Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

This is a discussion on Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LOL it is a thread that never dies it is brought up from time to time. A CCW badge is that... it's a badge. Not ...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

VIP Member
    LOL it is a thread that never dies it is brought up from time to time.

A CCW badge is that... it's a badge. Not to be confused with a shield. Police Officers carry shields. Anything else is a badge... kind of.
    SS. A lot of what it is called depends on the area of the country you live in. In northern states "Shield" is a common name, in the south it is simply a "Badge". Just like many northern jurisdictions call a patrol car/police car a cruiser. A rose by any other name.....

My experience with the CC badge issue was not people wearing them on their belt but having an LE type badge case with the badge and permit to show on a traffic stop to get out of a ticket. It looked very official but to me the attitude of the person was more important than someone having a badge/shield/tin.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Mike, I applaud your restraint in not slapping some sense into that moron.
    I was driving back my lane and noticed a truck parked in front of my barn. I have right to carry and drew out my gun. I saw two guy's standing by the door of my barn and both of them looked up and saw me coming. They never moved. One had a tire iron in his hand and was apperantly going to use it to pry open my side barn door. I stopped and got out of my truck and approched them. Both were grinning at me and they were talking to each other. My gun was down at my side and they did not see it. I asked what they were doing and they didn't answer. I stayed a good twenty feet from them and never pointed my gun. It was apparent to me that they were here to rob my barn and were caught before they even got in the door. I asked them again what they were doing here. With no answer I dialed 911 on my cell phone. They both started to walk toward me at which time I flashed my CCW badge at them. When they saw the badge (not the gun) all I saw was a blur as they headed back to their truck. They flew pass me in the drive and threw gravel on me. I never had to point my gun at them. My CCW badge set off an alram in their minds that maybe they had bit off more than they could handle and were dealing with an off duty cop. When the sheriff arrived (20 minutes later) I told him what happened. He asked if I got the license etc and if I shot at them I told him no that all I did was show them my CCW badge. He had never seen one before and told me to be careful in the future showing this badge. I told him if I showed them my gun and maybe had to use it I would be under investigation. That was the reason he asked my "did you shoot at them" so he could nail me. This CCW badge in this case scared them off and I had no need to point or shoot my gun at them.

VIP Member
    OMG!!! Lazarus has risen from the dead!!! The thread is only 5 years old.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I've seen one person wearing one.I had never seen one up close.I have seen them for sale in mags,but,i honestly never thought someone would actually wear one.
    The guy wearing it,had it on his belt,and i couldn't see what it had on it.We spoke and i ask him was he with city or county,just making conversation.He told me neither,it was a ccp badge.I spit water all over me laughing.I couldn't help myself.I think he got mad.
    People wearing those are wannabee's,attention seeker's,or,someone with a big ego,i guess,smh.
    Hey,whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    I was driving back my lane and noticed a truck parked in front of my barn. I have right to carry and drew out my gun. I saw two guy's standing by the door of my barn and both of them looked up and saw me coming. They never moved. One had a tire iron in his hand and was apperantly going to use it to pry open my side barn door. I stopped and got out of my truck and approched them. Both were grinning at me and they were talking to each other. My gun was down at my side and they did not see it. I asked what they were doing and they didn't answer. I stayed a good twenty feet from them and never pointed my gun. It was apparent to me that they were here to rob my barn and were caught before they even got in the door. I asked them again what they were doing here. With no answer I dialed 911 on my cell phone. They both started to walk toward me at which time I flashed my CCW badge at them. When they saw the badge (not the gun) all I saw was a blur as they headed back to their truck. They flew pass me in the drive and threw gravel on me. I never had to point my gun at them. My CCW badge set off an alram in their minds that maybe they had bit off more than they could handle and were dealing with an off duty cop. When the sheriff arrived (20 minutes later) I told him what happened. He asked if I got the license etc and if I shot at them I told him no that all I did was show them my CCW badge. He had never seen one before and told me to be careful in the future showing this badge. I told him if I showed them my gun and maybe had to use it I would be under investigation. That was the reason he asked my "did you shoot at them" so he could nail me. This CCW badge in this case scared them off and I had no need to point or shoot my gun at them.
    I wouldn't count on a CCW badge to scare bad guys away. That's not a good plan. You may have gotten lucky, but most bad guys aren't going to care about a badge.

Please, PLEASE, let's not get into this again...
    thephanatik likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Ex Member Array HillbilliesRule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    When I was about to take my CCP training I had a conversation with an LEO who is an acquaintance of mine. I had just seen one of my favorite movies, "LA Confidential" and I remarked how the bad cop held up his LEO badge as other LEOs began to arrive. The idea of a badge for a CCP holder had never occurred to me. It was his suggestion a badge might be helpful in the aftermath of a SD shooting to cause even a momentary pause in LEO reaction while trying to sort out the good guys from the bad guys. Obviously the badge would remain concealed unless needed in this situation.

I ordered a badge. The company charged my credit card but never delivered. The credit card company returned my money but I never ordered another one from a different vendor. I am appalled at the virulent attacks on those who even suggest it might be an idea worth discussing.
    It's been discussed. A lot. At some point we have to put away our diapers, hike up our big boy pants and realize that a stupid idea is a stupid idea...even if it was OUR idea.

edited to say:
    OMFG I was duped by the necro!

That has got to be one of the lamest things,i've ever heard of,a ccw badge.

OK.............here is the dumbest question I have ever asked.......don't spank me to hard.

What if Mr.Z was wearing a CCW Sash, do ya still think he would have still got sucker punched.....? and I don't mean for wearing a sash.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Thread's old, ccw badges have been discussed on several different forum threads, will probably be discussed again. Let's put this one back to bed.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Links