Well....I finally jumped! - Page 2

Well....I finally jumped!

This is a discussion on Well....I finally jumped! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; welcome from s.e. michigan and good luck on your class....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well....I finally jumped!

cpl class

welcome from s.e. michigan and good luck on your class.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

living in N.H. testing isn't required to get a CCW(not rubbing it in)though i kinda wish there was cause you never know who's applying and their knowledge of gun safety...

i've been thinking of taking a self defense beginner course(though i already know proper safety...)
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

Gee, some folks here talk like 8-9 hours of class and 100 rounds of shooting was some kind of ordeal.

You get to spend the whole day with new friends who love shooting and are also interested in concealed carry, you get to learn new stuff about something you are very interested in, AND you get to shoot 100 rounds. It doesn't get much better than that!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Out here it's 4 hours of class, 4 hours of shooting, both Sat and Sun. Most people went through 300-400 rounds total. Some of them really needed it, and it was good practice for everyone.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Congrats and good luck.

Since your taking the class in Flint, here's to hoping that Michael Moore doesn't show up at your class with a movie camera.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Awesome

Be safe!!! Perfect practice makes Perfect... Go to the range and practice...

If you gotta clean your gun before you shoot a hundred rounds of ammo you either gotta quit throwing it in the mud in between sessions or you gotta find cleaner burning ammo.our class was like 10 hours and we shot after lunch,50 rounds practice and then 50 rounds to qualify,if you can hit the broadside of a barn you can qualify.The important stuff is the legal stuff as far as when you can and cannot shoot and where you can cannot carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Congrats on taking your own safety in your hands.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Congrats on making the jump. Very happy for you! Unfortunately, there are no actual ranges in my area. The only thing around here is the Rod and Gun Club and it's expensive. That sucks.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

There are small sportsman clubs all over the place around here, but none of them have CCW/CPL classes. They are like the local sighting in area. I have nothing against the local places, but I wanted the best training that I can get for a good price without going to far from home...Is 2 hours from home to far for a class? LOL

+1 on the caffeine.

The class will cover a lot of "law" issues. That part got pretty tedious for me at times. It's all info you should know, but its compressed into one small segment of the class. Do your best to stay focused and awake for that part. What made it bad for me was another student who had to ask a question about EVERYTHING the instructor said. So basically the instructor had to explain everything two or three times for this person. I'm glad they finally got an understanding of the law, but it sure made for a long boring class for the rest of us that picked up everything the first time through.

If your instructor follows the NRA guidelines, the class is actually laid out pretty well. Enjoy it, and while you're there, find out about advanced training. The shooting portion really only covers the very basics, so if you're relatively new to shooting (Or have even been shooting for years) there is a lot more great info, knowledge, and skill to be had.

Good luck, and have fun.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I just took a 3 day class this past weekend even though I have had my permit for the last 5 years. The last day was on the range. we shot 100 rounds through our guns and had a round robin with a bunch of other guns. I found out I have a bunch of bad habits to work on. I did improve my shoot quite a bit. I would encourage a class that will teach proper shooting techniqies and not just offer a certificate. Learn right to start with, it will be much easier.

I have every intention on adding to my training little bit by little bit. I would love to go to some of the bigger schools like Gunsite, frontsight etc... I know that I will. I just need the money to do so. Someday....

Quote Originally Posted by nomad4me View Post
    Yes.. I finally made the jump!
    I've been meaning to do the same, and in response to your thread, I finally picked up the phone. I'll be attending the class on Saturday. Thanks for that last straw of motivation! Now just $250, 90-100+ days and Texas violation of it's own laws, and I'll be able to exercise my constitutional rights!

Quote Originally Posted by obxned
    Gee, some folks here talk like 8-9 hours of class and 100 rounds of shooting was some kind of ordeal.

You get to spend the whole day with new friends who love shooting and are also interested in concealed carry, you get to learn new stuff about something you are very interested in, AND you get to shoot 100 rounds. It doesn't get much better than that!
    I don't "get" to do all this. I have to do all this. What I don't get to do is to live in a state that respects my constitutional rights! I know how to shoot a gun safely, my dad taught me that, and I suspect a good portion of this class will be spent on learning unconstitutional crap, bureaucracy, and legaleze that I shouldn't have to learn anyway. On the other hand, in that I have to take it, I'm still looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty
    The important stuff is the legal stuff as far as when you can and cannot shoot and where you can cannot carry
    I suspect that if I stay with a rule of thumb that I don't pull out the gun unless I think I'm about to die, I think that's probably about all I need to know. Where I can carry, in all of it's bureaucratic nonsense, is spelled out in the law itself. I'm not much on training classes, but I particularly resent being forced to take this one. Kind of like a defensive driving course. I resent the crap out of it, but maybe it will be informative and fun.

I would much rather take a some sort of defensive pistol class that didn't waste most of my time dealing with a bunch of crap Texas laws that may now be unconstitutional.

For example, it's a class A or C misdemeanor in Texas if a 16 year old "child" gains access to a loaded gun, without it being secured in a safe or with trigger locks. Just where exactly could you place a loaded gun, no safe or trigger lock, in your home, that's secure from access by a 16 year old, and still have the law comply with Heller? I wonder if I'll learn that in my CHL class?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links