Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall - Page 14

Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

This is a discussion on Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Secret Spuk A CCW badge is that... it's a badge. Not to be confused with a shield. Police Officers carry shields. Anything ...

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    A CCW badge is that... it's a badge. Not to be confused with a shield. Police Officers carry shields. Anything else is a badge... kind of.

Thank you.
    that's the point, it looks JUST like a shield. Its made to look like a LEO shield.

that's why its stupid. Its feigning authority and power when/where no such authority or power exists.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, but a LEO or any govt. employee with some position of authority or power should have a shield.

I have a shield, and I know what it means and what it does not. And I know all too well how a shield can be abused.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoddicka View Post
    People seem to be missing the point here, big time. What is unclear about CCW? Carry Concealed Weapon.

Wearing a badge, or your permit, or any other means of identifying yourself as someone authorized to carry a concealed weapon, IS an implied threat to the people around you.....the proverbial "Don't mess with me, because I have a weapon!"....
    that's what its all about. Guys/girls with guns wanting to advertise that they are some sort of bad-ass.

its dangerous..and should be illegal.

nobody but LEOs and authorized govt. employees should have any shield.

when I was also a NYS Peace Officer I took my shield seriously and NEVER wore it when I was not at work.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

My friend which is retired federal LEO, told me when I ask him about the BADGE, he said he kind of likes it, kind of, the only advantage he sees is it would give you a few xtra seconds to lay your weapon down when LEOS arrive, and help prevent an accidental shooting. Me I don't have one and never will

Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
    I have found that with the badge on the holster it has stoped the LEO meeting me in the parking lot to check me out. .
    How do you know?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

There's a gentleman that works in my department who I've become friends with and look up to as a father figure because he always has good advice and we have similar hobbies such as motorcycle riding (he has a 90's gold wing), the outdoors, and firearms, working on lawn equipment and other things. Several years ago before I got my CCW, I was asking him about it and he told me about how some laws have changed throughout the 30 or so years he's had his.

But the wild thing he told me was that in FL, the state used to also send out a CCW badge that actually had the "seal of the state of Florida" on it, and looked like a real police officer's badge, except it said "concealed weapons license" or something similar. Then he said they changed the law a while back that prohibits anyone but LEO's wearing badges that have the seal of the state of Florida on it.

He still has his, amd wisely keeps it at home as an old keepsake. He showed it to me once and I was intrigued at the time, because at the time i had no idea that the state actually sent these badges out (even with a leather wallet) to CCW holders, was curious about the law, didnt know if it was still customary for CCW holders to still wear badges, where they came from, or why people even wore them in the first place.

It was pretty neat to see one of those old things. But it's not a good idea to advertise what you are trying to conceal. And you don't want to give law enforcement any reason to think you aren't following the laws, or don't have respect for the laws. I've seen the opinions LEO's have about these things and they pretty much think very poorly upon CCW badge holders, especially during traffic stops or in public gatherings. From their perspective, it just exposes those people to greater scrutiny, whether or not a crime has been committed, and in the awful situation that this person is in a legitimate situation where he needs to defend himself, he will have much less credibility because he will be blamed for being overzealous, impersonating an officer, or attempting to do so, etc. LEO's either make fun of them, or get very very angry with them.

Everyone in here has their own opinion. One of the things I'm not going to do on this board is tell people what they should or should not do. Similarly, I'm going to keep my personal opinion to myself because it can all be scrutinized later in the unlikely situation where I do need to defend myself.

Interesting seeing everyone's thoughts though.

To follow up on my last post, I decided to double check the laws about CCW badges in Florida, which is specifically mentioned in the manual. It may or may not be in other states, which is why I see so much discussion about it.

From Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS

"QUESTION 9.**I am a Florida license holder, and I have recently received a solicitation in the mail for an "official badge" identifying me as such a license holder. Are these badges legal? Does the Division endorse these badges?

No, the Division does not endorse these badges, but they are not illegal. There is nothing in Florida law that specifically prohibits companies from offering to sell these badges to Florida license holders, nor is there any provision that prohibits license holders from carrying such badges.

License holders should be aware that the use of official badges is prohibited in Florida Statutes in a couple of places. Section 30.46 specifies that a badge in the shape of a five-pointed star can be used by Florida sheriffs and deputy sheriffs only. Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

Licensees should also take note that these badges do not substitute for identification or confirmation of your status as a holder of a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Only the license issued by the Division will serve as a means of identifying a citizen as a license holder."

Lightbulb

Once again, the concept and premise of a CC badge is pointless. If you are carrying concealed, it is unecessary, as no one should know you have a weapon. I can't speak for all jurisdictions, but in many I am familiar with, the display of a badge and weapon can be interpreted as impersonating a LEO. This visual alone implies "authority" which doesn't exist and can lead to confusion and ultimately trouble that will likely not only cost you your CC permit, but might just land your butt in jail. The decision to make that charge lies with the individual officer. In court, guess who the judge is likely to side with?
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Once again, the concept and premise of a CC badge is pointless. If you are carrying concealed, it is unecessary, as no one should know you have a weapon.
    Reminds me of a comedy act in the 80's where the guy says, "Why are light switches marked Off and On? If it's On you can see it's on, and if it's Off it's too dark to read anyway."

I carry a CCW badge, is there something wrong with that?

hehe

GH
    Do you mean to say that my "Licensed to Kill" badge is not a good idea?

LOL
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

He probably didnt qualify for the cc liscence and became a wannabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Army22rpr View Post
    But, I have to admit wearing a badge and not carrying screams keystone cop!
    I can hear it now; "Aw come on Andy, all the real po-lice get to carry their guns! First it was the bullets, and now it's the gun. I'm gonna just have to speak with Aunt Bee about this!!".

Cc meand conceal, hide u want no one to know ur concealing a weapon, why advertise it in means of other form(badge)if u advertise the bg sees it ur the first one he will take out, you let him know now ur a threat. Just sayin.... Eddie

Lol just noticed this forum was posted four years ago my bad disregard...

Links