Carrying the first day of a new job

This is a discussion on Carrying the first day of a new job within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My life has really sucked for the last two months. My last contract sort of ended rather unexpectantly and now I find myself looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying the first day of a new job

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Carrying the first day of a new job

My life has really sucked for the last two months. My last contract sort of ended rather unexpectantly and now I find myself looking for a real permanent position. It has never taken me this long to find a job before. Especially a temporary one. Ugh.

I have been interviewing a lot of companies and during the interview I have been carrying. Since these weren't federal facilities or whatever, there was no reason why I couldn't. In fact, one turned out to be in a less than stellar part of town. I was just glad that my car wasn't broken into.

Eventually, one of these companies is going to make me an offer. The question is, do you carry the first day of work? (I have been self-employed for the entire time I have been carrying so this really never came up before.) Obviously, I would have no way of knowing what their policies were about weapons so I could always plead ignorance. After I get the company policy manual and have a chance to read it, I can make a decision as to whether I carry or not. Don't want to scare anyone accidentally the first day, or get fired before I start.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Do you have something that you could pocket carry? If so, that would be my choice until you get a "feel" for the place.

Slightly unrelated question - weren't you a chiropractor at one time? Not anymore? Why? Just curious. Thanks.

If you are carrying at the interviews, why worry about the first day on the job?

My concern would be for printing at the interview with a GFW in the interviewers chair.

If you do carry the first day, what would be your carry method?

If they have no metal detectors and you use a SmartCarry, I don't see an issue. If you use OWB or perhaps even IWB, well, IMO that increases your chances of being revealed.

Carry the first day, especially when you haven't read the company's policy manual? Yavolt for me, but I'd do it in a SmartCarry.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Slightly unrelated question - weren't you a chiropractor at one time? Not anymore? Why? Just curious. Thanks.
    I graduated with a BS in computer science. Did that for a few years, met a chiropractor decided that would be a cool thing to do, went to chiropractic school, practiced for about 10 years, burned out around 2000 and went back into computers.

Getting that first computer job was tough, but I soon got back up to speed and have been doing it ever since.

With the way health care is going in this country, I think I got out at the right time.

I wouldn't. I rather spent the first day making sure that I get things "right" vs. having to worry about concealing.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I would leave it locked up in the vehicle til you get a feel for the environment or carry a pocket gun like a keltec PF9 or similar sized gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I graduated with a BS in computer science. Did that for a few years, met a chiropractor decided that would be a cool thing to do, went to chiropractic school, practiced for about 10 years, burned out around 2000 and went back into computers.

Getting that first computer job was tough, but I soon got back up to speed and have been doing it ever since.

With the way health care is going in this country, I think I got out at the right time.
    Heh, acupuncture for MS Windows.

If you have a good rig for IWB, I would carry my first day; especially if you go to work for the place in a bad area.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Heh, acupuncture for MS Windows.
    If only that would fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    If you have a good rig for IWB, I would carry my first day; especially if you go to work for the place in a bad area.
    If I work there, I am carrying, end of story.

I carry everydat, starting a new job would be no different. Good luck on your new position.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I would scope it out first...keep weapon in the car.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Murphy's Law guarantees a rigid policy and no 'poor baby, you didn't know' slack. I would encourage you to assume you should not until you have read the employee handbook: if you see nothing there, make your decision. But corporate America is heavily invested in "cheaper to find a new set of employees" vs. lawsuit should a self-defense round go astray.

Administrator
    I'm always in need of a good back crackin, I'd go back to that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I would er, AHEM, Never think of violating company policy. Now, I carry my Glock 26 in a Nemesis pocket holster. No printing, and it happens to fit in my Dockers quite nicely. As the saying goes, "Concealed means concealed".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    If only that would fix it.

If I work there, I am carrying, end of story.
    You answered your own question right here.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links