A huge scare today and a warning about pocket carry!!!!

This is a discussion on A huge scare today and a warning about pocket carry!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wasn't going to post this but I felt some kind of allegiance to all of you. I had a HUGE scare today I often pocket ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Wasn't going to post this but I felt some kind of allegiance to all of you. I had a HUGE scare today

I often pocket carry a S&W 642 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Today i was doing so in a pair of pleated dockers. Nice deep roomy pockets so I took the J frame instead of the LCP. Was visiting a family and I was sitting on the sofa. When I went to leave i stood up and was going to walk towards the door but for some reason I glanced own and my heart just about stopped!

my J frame had slipped out of my pocket, out of the holster and slipped between the two couch cushions and was in butt first with the barrel pointin up. I was right next to my friends wife and just reached down and grabbed it even as she was talking to me and slipped it into my pocket.

She has a small toddler boy. I don't think she saw it because if she had I think she would have become extremely upset! I think I would have notice the lack of a buldge after the first step or two but didn't notice when it slipped out. We were having a very serious conversation that totally captivated all of us and I kept moving around on the couch.

I could only me imagine forgetting about it untill I was on the road and their little boy finding my loaded gun in their sofa!

I've had knives, change, and other things slip out of certain pockets before, especially the looser docker's style pockets buit NEVER my J frame or LCP. It scared me silly!

I haven't quite settled on what this means for me but thought I'd put it out there for others to think about! I'm so comfortable with that J frame or an LCP in my pocket that I do "FORGET" it's there! The LCP in jeans pockets won't come out like that but in the looser dockers!

I guarauntee that in the future I'll be thinking alot more about it when I'm pocket carrying and I'm not sure that I will pocket carry my 642 in the same pants/holster combination again!

I doubt that toddler could have even pulled the trigger on my 642 but still!!! The embarrassement alone and what they would have thought about me would have been devestating! They don't carry and don't know that I do either!!

This also got me to thinking about when we start getting old enough that we're not as attentive and not as able to remember ; just like when it's time to stop driving, I wonder when it's going to be time to stop carrying!

So, for what it's worth guys and gals; keep an eye on what's in your pocket!!

Thank God things worked out the way they did. I also carry a 642 in my pocket and use a RKBA holster. I'm glad to say that your situation has never happened to me....yet. Thanks for giving all of us a heads up to keep even more notice of our "pocket protectors". And yeah you're right it is very easy to forget your 642 in a pocket I've done it myself.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Get a holster. That incident could have ruined your life and the lives of the folks you were visiting.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Now that is a scary situation, thanks for the heads up. Glad it worked out well and you were able to retrieve your weapon with no one else noticing.

Well Tallyxd, you're right! I did have a holster but the Uncle Mikes pocket "holster's" are real slick material on the inside. They stick in the pocket but enable the gun to be drawn easily; too easily!!

I'm thinking I need something that'll take more effort to draw!
    but you're right about how serious it was. It still makes me sick to think about it and it makes me take pause about the incredible responsibility we assume when we take up that weapon!!

Well, I suspect you won't or can't ditch the dockers, so ditch the Uncle Mikes. The stories of guns dumping out on the sofa, floor, bed, car, theater floor, mall floor, etc... are the stuff of legend.

I'm real particular about my pants...hence the dockers comment.

Glad it turned out ok though.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Wasn't going to post this but I felt some kind of allegiance to all of you. I had a HUGE scare today

I often pocket carry a S&W 642 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Today i was doing so in a pair of pleated dockers. Nice deep roomy pockets so I took the J frame instead of the LCP. Was visiting a family and I was sitting on the sofa. When I went to leave i stood up and was going to walk towards the door but for some reason I glanced own and my heart just about stopped!

my J frame had slipped out of my pocket, out of the holster and slipped between the two couch cushions and was in butt first with the barrel pointin up. I was right next to my friends wife and just reached down and grabbed it even as she was talking to me and slipped it into my pocket.

She has a small toddler boy. I don't think she saw it because if she had I think she would have become extremely upset! I think I would have notice the lack of a buldge after the first step or two but didn't notice when it slipped out. We were having a very serious conversation that totally captivated all of us and I kept moving around on the couch.

I could only me imagine forgetting about it untill I was on the road and their little boy finding my loaded gun in their sofa!

I've had knives, change, and other things slip out of certain pockets before, especially the looser docker's style pockets buit NEVER my J frame or LCP. It scared me silly!

I haven't quite settled on what this means for me but thought I'd put it out there for others to think about! I'm so comfortable with that J frame or an LCP in my pocket that I do "FORGET" it's there! The LCP in jeans pockets won't come out like that but in the looser dockers!

I guarauntee that in the future I'll be thinking alot more about it when I'm pocket carrying and I'm not sure that I will pocket carry my 642 in the same pants/holster combination again!

I doubt that toddler could have even pulled the trigger on my 642 but still!!! The embarrassement alone and what they would have thought about me would have been devestating! They don't carry and don't know that I do either!!

This also got me to thinking about when we start getting old enough that we're not as attentive and not as able to remember ; just like when it's time to stop driving, I wonder when it's going to be time to stop carrying!

So, for what it's worth guys and gals; keep an eye on what's in your pocket!!
    Mighty Beloved!! Quit being so hard on yourself, pal! You are so brave to post such boldfaced testimony, and I'll not tolerate anyone who downs you for sharing this teeth-grittingly clear example of what it means to be a sheepdog.

What happened to you could have happend to any of us, and this has forced me to revisit the revisited...aspects of my habits of concealed carry that may not be as airtight as I'd like to think. Fear motivates, as they say, and I've a feeling you'll become exemplary regarding subconsious monitoring of where your gun is and where your gun isn't!.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Thank you very much for sharing this experience.

Also, I'm glad you had this experience. No one was hurt and you're clearly motivated and eager to solve the problem so my hat's off to you.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

shop for a good front pocket holster. Alot cheaper than bail and /or attorney fees...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

any recommendations for a good holster? I have a K&D pocket defender for my LCP but don't use it any more because it prints bad.
    thanks guys

May I suggest a Fist kydex pocket holster...the gun will not tip in the pocket, and it will not fall out when laying or sitting down. A built in 'thumb push' releases the gun, and only the gun comes out of your pocket for business purposes. The kydex is ultra thin and fits to the thigh (curved). It works very well.

Note: Search Related Links above for holsters...find Fist!

Stay armed...know where you weapon is...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Playing the role of Captain Obvious here, you need to get a better holster asap. The Uncle Mikes stuff just doesn't cut it as you found out... almost the hard way.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll agree with SIXTO here. Get a better holster before that happens again and something bad becomes of it.

Glad everything worked out for the best.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks for relating your story. I occasionally carry the same gun in the same holster so it looks like we both need to find something better. I've got a used K&D pocket defender that I bought here on the Forum. Haven't really gotten around to working with it yet, maybe it's time to do that.

Glad all you had was a scare and not an injury to contend with. Be well and thanks again for the warning.
    Jack

I had it happen in my car, with a open IWB holster. So, it's not just pocket holsters. I got out of the car, tapped my hand there to make sure it was secure, and NO GUN. Quickly unlocked the car and there it was sitting on the seat.

Ok, I have no issues with a thumb break, and after this.... all my holsters have snap thumb breaks... although several have told me how dumb they are.... thanks, but I want to make sure the gun stays in the holster on occassions such as this and there are no future surprises for me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links