Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saw an Idiot with a CCW Permit Badge at the mall

65K views 219 replies 146 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
I got dragged to the mall again this weekend. I'm not sure how this keeps happening to me....but, while we were there, sitting in a common area waiting for the 6 year olds to finish their ice cream cones, I saw a man, about 30 years old or so, with a badge on his belt walking our way. As he got closer I saw that the badge was the star in the circle type, like the US Marshals wear. This got my attention and as he started to pass by us, I looked very close at it and was stunned to read "Concealed Permit Holder" on the badge. Then I looked and saw his openly carried EMPTY holster on his right hip just behind the "I'm an idiot wanna-be badge".

I didn't say anything to him though I wanted to. I figured it wouldn't do any good because if he's dumb enough to buy one of those stupid badges, he isn't going to like me telling him he's dumb for wearing it.

This was the first time I have actually seen someone with one of those idiot things and I was kind of shocked.

By the way, I was armed with my Glock 23, on my right hip, 2 spare magazines on my left and a snub nosed .357 revolver in my right front pocket. I was concealed, wearing my Glock in an IWB kydex concealment holster with my untucked T-shirt covering everything. The "Mall Vice-Ninjas" never gave me a second look...

See less See more
#9 ·
"Concealed Permit Holder" on the badge. Then I looked and saw his openly carried EMPTY holster on his right hip just behind the "I'm an idiot wanna-be badge".
:haha:That's priceless. "Concealed Permit Holder", but no gun. Maybe his mommy took it away from him.:nono:

#13 ·
Thought that I would weigh in here as a new carrier. I too thought this would be a good idea...until I found this site. I thought that if I was caught printing that this would alleviate some of the fears that a LEO would have. It may not be his stupidity that was front and center, but maybe he is just uninformed. Maybe approaching the guy and pointing him to this site could have made him a better carrier.

But, I have to admit wearing a badge and not carrying screams keystone cop!

#125 ·
Thought that I would weigh in here as a new carrier. I too thought this would be a good idea...until I found this site. I thought that if I was caught printing that this would alleviate some of the fears that a LEO would have. It may not be his stupidity that was front and center, but maybe he is just uninformed. Maybe approaching the guy and pointing him to this site could have made him a better carrier.

But, I have to admit wearing a badge and not carrying screams keystone cop!
You might be right. Reminds me of Loretta Lynn's quote: "Don't you call me no stupid hillbilly! I may be ignorant but I ain't stupid!"

#22 ·
I could see myself doing the empty holster thing if I were in a place where I was prohibited from carrying as a sort of protest...

I think the badge is going a little overboard, but if I was a college student, I could perhaps understand it.

It would be one way of making the statement that I am licensed and yet prohibited from defending myself.

#25 ·
A CCW badge "SCREAMS" (are you ready for this?)

LOOK AT ME! I COULDN'T POSSIBLY EVER BE A REAL COP... I'M A LOSER WANNA BE!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#27 ·
It was his suggestion a badge might be helpful in the aftermath of a SD shooting to cause even a momentary pause in LEO reaction while trying to sort out the good guys from the bad guys.
Couldn't that be seen as impersonating a LEO... flashing a badge. I know it would depend on the situation, but you don't actually have to say Im a cop, you just have to allow them to think it.

#28 ·
Where the heck was his gun? Please don't tell me it fell out of his holster somewhere and there's a loose gun out there.

I can't figure out why he has his; badge (check) Holster (check) Gun? (uh oh)... maybe he left in on the back of the stool in the men's room.

#73 ·
(uh oh)... maybe he left in on the back of the stool in the men's room.
:duh:

That reminded me of an incident many years ago in Taiwan. I was in a very long narrow mens room. A soldier/Cop (whatever he was) walked in, laid his submachine gun on a table right by the door and walked to the last urinal about 30 feet away.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Thats exactly what ive been trying to figure out :confused: :nono:
Did he have a badge saying; "I'm hiding $500 in my left rear pants pocket."

