CCW In A Commercial Vehicle

This is a discussion on CCW In A Commercial Vehicle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Michigan Resident. I have a CCW but don't normally need to carry. I just wanted to express my Freedoms as an American ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW In A Commercial Vehicle

CCW In A Commercial Vehicle

I am a Michigan Resident. I have a CCW but don't normally need to carry. I just wanted to express my Freedoms as an American and get my permit before the Liberals take all of our gun rights away.

I have a friend who drives a dually pickup commercially delivering camper trailers. He was in the Army and the National Guard too.

He and his wife want to get CCW's but they have not done so yet.

Anyway he is very sure that you can not carry a weapon in any Commercial vehicle no matter what.

I have spent many hours online trying to research this and can not find any definitive answers.

I contacted this web sire and I got an e-mail reply telling me that all of the answers are in these posts. Gosh I don't have 5 days to read them all. I did look on the DOT web site too.

I have a Map of CCW states so I basically know what states I could legally carry in a passenger car.

I noticed there is no CCW in WI but possibly open carry is allowed. I am curious about WI too.

I would assume that it is legal to carry in a Big Rig especially if you are an owner operator. Truckers can carry very valuable loads that could put them at a much higher risk of being robbed. Also many truckers carry a lot of cash just to pay for fuel ect.

If anyone can quote some definitive D.O.T. laws or State laws on the Midwest or any Federal Laws, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Skibum4106

2. Remove Ads

As long as he's in MI he'll be fine. Can't speak for elsewhere, but I'm pretty sure that you can't find any laws online because there aren't any prohibiting it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skibum4106 View Post
    I am a Michigan Resident. I have a CCW but don't normally need to carry.
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Not aware of any restrictions either. My recollection of WI is that Open Car and Car Carry are two completely different critters so beware with that one.

I don't know the answer to your question. I'm sure someone will chime in to help you. I would think it would be in the policy of the company he drives for. Most here would say concealed means concealed.

And that you have to decide for yourself if your life is more important than your job (weigh getting caught carrying and losing your job vs. the odds(perceived) of ever needing your CCW

For many their job is the means to support their life and their family. Getting fired because of carrying would be devastating. Therefore they decide not to carry. Many others feel it's just a job and they can go find another if they get fired. Each of us have to make this decision.

One thing you did say jumped off the page to me, and I'm sure it will to others as well.
    I have a CCW but don't normally need to carry.
    If you ever do see the need, I hope it isn't the last thing you see. I haven't yet figured out when I'll need it. So I just make sure that I always have it. That way when I need it, I know just where to reach. Something to think about...

Seeings as this is your first post, I hope others don't pile on you(too much) for going to the trouble of getting a permit and then not carrying.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Senior Moderator
    NRA-ILA :: Federal Gun Laws

I don't know about DOT regs but you might find something here
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Anyway he is very sure that you can not carry a weapon in any Commercial vehicle no matter what.
    Not true! I don't have any source for you but it has been discussed in great detail on this forum before!

I'm sure someone will chime in soon with more particulars so stand-by!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I am a Michigan Resident. I have a CCW but don't normally need to carry. I just wanted to express my Freedoms as an American and get my permit before the Liberals take all of our gun rights away.

I have a friend who drives a dually pickup commercially delivering camper trailers. He was in the Army and the National Guard too.

He and his wife want to get CCW's but they have not done so yet.

I have spent many hours online trying to research this and can not find any definitive answers.

I contacted this web sire and I got an e-mail reply telling me that all of the answers are in these posts. Gosh I don't have 5 days to read them all. I did look on the DOT web site too.

I have a Map of CCW states so I basically know what states I could legally carry in a passenger car.

I noticed there is no CCW in WI but possibly open carry is allowed. I am curious about WI too.

I would assume that it is legal to carry in a Big Rig especially if you are an owner operator. Truckers can carry very valuable loads that could put them at a much higher risk of being robbed. Also many truckers carry a lot of cash just to pay for fuel ect.

If anyone can quote some definitive D.O.T. laws or State laws on the Midwest or any Federal Laws, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Skibum4106

It's usually an employer's policy that you can't have a gun in their truck. Not DOT regulation on it. I have a CDL and went to the school. They said it was agianst the law, but I read the book the DOT book because they said I had to study it. Nothing in there about guns.
    there is this though.
    TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
    who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
    transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
    the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.

dang... I thought I was the 1st response! Lots of folks typing at the same time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

OK I joined this site just to try and find a definitive answer. Here is the problem with Blogs. They are just opinions and hear say which is no excuse for not knowing the actual Law!

TREKSOUTH replied with the best answers. First he asked about this and researched this at truck driving school.

I too have a CDL but I have never been to truck driving school. I started driving when I was 17 years old and now I am 47. I am Grandfathered in. How old does that make me how sad is that?

My friend was drunk on the weekend when this came up. I just joined this site today. One of the first things I learned in CCW school was is "you can't carry while you are intoxicated." I think there is a 0 alcohol tolerance while carrying.

OK I don't always carry a gun and I don't always wear my seat belt. I guess I am an irresponsible person.

I live in a very safe and very rural area. I really don't need to carry a pistol unless I go into the city. In my home is a different situation. Then I have a 12 GA shot gun with buck shot handy and don't even bother with a pea shooter.

If some one is breaking in , I think it will be at night in the dark. Close only counts in hand grenades and Horse shoes and shot guns right?

Should I go for a walk in a bad neighborhood at night just to test my rights to carry?

