Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

This is a discussion on Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It may very well cause LE to not shoot you thinking you are a bad guy. I don't own one, and don't intend to, but ...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

VIP Member
    It may very well cause LE to not shoot you thinking you are a bad guy. I don't own one, and don't intend to, but as a result of those conversations I am less critical of someone who does if they use it properly and keep it hidden.
    If you live in a jurisdiction where cops shoot a civilian on sight just because it has a gun in his hand.... MOVE!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

He probably didn't even own a gun or have a permit. Just wanted to look like a bad dude for the teenage girls that swarm the mall. Haha. What an idiot!

Wht
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 14th, 2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Edited a language workaround.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've never seen one of these goofballs, but from this day forth, should I ever encounter one, he'll be greeted with a rousing proclamation of "Mall Ninja Alert!!!"

So say we all.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Just plain idiotic, IMHO. Why in the world would you advertise that you are hiding something?
    Thats exactly what ive been trying to figure out
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The guy I took my CCW class from had one and used to wear it. He showed it to me and said I should get one. He said if he was in a store and reached to the top shelf and some one saw his firearm they would also see his badge and not call the cops as they would think he was a cop. He worked security ( not knocking security guys) and thought he was a cop. The other security guards used to goof on him as they done their job and had a good time. I did not get one.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Just plain idiotic, IMHO. Why in the world would you advertise that you are hiding something?
    That's like a drug mule wearing a sign that says, "I've got narcotics up me bum".

-JT

P.S. - I've no idea why my hypothetical drug mule is British...

Seems like there are 2 discussion points.

1. Owning a CCW badge, and OPENLY displaying it
    2. Owning a CCW badge period

I agree that owning a CCW badge and openly displaying it on a belt is idiotic. Might as well be open carrying at that point.

However, I have read articles that discussed the merits of owning a badge

(for example, this one I read today that was posted on another forum I visit)
    BORELLI CONSULTING: Recommended Reading

The article was from a police office that suggested showing a badge while in a crime scene when the police pull up just may help you by showing who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. Does it work? Not sure, but I have heard this reason stated before. If you do own a badge (which I do not intend on getting), I would think you would keep it concealed and out of sight. I think you would have a very hard time if you were flashing a badge and someone deteremined that you were carrying a gun to be accused of impersonating a police officer.

Of course, I presume that having your license in hand, displayed to the officers when they pull up would serve just as good as a badge.
    Tutapper likes this.

Lighten up guys, you know that you all have one!!!!

This got my attention and as he started to pass by us, I looked very close at it and was stunned to read "Concealed Permit Holder" on the badge. Then I looked and saw his openly carried EMPTY holster on his right hip just behind the "I'm an idiot wanna-be badge".
    LOL, you didn't see his gun did you! You were so distracted by the empty holster that you probably never bothered to look for the actual gun being carried concealed!

I am shocked and amazed by the lack of support y'all have shown for your fellow gun person who obviously is engaging in an open holster protest, the badge being there to explain the holster.

Or, he might just be a moron.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I think that the people who CCW because they want to be cops should become cops. The rest of us should remember that CCW means "concealed".

Lighten up guys, you know that you all have one!!!!
    Yeah---when hell freezes over. It's not only stupid, but totally unthinkable. Most times I despise living among idgets. It's just the knowledge they are breathing the same air that I am that sets me off.

To think i almost bought one back when i first started carrying..though it'd be pointless to own one now(considering that i OC)..

i did know this guy(back when i did unarmed security) that went out and bought himself a security guard badge (with leather holder) to keep on him when not on-duty..(now he was a cop-wanna be)
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by djp9747 View Post
    The article was from a police office that suggested showing a badge while in a crime scene when the police pull up just may help you by showing who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. Does it work? Not sure, but I have heard this reason stated before. If you do own a badge (which I do not intend on getting), I would think you would keep it concealed and out of sight. I think you would have a very hard time if you were flashing a badge and someone deteremined that you were carrying a gun to be accused of impersonating a police officer.
    Considering that these things are available for commercial sale, and LEOs know this--why does owning one automatically make you a GG? Can't BGs buy these too and pretend to be a GG?

In the event you are involved in a shooting...expect to get hooked up until your ID is verified and LEOs sort out who's who. A badge will most likely earn you disdain from LE (as mentioned above, screams "wannabe").

While you may be justified in a shooting, by having a badge, it could take you out of the "benefit of doubt" group by a hard-ass ADA/State's Atty. Whereas if you are Joe Snuffy with a wife and two kids and dog protecting them from a dirtbag, you can probably have an easier time than having a "pretend" badge.

Forum LEOs--I know this topic has been beat to death, but is my perception accurate?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

i did know this guy(back when i did unarmed security) that went out and bought himself a security guard badge (with leather holder) to keep on him when not on-duty..(now he was a cop-wanna be)
    I drew on a guy like that once.........still in uniform and everything---came to my truck window in a road rage incident. The local PD told me I could file a report within up to a year since it happened. I didn't---felt the view of the open G17 did enough. The guy still said he would mail me a ticket as he walked away. Thank the Good Lord I didn't punch his ticket then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Considering that these things are available for commercial sale, and LEOs know this--why does owning one automatically make you a GG? Can't BGs buy these too and pretend to be a GG?
    You are correct sir... as a matter of fact the "fake badge" is often used as a ruse used by bad guys to gain compliance of their victims. Often used by sexual predators to gain the trust of unsuspecting victims in order to provide an opportunity where they can be over powered or lured to a vehicle or isolated place.

Usually happens at one time or another in any given community. LEO's jump on those cases pretty hard and heavy as you can imagine the damage to the public trust and general fear throughout a community it causes.

We had a similar incident a few years back in our county where fake badge and guy with "emergency lights" in his piece of crap car was trying to "pull women over" on the highway. Thank goodness it looked sooo phony that he never actually got a woman to stop and pull over to my knowledge.

I think the age of cell phones helped, and I also think after a couple of failed attempts he got too scared to continue, but to my knowledge, our local LEO's never caught the guy. But not for lack of trying... they were all over that case. It just quit happening after about 4 or 5 reported incidents. Maybe he moved on... maybe he's taking a dirt nap in a shallow grave somewhere.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links