Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

This is a discussion on Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe I'll get a dozen to keep next to my stack of "I Yam Stooopid" signs....

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Maybe I'll get a dozen to keep next to my stack of "I Yam Stooopid" signs.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
    I have a holster with a badge on it .its small and it does help to keep people clam if by chance my shirt rides up and they see a gun.I know it has been seen a coulpe of times, I can not imange waring it so everyone can see it. that would be bad form..
    rachael
    So you want people to have the impression you are a LEO?? You know what that is called, right?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    SIGguy229, While wearing a CCW badge may be in poor taste it does not constitute impersonation of a police officer. An overt act, or statement that you are a police officer, is required to meet the standards for an impersonation charge. I saw a lot of fake badges and CCW badges as a LEO but only charged one man. He stated he was an officer in a local department. I questioned him and he gave me his duty assignment, rank and showed me his badge. I knew better since I worked for that department. His was a generic badge bearing no resemblance to the copyrighted badge we carried.
    GH and skew12 like this.

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    SIGguy229, While wearing a CCW badge may be in poor taste it does not constitute impersonation of a police officer. An overt act, or statement that you are a police officer, is required to meet the standards for an impersonation charge. I saw a lot of fake badges and CCW badges as a LEO but only charged one man. He stated he was an officer in a local department. I questioned him and he gave me his duty assignment, rank and showed me his badge. I knew better since I worked for that department. His was a generic badge bearing no resemblance to the copyrighted badge we carried.
    I would have loved to have seen that bust, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I have found that with the badge on the holster it has stoped the LEO meeting me in the parking lot to check me out. and again I would never ware that holster with badge on it out so everyone can see it. that is just asking for problems.

I have found that with the badge on the holster it has stoped the LEO meeting me in the parking lot to check me out. and again I would never ware that holster with badge on it out so everyone can see it. that is just asking for problems.
    Then how do the LEO's see it? You flashing your holster at them? Or just so careless you expose your firearm all the time?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

a CCW shield seems to insinuate that somehow, folks who carry a concealed weapon are some sort of pseudo-cop......when they are not.

shields are meant to show some sort of authority. CCW holders have no more authority than the other 330 million Americans.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

wow you guys are a bunch of ********. I am a girl I dont ware a lot of big bagie clothes . and there are times when my 380 shows I do my best to keep it covered
    but all you can say is I am a wannabi,screw you I was in LE years back and I quit to make more money. I also have a brother that is a LEO. so I say the frist one to through a stone had better open your damm window. I carry to save my life or someone elses. and most of the time it is best to leave were it is and run. so stop being bullies and lighten up for chirstsake. a CCW badge is not for showing off it is only to make john Q not freak out when they see a gun on someone.if I saw someone wareing a badge in plan sight I would say something because that WOULD be a wanabe.. Rachael

wow you guys are a bunch of ********. I am a girl I dont ware a lot of big bagie clothes . and there are times when my 380 shows I do my best to keep it covered
    but all you can say is I am a wannabi,screw you I was in LE years back and I quit to make more money. I also have a brother that is a LEO. so I say the frist one to through a stone had better open your damm window. I carry to save my life or someone elses. and most of the time it is best to leave were it is and run. so stop being bullies and lighten up for chirstsake. a CCW badge is not for showing off it is only to make john Q not freak out when they see a gun on someone. if I saw someone wareing a badge in plan sight I would say something because that WOULD be a wanabe.. Rachael
    uh...what? There's no bullying here. We just disagree...and that's ok.

Looking at the bolded part...purporting the fallacy that only LEOs can carry a gun...

Secondly, if a badge isn't for showing off...why carry it? How does your next sentence (underline) not invalidate the previous sentence? You carry a badge to keep John Q from freaking out, but if you see a badge carried by someone else, they are a wannabe? what's to prevent someone from calling the police on you?...and then what do you tell them about the badge?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    but all you can say is I am a wannabi,screw you I was in LE years back and I quit to make more money. I also have a brother that is a LEO. so I say the frist one to through a stone had better open your damm window. I carry to save my life or someone elses. and most of the time it is best to leave were it is and run. so stop being bullies and lighten up for chirstsake. a CCW badge is not for showing off it is only to make john Q not freak out when they see a gun on someone.if I saw someone wareing a badge in plan sight I would say something because that WOULD be a wanabe.. Rachael
    If you spend some time here you'll see that pretty much everyone is treated equally, men and women. Some searching on this forum for CHL badges will yield a preponderance of posts, most of which will say the same thing. Not a good idea to have a badge on your person if you don't have the authority to represent law enforcement.

A lot of people have entered forums thinking that they're being singled out. Most of the time, that's not the case. Read, follow, and take in a forum before jumping to conclusions about subjects that have been discussed extensively before.

CCW badges

People seem to be missing the point here, big time. What is unclear about CCW? Carry Concealed Weapon.

Wearing a badge, or your permit, or any other means of identifying yourself as someone authorized to carry a concealed weapon, IS an implied threat to the people around you.....the proverbial "Don't mess with me, because I have a weapon!"
    ......which completely kills the concept and reality of "Concealed." If you cannot fully conceal your weapon, ALL THE TIME, the you have no business carrying it, if you live in a concealed carry only area or state.

As for some LEO's respecting some individual, who is openly wearing a badge, or similar authoritative symbol, which advertises that he or she is carrying a weapon, with no professional/legal affiliation, please tell us what State and jurisdiction that is, because I for one want no part of dealing with that type of law enforcement "Wild West" mentality, and will avoid the area accordingly. I can tell you, as a sworn NY State Peace Officer and resident, that manner of behavior, be it from the wearer, or the LEO shirking his or her responsibilities, that would not be condoned, let alone tolerated for long.

My wife has an athletic build, 5'4" carries a P228 and DOES NOT need a badge in case she ever exposes her EDC (which she concelas very nicely I might add
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I showed my son the pic of the shield today. His first reaction was, " Hey mom, anyone who sees the shield will think you are a cop." Right there is what many here are saying. You do not have to say you are a cop to impersonate one. I really don't see the point of the shield. Concealed means concealed how would anyone see the gun or the shield?
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    ...if I saw someone wareing a badge in plan sight I would say something because that WOULD be a wanabe.. Rachael
    Look up Gecko45 some time.

Most of those getting badges are wannabes, blowhards, and mall ninjas. Sit back and read, and go through old posts. Also lurk at the various survival sites and forums; you will see exactly what we are talking about.

One of the other posters here has a great line I should have copied. He said his father told him something like "If you don't want to be taken for a duck, don't waddle quack or swim like one."

A CCW badge is that... it's a badge. Not to be confused with a shield. Police Officers carry shields. Anything else is a badge... kind of.

Thank you.

Links