I got made yesterday by someone who I hardly work with

This is a discussion on I got made yesterday by someone who I hardly work with within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a field service mechanic for a concrete paving company. I carry a Baby Eagle full size .40 tucked IWB. I was diagnosing an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am a field service mechanic for a concrete paving company. I carry a Baby Eagle full size .40 tucked IWB.

I was diagnosing an over heating problem with one of the units, and while checking the temperature of various parts of the engine with one of those infrared thermometers, the foreman walks up to me as says, "I'd have thought you would be using your other gun"

"What are you talking about?"

"The one you carry on you hip."

... "I'm a mechanic, all I have are tools, and some of them are for specific purposes"

"Like shooting someone?"

"No, wha...it's... How the did you find out?" As I turn from him and check to see if my shirt came untucked.

"I've known for a wile. I noticed it one day, it is something that I just look for. Don't worry, I wont tell anyone. So, what type is it?"

And the conversation went from there.

I did not ask him if he carries or if he is a CC permit holder. I figure, it's none of my business, and he did not volunteer anything.

Made me self conscious as heck for the next few hours, discretely and frequently checking to see if my shirt was still tucked in like a newbie.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

usually the only people who notice we carry,are others who carry.I'll bet if he doesn't carry he is at least gun friendly.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Unless your EDC was just plain exposed then 'most' people won't notice. The foreman 'may' have seen it before while you were engaged in other repairs prior to this, or perhaps you were just plain printing while he was right there.
    However he noticed it sounds innocent enough and not like something to worry too much over. Or, like TonyB said, he carries and, like the rest of us, checks out his surroundings with a 'carriers' eye.

I agree being 'made' like that will cause a regress, somewhat, to newbie paranoia....checking and rechecking and looking around more.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Made me self conscious as heck for the next few hours, discretely and frequently checking to see if my shirt was still tucked in like a newbie.
    Speculating on how you were made will drive you to distraction. Ask him directly. Then, if there is some problem to cure, you can act from knowledge.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Speculating on how you were made will drive you to distraction. Ask him directly. Then, if there is some problem to cure, you can act from knowledge.
    Good advice!

don't notice things like that. I'm guessing that he has his own 'tools', but maybe not at work. I'd find another opportunity to discuss it in more detail. OMO

Stay armed...befriend others who carry...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    "I'd have thought you would be using your other gun"

"What are you talking about?"

"The one you carry on you hip."

... "I'm a mechanic, all I have are tools, and some of them are for specific purposes"

"Like shooting someone?"
    "See, boss, it's kinda like showing up at a black-tie party in chinos and a Hawaiian Tshirt. When someone else starts the party, and doesn't have the decency to let you know, it can be really uncomfortable..."

You were made, plain and simple, if he made you this means that others may have as well. I would seriously look at mode of cover. Maybe buying extra tall shirts with longer tails would be in order. I would really be careful about reaching and crawling in your occupation until you get this fixed. If he said he looks for this sort of thing than I would assume he is a fellow CC'er or at least gun friendly.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I agree with these gentlemen. I would offer to buy him a beer after work (what contractor would turn that down?), and ask him directly in the more friendly setting that beer seems to create. Good luck.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

VIP Member
    Maybe you should invest in a J-frame for at work carry.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

When working on vehicles or anything else for that matter we bend twist and turn push up against stuff and unless you got a small pocket gun I guarantee you at sometime you will have a bulge that to a gun person screams gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't think that buying extra tall shirts is going to make any difference, since your tucking your shirt in anyway. That just means you have to tuck a bunch more shirt around your gun, and make the bulge bigger.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. More than likely he carries also, if not, he sure seems to be ok with it. Since he noticed it at an earlier time, he was probably just looking extra close this time. Heck he might not have even seen it this time, but was just yanking your chain over it.

No biggie in my book, better than, Oh my god, what are you doing with that gun on my jobsite, I am calling your supervisor and having another technician come to do our work.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

AMH
    I wouldn’t sweat it.

I make an honest and good faith attempt to keep my weapon concealed, but if it does somehow become exposed I really don’t care.

I will also sometimes open carry on my property if it is to hot for a decent cover garment, usually to my neighbors dismay. I just don’t give a rat’s behind.

Open and concealed has both pros and cons. I am in no way ashamed or embarrassed about my 2A rights. I am no more secretive of it than I am about the fact that I vote.

I sometimes wonder if the veil of secrecy that often shrouds the CC community retards the 2A movement and progress?
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    I wouldn’t sweat it.

I make an honest and good faith attempt to keep my weapon concealed, but if it does somehow become exposed I really don’t care.

I will also sometimes open carry on my property if it is to hot for a decent cover garment, usually to my neighbors dismay. I just don’t give a rat’s behind.

Open and concealed has both pros and cons. I am in no way ashamed or embarrassed about my 2A rights. I am no more secretive of it than I am about the fact that I vote.

I sometimes wonder if the veil of secrecy that often shrouds the CC community retards the 2A movement and progress?
    you bring up a very good point. I have my CC permit, but it's a permit - i am permitted to conceal. that permission can be revoked at any time.

OC is me displaying my RKBA - openly. An right not exercised is a right lost.

While CCing has its pluses, so does OCing. the open carry movement (OCDO) is breaking ground and bringing gun owner "out of the shadows"...what do we have to ashamed of? i know, we live in a very different society where guns are seen as evil, but that's because people are uneducated and the left-wing media propaganda is so thick.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    If a recognized goal is to spread the word, then yes, of course. In the eternal CC/OC debate, everyone agrees that spreading the word is mainly going to be accomplished by OC.

Of course many who carry concealed have no education agenda, they just want to quietly keep their defensive options.

On topic: none of us are perfect at CC, sooner or later we will all be made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links