Florida/Alabama laws

Florida/Alabama laws

This is a discussion on Florida/Alabama laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'll be flying out to Florida/Alabama for a bit visiting family in a few weeks. I have an AZ CCW and am looking to ...

Thread: Florida/Alabama laws

Florida/Alabama laws

So I'll be flying out to Florida/Alabama for a bit visiting family in a few weeks. I have an AZ CCW and am looking to see what special restrictions there are. From what I understand, printing is considered brandishing? That's all I know specifically.

I know I should probably look this up myself, but why would I do that when I have hundreds of people like y'all available?

Actually, I probably will scan the statutes, but if y'all would like to give me the highlights, I'd love that too
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    <snip>
    From what I understand, printing is considered brandishing?<snip>
    Not to my knowledge. Maybe in Alabama, but not here.

Brian

/\+1

Alright, so I actually did my homework -- well, some of it. Need some more guidance/help on a couple points.

So according to Florida statute 790.06 (12), I cannot carry on "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose" What does this even mean? I assume it means I can't carry on a portion of the establishment primarily devoted to such purpose. Does this mean I can't carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol, or just the bar area? What does "primarily" mean? Grrr...

I got lost in Alabama's laws. They have a pathetic setup on their website. Not helpful at all.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Okay, found this thread which has helped re Alabama, so never mind. Sorry for the laziness, heh.

In Florida, you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but not the bar area of a restaurant that has a separate bar.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryV View Post
    In Florida, you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but not the bar area of a restaurant that has a separate bar.
    While armed...
    You can't have a burger in the bar portion, even if you're not having a beer, but you can have a beer with your meal in the restaurant portion of that same establishment.
    Try and figure out how the lawmakers came up with that law.

Stay armed...watch where you sit...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    No where that I am aware of considers "printing" the same as "brandishing". Certainly not in Florida. Keep concealed, but if you print a little, you wont be cited. You might get noticed and kicked out of a restaurant or other business though.

Anywhere in Florida that serves food as its primary business is allowed for concealed carry. Only the alcohol serving areas such as the bar itself is off limits. Places that serve alcohol and alcohol is their PRIMARY business, is off limits to firearms. This would be any bar, pub, club etc.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I "heard" that in some places printing is brandishing if its deemed that you aren't making a reasonable effort to conceal (Texas?). Now that might not sound outrageous, but that language seems potentially ambiguous if you get an eager-beaver LEO/DA/etc. Perhaps I'm over-paranoid, but I'd rather not take the chance...

Hmm..might be true but in Florida Law it basically describes brandishing as holding/displaying a firearm in a threatening or careless manner. Printing isnt displaying as the gun is still covered. If it isnt visible, it would be a guess at best for someone to think you had a firearm.

If printing turns in to the weapon becoming unconcealed, then you could likely have a problem if seen by the wrong person.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Excellent, thanks!

Some info that you should find helpful:

Florida Statutes
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2007->Chapter 790 : flsenate.gov

I asked the question on a different (but of the same nature) website earlier this week about "printing" in Florida. I couldn't get a definitive answer. So I asked a local Lynn Haven (Panama City basically) police officer, who came to the job for a domestic violence issue on Tuesday of this week, about printing.

He had never heard of it. I had to explain the concept to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Emahevul View Post
    Some info that you should find helpful:

Florida Statutes
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2007->Chapter 790 : flsenate.gov

I asked the question on a different (but of the same nature) website earlier this week about "printing" in Florida. I couldn't get a definitive answer. So I asked a local Lynn Haven (Panama City basically) police officer, who came to the job for a domestic violence issue on Tuesday of this week, about printing.

He had never heard of it. I had to explain the concept to him.
    And this guy carries an issued firearm???

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    And this guy carries an issued firearm???
    I know. Go figure.

Sponsored Links