If you don't, do you then think it's your right to carry on their premises?

Of course not. I apply the same rules to homes and businesses. Unless it's posted or requested or made clear somehow, I'm generally going to carry.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Much to be considered, much to be learned for any who would have an ear to hear. To answer some of the questions...

-I don't ask most folks if I can carry when I enter their homes. Many would likely be okay with it but as a Pastor who visits many homes, I wouldn't be able to serve effectively if I did ask. If I knew somehow that someone felt real strong I might be inclined to not carry in their home but I always considered it as simply being "concealed" carry so I conceal it. I do follow the law about posted places as a general rule but I have been guilty of not complying with a stores "no weapons" sign. I do feel guilty as a Christian about that so I now try to comply with those signs. When I started carrying I did a lot of soul searching about carrying in peoples homes, around my family, in church, especailly when standing up and preaching God's word. I made peace about it after lining up what I believe are relevant principles in the word of God.

-Uncle Mikes do stick in your pocket well and it did this time. The gun slipped out of the UM because the inside of the holster is so slick on purpose to aid in the draw. The holster in question was relatively new. I've always wondered why anyone would want any kind of retention strap on anything other than a hunting sidearm or if ordered by a department but now I can see why.

-I'm going to purchase a good holster that holds the gun unless "I" release it and I do like the Fist kydex because you have to push on a thumb piece to pop the gun out. It can also be had with an anti-print panel. I've had a few good quality leather pocket holsters for my LCP and P3AT but most of them print and the K&D I have is very loose. (Don't hold that against K&D, I personlly think they're an outstanding value in holsters!)

-I thought I had suitable gear and I've carried like this for years and never had a problem.

-The Bible does show the existence of guardian angels. It doesn't tell us much about them but if they help it's at the direction of our Lord and He WAS helping me that day.

I saw the couple today at church and they were great and happy and OBVIOUSLY did not see!

About the only thing that comes close in order of importance to how I handle the word of God when preaching and teaching is how I handle my weapons. Fear of God keeps me careful with His Word; fear of what "can" happen if i'm careless with my weapon ought to keep me more careful. I thought I was but I discovered a weak ***** in the armor so to speak.

I appreciate the kind words and humbly accept the rebukes. The longer I carry, the more I appreciate a decent sized weapon in a quality IWB holster. My EDC is a Colt New Agent and I'll have a new HBE COM3 for it next week. When that's on my hip I'm concious of it at all times.

I have a LCP I've carried all day and I never think about it. Just need to be a bit aware of those guns that we really do "forget we have on".

God is good!

As to whether a person legally carrying a concealed firearm SHOULD advise those homeowners whom they may be visiting, one must remember that the more people YOU tell that you carry, the quicker EVERYBODY will know!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links