Well....I finally jumped!

This is a discussion on Well....I finally jumped! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes.. I finally made the jump! I signed up for my CCW/CPL class. I am so excited! My class starts Aug 30th in Flint, MI. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well....I finally jumped!

Well....I finally jumped!

Yes.. I finally made the jump!

I signed up for my CCW/CPL class. I am so excited! My class starts Aug 30th in Flint, MI. It is a little bit of a drive, but I consider it to be a hop jump and skip away considering every town is a half hour away!

Is there any information I may need to know other than common sense and knowing my way around the firearm I am using??

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    If you aren't already aware of it, you can check out Handgunlaw.us which has links to your state laws on CCW

congratz

Welcome to the forum and to a new hobby and lifestyle!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

common sense, and some patience... mi might be different but for MN we needed to bring 30 rounds for the test.. remember those...

They told me to bring 100 rounds of FMJ. It's a one day class that lasts 8-9 hours.

Get a good owb holster, and enough mags/reloaders to be able to reload twice, at least. Practice focusing on the front sight. Depending on how many rounds you shoot, you might consider being able to doing a basic cleaning and oiling at lunch or otherwise, so bring your cleaning kit.

100 rounds and 8 hours? Bring some caffeine!

Quote Originally Posted by braindonor View Post
    100 rounds and 8 hours? Bring some caffeine!

+1 from here!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    and lunch its going to be a long day my friend
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

My class was 8-9 hours from what I remember. Fired a total of 35 rounds. 10 of them weak handed so be ready for that. The shooting part was the local PD's BUG qualification from what I understand. If you're contemplating taking your Glock--you can leave the cleaning stuff at home. No need in carrying extra baggage. I was told to bring a box of 50 rounds to my class, but since I was among the last four students--the instructor told me I could shoot as much as I wanted. I'm a member for that range anyway, but if you get the chance to shoot free, take more than 100. Luckily my class was all inclusive...even fingerprinted there, two LEO's talked to the class...touches on legal matters, Q&A sessions, etc........ You have it better than those states that don't require a class in my opinion of course. Soak in everything you can.
    BTW----3, 5, and 7 yards is what we did if you want to practice beforehand. It's different than the typical range practice most do at 15-25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad4me View Post
    Yes.. I finally made the jump!

I signed up for my CCW/CPL class. I am so excited! My class starts Aug 30th in Flint, MI. It is a little bit of a drive, but I consider it to be a hop jump and skip away considering every town is a half hour away!

Is there any information I may need to know other than common sence and knowing my way around the firearm I am using??
    If you get a good night's sleep and follow the instructor's instructions,you'll be fine. You'll be told what to bring and what to wear.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

I applaud your effort to take responsibility for self-defense, and in the Flint area, that's very important...lived and worked not too far from there...some bad places 'in them there parts'...

Stay armed...when you are able...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I was told to bring holster weapon eye and hearing protection and 50 rounds to qualify. We shot 3,5,7, 12, and 15 yds practice from all these and listen to what the instructor tells you and you will be fine. Congrats on the leap Im almost at the end of the process of waiting for the state to issue my permit and also almost at the end of my rope.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Each state is different. I had to shoot 48 rounds in the class I took. We had 4 hours of class time, a short multiple choice test (it was simple), then we broke for lunch. Some of us just skipped lunch and went to the range to start qualifying. Overall it was an easy day if you knew anything about common sense, guns and how to shoot.

Good luck!
    Jack

Oh yeah, remember to wear a hat! Don't want hot brass flying back in your face or down your shirt.

VIP Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links