I got the CCW so that I can carry legally if I feel the need. If I did not have the CCW and I was carrying and I got caught I would instantly be a felon.

Maybe I should pay a Lawyer $250.00 per hour to research this for me? Just the same , a Lawyer would take my money then say he is telling me what he knows to the best of his knowledge but Laws change and he can not be held responsible if he was wrong.

Thanks Cupcake for your response too, but normally Commercial truckers are driving in multiple states. I think my buddy has been coast to coast for his Job.

Treksouth said , Normally it is up to the Employer: Yes this is very true. Many Employers have a no gun Policy for Insurance reasons or whatever.

I think many people replied that there is no definitive Law banning concealed weapons from Commercial vehicles.

My friend says that DOT's are constantly giving thorough searches of truck cabs. The reason is that trucks can be a main mode to smuggle drugs I think.

Like I said my friend was in the Army ect and Natonal guard so he should have lots of weapon training.

Treksouth also posted the rules for shipping a gun. I'm not concerend with shipping or transporting an unloaded gun!

I am asking can I legally carry a concealed weapon in my Commercial truck?

Common sense tells me that I can in the same States that would allow me to carry one in my car or on my person with my Michigan CCW.

In case no one has noticed,,, Laws 90% of the time have nothing to do with common sense. But not useing your seat belt is not a felony even if forgetting it fasten it is no excuse.

I guess I really should inquire with the D.O.T. for a definitive answer in writing so I can prove my friend wrong.

OK so a few people gave me a hard time for not carrying. I did survive just over 46 years with no CCW. Just the same if you interpret the 2nd Amendment of the of the USA constitution; Common sense would tell you that you should be able to carry with out a CCW.

Strangely, I have already read many laws about how to legally transport a weapon in your car. I.E. Unloaded disassembled and locked in the trunk ect. Obviously in this state it is no threat to a Law Officer.

As far as training and readiness to carry are concerned maybe we should all be playing paint ball games! I did a lot of shooting when I was a kid and I was much better and faster then with a lot of practice, yet I have retained some of those skills to this day.

Most people are reasonably adequate at driving a car because they drive every day. Then again, most loose their license at a certain age too because they can no longer drive a car safely on public roads.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    You're going to get a TON of this in this thread.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Don't normally carry a cell phone either

I don't normally carry my cell phone either. I just wear a T-shirt and jeans normally. When I did carry me cell phone a couple of times. It kept accidentally dialing when I would bend over to pick something up.
    I have carried in a fanny pack however. How sad is this, I have had to start carrying reading glasses with me?

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question. I'm sure someone will chime in to help you. I would think it would be in the policy of the company he drives for. Most here would say concealed means concealed.

And that you have to decide for yourself if your life is more important than your job (weigh getting caught carrying and losing your job vs. the odds(perceived) of ever needing your CCW

For many their job is the means to support their life and their family. Getting fired because of carrying would be devastating. Therefore they decide not to carry. Many others feel it's just a job and they can go find another if they get fired. Each of us have to make this decision.

One thing you did say jumped off the page to me, and I'm sure it will to others as well.
    If you ever do see the need, I hope it isn't the last thing you see. I haven't yet figured out when I'll need it. So I just make sure that I always have it. That way when I need it, I know just where to reach. Something to think about...

Seeings as this is your first post, I hope others don't pile on you(too much) for going to the trouble of getting a permit and then not carrying.

whohw down buddy. Sorry, didn't know it was a test. What people have been trying to say is that no one knows of a law or regulation preventing it. You don't need laws to give you permission unless it is clarifying some abiguaity in the law.

If you stick around long enough and read the forum, you'll find many examples of people in "safe" rural communities becoming the victims of the "bad guy." How about those two little girls in Oklahoma was it? That's all people are trying to say, no offense intended.

Sometimes Bad guys pick nice laid back rural areas to hit because nothing ever happens around here like in the big citys attitude.I might die in 30 years never having fired my gun except at the gun range and then again the next time I go to the store I might find myself in a life or death situation that I will be glad I'm carrying to save my life.I'm sure a lot of people that have been robbed and or killed had the same mindset that I've never needed a gun before,until you need a gun you don't need one but if you need one you better hope you have one and it's not back home because that's where you only think bad things will happen.My crystal ball broke and I can't predict the future
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

keep it on your person, and not between the seats, that way it doesnt matter if they search it. Your cpl has whats listed where you cant carry, any other rule is just that. a rule, not a law. If his employer says no guns, then his jobs on the line, and nothing more, he isnt breaking any laws by carrying.

As far as WI and open carry, well, its sketchy at best, and similar to MI open carry. There is no law against it, so therefore it is legal. The problem you run into is when someone calls 911 for a man with a gun call, and cops come at you with adrenaline pumping and guns pointing at you. Cops may hassle you a bit, and threaten you with citations for disturbing the peace for making a scene even though you were just at the grocery store buying a gallon of milk. Safest way to open carry is at the get togethers people throw to help spread the knowledge that it is ok, and people dont run around shooting eachother when they have guns.

The other thing to consider with the CDL, even if there is no law or DOT reg would be who's property you are going to be delivering to or picking up from. Especially federal facilities. I was recently at a Goodrich plant and darned near needed a security clearance to get into the place because of the aircraft parts. They ran a background check at the guard tower before letting me in, confiscated cell phones with cameras, no laptop with cameras, and had the no guns for good folks sign at the edge of their parking lot (Ohio of course).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links