Lost dropped my gun in public

This is a discussion on Lost dropped my gun in public within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok flame away I am a complete moron. Today has to have been the worst most stress filled day I have had in a very ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost dropped my gun in public

Lost dropped my gun in public

Ok flame away I am a complete moron. Today has to have been the worst most stress filled day I have had in a very long time. Day starts out as usual out the door at 6 to do the 90 minute commute to drop my wife off at work. Than run some errands. Check out a First Gear motorcycle carry jacket at a bike shop. At 1 go to pick my wife up fro a late lunch. Getting out of the car tug my T-shirt to straighten it and my hand brushes against the holster NO GUN. I freak. Run back to the the places I had been this morning. Now I do not think I dropped or lost the gun but I am not positive. The first place I went back to, the last place I had been at is a grocery store. First thing I see are a couple of 8 to 10 year old boys running the aisles. I about stroked out on the spot. What if one of them picks up the gun !! I about puke. Raced up and down the aisles frantically looking for the gun. Than my first of three conversations with the manager. Each time going to management asking umm did you find anything umm startling. Three times I explain I may have dropped a gun in their place of business. That I may have just forgotten it at home but I am not sure and came back to let them know in case I did in fact lose it. Why they did not freak and rip me a new one is beyond me. Not like I did not have it coming instead they all listened patently as I told my story. All of them thanked me for coming to them and giving them a heads up. They all took my number saying they would call if it turned and wished me luck. I might of just left it at home, that is what my wife thinks as I had one of my sore old age slow to move days and she can not imagine me dropping the XD and not noticing. Finally we get to make the trip home, six long frantic hours I get home to find it laying on the night stand. What a dork half the town now knows I carry for no good reason other than I am an the idiot that does not even know when he does or does not have a gun on him. What if today was the day my BG came for me?
    How does anyone walk out of the house with an empty holster? The only excuse I have is that K&D's Maverick is so comfortable I have gotten accustomed to not feeling the gun on me so that when I did not have it holstered there really is no difference from when I do. Tomorrow I pick up three more K&D Holsters and will see if they wear as well. Hopefully I have learned my lesson to check before I go out to make sure I am fully dressed and not half naked. Ok your turn to tell me what a nim rod I am
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Oh well... it could have been worse... A LOT worse.
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

BTDT, welcome to the wonderful world of packing a gun. If you carry long enough this is bound to happen.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you learned an important lesson. Give yourself a "once over" before heading out the door. Sort of like, "Watch, wallet, testicles, spectacles." In my case it's "Gun, ammo, knife, gun, ammo, knife, flashlight, wallet, gun, creds, spectacles."

Glad you didn't lose your gun and all is well.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    Oh well... it could have been worse... A LOT worse.
    I think that about sums it up best right there.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Become one with the Pilot ZEN. Live by the checklist, do not walk out of the door without the checklist.

When in doubt, do the checklist again.

Did I mention the checklist? :)
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Wow, I would have been freaked out. Glad everything turned out OK.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I always give myself a once over to before I head out, keys,gun,guts,etc.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Personally... I never take the gun out of the holster. When I go to bed the whole holster comes off, gun and all. This prevents me from forgeting it.

I've arrived at work without my gun a couple of times. Now I put it on before wallet, keys & other junk.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

M65
    Glad to hear nothing worse happened.

I'm so forgetful I've had to live by a checklist for the past 13 years (and I'm 25!).

-phone
    -wallet
    -keys
    -gun
    -knife
    -flashlight

I have an actual list taped on the inside of my front door which I always go through when going out (and physically touch the pocket where said item is).

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    six long frantic hours I get home to find it laying on the night stand. What a dork half the town now knows I carry for no good reason
    If the town 6 hours away knows you carry, it doesn't sound like it's your town anyways. Don't worry about it. Be sure to call the managers at the store to tell them the situation has been resolved and that you left it at home.

A once over is a great idea :) Mistakes happen, don't kick yourself too hard. You'll laugh about it one day.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

The short term memory is the first to go....

Glad it turned out well, that had to be a miserable experience!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Personally... I never take the gun out of the holster. When I go to bed the whole holster comes off, gun and all. This prevents me from forgeting it.
    +1

This practice is also safer, removing hundreds of reholsterings per year and the chance, however slight, of causing a ND.

Hopefully I have learned my lesson to check before I go out to make sure I am fully dressed and not half naked. Ok your turn to tell me what a nim rod I am
    SMACK YOURSELF!

Seriously, I know you feel like an idjit, but be thankfull that half the town did not find out the HARD way. Had you actually dropped the gun somewhere, things could have been much worse.

I always pat myself down before I walk out of the house.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 15th, 2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Lesson learned without any body bags. A good day, actually.

Sympathies: I haven't done this particular one, but I don't see as how flames are needed (I need all the grace I can get, and want it from others, too). And by your kindness to us (indeed, that's what it was), by posting this you brought an imporant issue to light, which has likely saved one of us from a similar episode which might have not turned out so well. Thanks...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links