Trick or Treat - It Happened!

This is a discussion on Trick or Treat - It Happened! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I forget who brought up this trick or treat nightmare scenario - of thugs posing as trick or treaters. Well it apparently happened this year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I forget who brought up this trick or treat nightmare scenario - of thugs posing as trick or treaters.

Well it apparently happened this year - in Cincinnati.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/...erly_shot.html

I just heard on the radio the other day some (expert) woman stating that it's a fact that having a gun in the home is the worst thing to do for self protection. She must be speaking on the criminals' behalf?

Man, 84, Shot In Halloween Home Invasion Robbery

Reported by: Shannon Kettler
    Web produced by: Neil Relyea
    Photographed by: 9News
    First posted: 11/1/2005 12:47:56 AM
    Last updated: 11/1/2005 3:00:18 PM

An elderly East Price Hill man remained in critical condition Tuesday afternoon after police say he was shot by men posing as trick or treaters who entered his home Halloween night.
    Charles Iles, 84, was shot twice in the chest, once each by two suspects, as he sat in a chair and tried to call police, 9News learned.
    Read the police report (.PDF file)
    The shooting happened just before 9 p.m. Monday night at the home at 826 Terry Avenue.
    Police say the four suspects posed as trick-or-treaters and forced their way into the home shared by Charles and his wife of 59 years, Ada.
    "The homeowner said, 'Halloween is over'," said Sergeant Joe Richardson, of the Cincinnati police. "At that point, pushed her and the door back in. Both are elderly. Husband reached for the telephone and one of them shot him twice in the chest and all four ran away."
    Police say the four suspects got away with nothing.
    One of the suspects left behind a key piece of evidence in the middle of the street -- a black pull-over hood used for skiing.
    "There was a logo on the bottom of the hood, almost on the neck band that showed the cardinal points on a compass," said Sgt. Richardson, "the north, south, east, west. It almost had a 'V' or a check on top of the logo. That's all we have to identify the mask."
    Neighbors say the 84-year-old victim and his wife are long-time residents in the neighborhood.
    They told 9News that there is outrage that such a vicious crime took place.
    "He does not bother anybody in this neighborhood," said Stephanie, the victim's neighbor. "He says, 'Hi' to me everyday I walk up the street. His wife always waves at me. They are always friendly, they did not deserve this."
    Charles Iles is a retired mail carrier, his son Steve told 9News on Tuesday.
    Charles and his wife, Ada, have been married for 59 years. They have four children, 19 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
    If you have any information about this crime, please call Crimestoppers at 513-352-3040. You don't have to give your name and you may be eligible for a reward if your tips lead to an arrest.
    Last edited by QKShooter; November 17th, 2005 at 08:08 AM.

Lead Moderator
    I kept the .44 at the bottom of the treat bowl, so I was prepared. J/K , really didn't see many kids, but a few who were way too old to be out.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I forget who brought up this trick or treat nightmare scenario - of thugs posing as trick or treaters.
    It's been happening since I was a kid (back in the dark ages) in New York City.......... No surprise.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Animals That Prey On Senior Citizens

Hopefully, they will get caught.
    Usually when there is more than one perp then one of the BGs will eventually brag about it to somebody & they will get nailed.
    The poor guy was 84 years old & died trying to give out candy to kids.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Yeah - I started that thread before Halloween - seeing it as I do (cynic) as maybe just too good an opportunity for trouble. Sad case - and of course I wonder if the old guy and/or his wife had been in yellow and armed - things could have been well different.

That ''expert'' Joe - she should be given at no charge - one of our ''no guns here'' sign options, which she could then proudly display!! Makes me think yet again of my old buddy in UK who insists that my carrying a gun is ''asking for trouble''!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Here was another attempt at halloween security using a scarecrow but you'll see how that worked out. Guess carry is the best protection

http://www.abum.com/show/9482/dont-scare-a-boxer.wmv
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

What infuriates me is this thing happens more than we realize. Just doing a search around the net - it's amazing how often folks are shot, invaded, etc. even after complying with the criminal. Just found an article where a victim was asked for his wallet - he gave the guy his wallet - then the guy shoots him - that happened in Cincinnati too. And then these folks can, with a straight face, say that compliance is your best hope and arming yourself should not be an option.

I have friends who dislike firearms. (Yeah - I'm a tolerant friend.) I send them every story like this I find (they are tolerant too - fortunately). They just shake their head and say 'Hope it doesn't happen to me.' Hope is their only defense?!

People victimize themselves...

Sorry for the rant. Too much coffee this morning I guess.

Yeah, i heard where they caught the guys/kids that did it.
    trying to decide if adult or juvenile prosecution now.

i went out with prepared for the worst but expecting the best.

no ivory tower or rose colored glasses for me thank you.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Personally, it's my belief that i trust very few strangers who come to me door, whether it's Halloween, Christmas, New Years' Etc. I usually have something on me when I answer the door. ya never know who's coming to you door these days
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

gun on or hidden in hand when ever someone comes to the door.
    My wife and I once rented for a brief time in a nieghborhood that was quicly sliding down hill. one night the door bellrang. I chambered a round A voice said through the Dorr'Don't shoot, It's just me, the manager!"
    When she came in, I asked if she had heard the sound of the slide closing, she said no,she always said that when knocking.
    I will tell more about our adventures in living in these apartments, later.
    It was not boring.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

They did get caught. It was a 16 year old, a 17 year old and an 18 year old. They got cauhgt because one of them was bragging on the bus on the way to school.
    What a world.

I am armed 24/7 as the saying goes. Anyone comes to the door at night that I have not arranged in advance is under suspicion as far as I am concerned. My hand is on the gun as I look out the window to determine who is there, and why.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

mik
    Halloween ... strangers ring your doorbell after dark and you open the door. What a great idea! (He said sarcastically) I had candy for them ... offered in my weak hand. :)

I've always wanted to dress up as a SWAT team member for holloween, with a suppressed AR15...

VIP Member
    Ever since I got my CCw, I am armed 24/7 where legal - especially in my home; it serves two purposes, keeps me ready and keeps the gun safely out of my kids' hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links