:haha:

Lighten up guys, you know that you all have one!!!!:rofl::rofl::danceban:
Mine is gold plated. I keep it pinned to my Superman cape just under the "S"

But how did you know?

#30 ·
I don't need a badge... I'm doing my best to have my gun holstered and out of sight or my gun laying on the ground when LEO's show up.

If I am still having to hold the BG at gunpoint when LEO's arrive, I will follow their commands and follow all their instructions to the letter until they feel safe, have the situation in control and the time comes to identify myself and show my permit. They are not going to shoot me outright unless I do something stupid, make a furtive move, or point my gun at them.

If I am involved in a shooting in my county, every LEO knows me on sight and most know me as one of the medics on the tactical team, so probably no issues on home turf... but in all other jurisdictions, the above protocol applies. (our tactical medics are armed members and do have a sheriff's commission, just no powers of arrest so we are not certified LEO's)

#31 ·
It may very well cause LE to not shoot you thinking you are a bad guy. I don't own one, and don't intend to, but as a result of those conversations I am less critical of someone who does if they use it properly and keep it hidden.
If you live in a jurisdiction where cops shoot a civilian on sight just because it has a gun in his hand.... MOVE!

#77 ·
A few years ago

A few years ago a couple were involved in an attempted armed carjacking. The owner of the car fought with the BG for his gun while his girlfriend called 911.
She described in detail her boyfriend. An officer arrives and the girlfriend is shouting don’t shoot the guy in the red jacket or something to this effect to describe her boyfriend, the good guy. The cop pulled a 12 ga. and shot both of them killing the good guy. I don’t care where you live, stupid people sometimes wear police badges.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
He probably didn't even own a gun or have a permit. Just wanted to look like a bad dude for the teenage girls that swarm the mall. Haha. What an idiot!

Wht :hand10:

#35 ·
The guy I took my CCW class from had one and used to wear it. He showed it to me and said I should get one. He said if he was in a store and reached to the top shelf and some one saw his firearm they would also see his badge and not call the cops as they would think he was a cop. He worked security ( not knocking security guys) and thought he was a cop. The other security guards used to goof on him as they done their job and had a good time. I did not get one.

#37 ·
Seems like there are 2 discussion points.

1. Owning a CCW badge, and OPENLY displaying it
2. Owning a CCW badge period

I agree that owning a CCW badge and openly displaying it on a belt is idiotic. Might as well be open carrying at that point.

However, I have read articles that discussed the merits of owning a badge

(for example, this one I read today that was posted on another forum I visit)
BORELLI CONSULTING: Recommended Reading

The article was from a police office that suggested showing a badge while in a crime scene when the police pull up just may help you by showing who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. Does it work? Not sure, but I have heard this reason stated before. If you do own a badge (which I do not intend on getting), I would think you would keep it concealed and out of sight. I think you would have a very hard time if you were flashing a badge and someone deteremined that you were carrying a gun to be accused of impersonating a police officer.

Of course, I presume that having your license in hand, displayed to the officers when they pull up would serve just as good as a badge.

#43 ·
The article was from a police office that suggested showing a badge while in a crime scene when the police pull up just may help you by showing who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. Does it work? Not sure, but I have heard this reason stated before. If you do own a badge (which I do not intend on getting), I would think you would keep it concealed and out of sight. I think you would have a very hard time if you were flashing a badge and someone deteremined that you were carrying a gun to be accused of impersonating a police officer.
Considering that these things are available for commercial sale, and LEOs know this--why does owning one automatically make you a GG? Can't BGs buy these too and pretend to be a GG?

In the event you are involved in a shooting...expect to get hooked up until your ID is verified and LEOs sort out who's who. A badge will most likely earn you disdain from LE (as mentioned above, screams "wannabe").

While you may be justified in a shooting, by having a badge, it could take you out of the "benefit of doubt" group by a hard-ass ADA/State's Atty. Whereas if you are Joe Snuffy with a wife and two kids and dog protecting them from a dirtbag, you can probably have an easier time than having a "pretend" badge.

Forum LEOs--I know this topic has been beat to death, but is my perception accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.