Defense...against a charging dog.

This is a discussion on Defense...against a charging dog. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My bride and i went for a walk last night. We had our sissy shi-tzu with us. he is just about useless aside from vet ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defense...against a charging dog.

My bride and i went for a walk last night. We had our sissy shi-tzu with us. he is just about useless aside from vet bills (can you tell i dislike animals?). Anyway, we were turning a bend where we saw a loose dog barking at us. we didn't want out little sissy hurt, so we picked him up. we kept walking and then another dog showed up...it came running from behind a tree towards us growling and barking. it got w/i 2 feet of my left before i swung my foot to shoo it away. Now, i was prepared to shoot the darn thing if it did bite me, my wife or my sissy dog. It was a medium sized dog - 40-60 lb's maybe.

I've been bitten by dogs before and i know the world of hurt they can bring.

Well, my aggressive kick motion worked and the dog ran only to be shooed inside by his owner whom i chewed out.

My question would be (if there is one)... would you shoot if you in this situation?

Nope. I'd have done exactly what you did.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

My question would be (if there is one)... would you shoot if you in this situation?
    Not if kicking it worked...One of the responsibilities you take as an armed citizen is resolving situations without your firearm if possible.

It's just a tool in the box...an old saying comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by old saying
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Not unless you are ready for the lawsuit.

"my doggie never hurt anyone and just wanted to say hello"

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Not if kicking it worked...One of the responsibilities you take as an armed citizen is resolving situations without your firearm if possible.

It's just a tool in the box...an old saying comes to mind.
    Indeed...i am thinking worst case scenario...it bites/mauls...and a kick doesn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    Indeed...i am thinking worst case scenario...it bites/mauls...and a kick doesn't do.
    In that case, of course I would. And if I felt that a kick would not be succesful, I wouldn't try it. It sounds like you resolved the situation using the least amount of force necessary.

If the amount of force needed was higher, then that's the amount you should use.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

i was mauled by a German Shepard a few years ago...i've had a severe fear or large dogs since, so i did pat myself on the back for that one. My closet PETA wife was quite happy, although i did tell her what i would have done if it did bite.

Well, my aggressive kick motion worked and the dog ran only to be shooed inside by his owner whom i chewed out.

Of course not. I've had good success discouraging aggressive dogs with a homemade trekking pole that I carry while walking. It doubles as a cudgel when needed and is usually all I need to fend off loose dogs.

Well for sure in that case. Unfortunately, now you have the bite marks to prove aggression and a lot less likely to end up in any court system.

I've often had a similiar thought about what if another dog was attacking one of my dogs if you could get away with a shot. When two dogs are rolling around, good luck hitting the right one. My problem is that I often walk my dogs off a leash. They are better behaved on voice command than most peoples are while on a leash. But I'm sure if they got in a fight with my dog off a leash, it would somehow get turned around to being my fault.

carry a can of OC spary works better. Not a fan of shooting dogs.

I've wondered about this myself. I'm diabetic and an animal bite to my leg could get infected and lead to an amputation. So, do I shoot once to scare away the animal if a kick doesn't work (not my best option) or do I shoot the dog and claim that due to the chance of amputation, I had to defend myself from being bitten? What a world we live in!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Quote Originally Posted by czman2006 View Post
    I've wondered about this myself. I'm diabetic and an animal bite to my leg could get infected and lead to an amputation. So, do I shoot once to scare away the animal if a kick doesn't work (not my best option) or do I shoot the dog and claim that due to the chance of amputation, I had to defend myself from being bitten? What a world we live in!
    In our society, animals have more rights then we do.

but i know for you, and for many of us - it's a life/death situation, esp. if its a big dog. a loud bang can disorient the dog enough to kick it away i think. i live in a neighborhood where morons let their dogs run free, even though it's highly illegal.

BTW - thank you for your service to our country

In our society, animals have more rights then we do.

but i know for you, and for many of us - it's a life/death situation, esp. if its a big dog. a loud bang can disorient the dog enough to kick it away i think. i live in a neighborhood where morons let their dogs run free, even though it's highly illegal.

BTW - thank you for your service to our country
    Agreed. Unless you live out in rural farm land. Expect the cops to show up if you discharge your weapon. Who knows where it will go from there; from very inconvenient, embarrasing, and time consuming, to loosing your CCW, to ending up in court.

I really liked the suggestion about carrying spray. Now I have another thing to buy....

+1, you did right. Most dogs will run off if OC'd, or even if you take on the Alpha stance. Now, if it had been foaming at the mouth and snarling so to say, then you have a decision to make. I'm with wareagleky in the fact that I don't want to shoot any dog. Sometimes the owners for being stupid although that is another story.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

VIP Member
    I would only shoot if there was a threat of severe bodily harm to a human... shooting to protect your dog may not in many states be legal so I would always assume the aggressive dog was attacking me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links