Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall - Page 4

Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

This is a discussion on Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HowardCohodas Although I have argued that badges have a legitimate, but very limited use, this does not come even close. Makes one ...

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Although I have argued that badges have a legitimate, but very limited use, this does not come even close. Makes one wonder if he even qualified for a CC permit.
    I read that a CCW instructor was teaching that the CCW permit holder badge can help keep people from calling the police if the firearm is accidently exposed. I don't like that reasoning. It's imperative for us, as permit holders, to conceal our firearms as best we can.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

May be we whould encourage morons like that to wear the badge and the empty holster. If a bad guy wants to start something he will start with the obvious threat leaving us more concealed gun holders free to settle his hash. Kinda like the shoot me first vest and the black tacti-cool pants
    Where all men think alike few men think at all

UGH!

That's the kind of thing I would of thought was cool back when I was 12. Thankfully I outgrew that stage. Not everyone can be everything they want to be.

Reminds me of a couple times I have been in on leave back home and heard guys talkin in bars about runnin black ops for the Marines shooting guys as they parachute down. They usually shut up pretty quick.

Good eye though Mike, most people would have been to dense to notice. Just make sure if anything starts that you are as far away from that guy as possible, I'm sure his SAPI plates duct taped together would have stopped the .338 rounds.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You "flash" a badge when the cops show up and you just might be going for a ride for impersonating a police officer.The general public see a gun in a holster and most of them assume your a cop anyway
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Two quick points

1) Flashing a badge is not impersonating an officer.

2) Flashing a badge on a scene or anywhere else is not going to "help" you in anyway. It simply doesn't matter, everyone gets treated the same at a shooting scene, Cracker Jack badge or not.

and with that, I'm out. Enjoy discussing among yourselves.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that we've beat this poor old before.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hl-badges.html (It's a sticky at the top of this forum).

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Some dead horses just need more beating.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hl-badges.html (It's a sticky at the top of this forum).
    I considered it before I started the thread Captain, but, I thought this was different enough because I actually saw this buffoon walking around the mall.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It coulda been GECKO 45 undercover
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

I think this thread has been more fair and balanced .
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Administrator

Howard.
    Concerning your (above) comment.

This one:
    On the other hand, the moderator on this forum has sometimes deleted comments I have made for no reason I can discern. Go figure.

We don't take accusations lightly here on DC especially when they are posted publicly rather than in Private Mail to a forum moderator.

I just reviewed all of your posts since your join date.

Yes, all of them...and you have had one (count em 1 AKA ONE) post deleted as being "Off Topic" to the thread of Carry On The First Date...when you posted:

Wouldn't carrying a full size 1911 in a SmartCarry be false advertising?

That's probably not an exact quote but, it's close.

That is the only post delete that is showing for you since you've joined here.
    BTW: I only answered and responded to your complaint publicly because you elected to post it publicly.

Also...the content of your one deleted "Off Topic" post was hardly of any major Earth shattering importance to that thread or to the forum in general.
    I'm certain that you'll agree.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    When I was about to take my CCP training I had a conversation with an LEO who is an acquaintance of mine. I had just seen one of my favorite movies, "LA Confidential" and I remarked how the bad cop held up his LEO badge as other LEOs began to arrive. The idea of a badge for a CCP holder had never occurred to me. It was his suggestion a badge might be helpful in the aftermath of a SD shooting to cause even a momentary pause in LEO reaction while trying to sort out the good guys from the bad guys. Obviously the badge would remain concealed unless needed in this situation.

I ordered a badge. The company charged my credit card but never delivered. The credit card company returned my money but I never ordered another one from a different vendor. I am appalled at the virulent attacks on those who even suggest it might be an idea worth discussing. I'm not talking about the comments on this thread which I consider pretty mild. On the other hand, the moderator on this forum has sometimes deleted comments I have made for no reason I can discern. Go figure.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

How to carry a badge (No, really)

Points to consider:

1. If you whip out some generic CCW badge at an LEO, he will know right away, because it doesn't look like the badges that he or other jurisdictions use.

2. Don't keep it rattling around with your change. Waving it around like a ninja throwing star is sure to get you laughed at.

3. Most LEOs that have their badges off duty, have them in a nice badge wallet (Police Badge Holder). Flip it open, badge on one side, ID on the other. Yes, real cops have IDs. Badge without ID = probably not a cop.

4. You could just as easily have a badge that says "EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN" or "FEMALE BODY INSPECTOR" or "SECURITY ENFORCEMENT OFFICER" (Galls® Security Enforcement Officer Badge - BC002 : Galls) which would alleviate that whole wanna-be-a-cop stereotype. As long as it isn't in somebody's face, nobody is going to be reading it anyway.

5. Usually on-duty undercover or plainclothes LEOs are the only ones wearing their badges on leather badge holders, either on their belt or a neck chain.

Safariland Undercover Neck Chain Badge Holder

6. If you are small town, no LEO is going to mistake you for a brother officer. Maybe a Fed, but not one of the hometown cops. BTW, Fed badges and ID are pretty standard.

7. Hint: If you have a badge, DO NOT have your home state's seal in the middle. Use another state. Get the goofy scales of justice, or the Fire Dept. bugles, but NOT YOUR HOME STATE! (Impersonating a city/state official...)

8. So do you get a badge style like your local LEO, Fed, or an oddball that nobody in your town wears? Up to you, but I would go with slightly foreign. Blackington (Blackinton Badge Company - Official Police Badges, Fire Badges, Military Badges and Security Badges) is the premiere badge maker, check them out, they have dozens of styles, many similar, several unique.
    I think Galls sells them without any restriction (this changes about yearly).

Galls stock badges: Firefighter Badges - Volunteer Firefighter Badges - Fire Department Badges - Security Officer Badges - EMT Badges : Galls

Galls custom badges: : Galls

So, my recommendation is to have a badge that is similar in appearance, but not exactly like, one in use in your locale. Put it in a badge wallet. Put an ID in the ID window. I don't care if it's your Blockbuster ID, put something in there. Stick it in your pocket. NEVER take it out unless you are being approached by LEOs with guns drawn. Preferably already have it out. If not, take it out VERY SLOWLY while calmly and loudly saying, "I HAVE ID! I HAVE ID!"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig sauer View Post
    Are those badges for real (for CCW holders), or can anyone buy them?
    Anyone can..........a pocket full of quarters at one of those "gumball" machines at the supermarket will get you one
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

We don't need no stinkin' badges...save yer' $$$ and use it to buy extra mags.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links