Proud of son

Proud of son

This is a discussion on Proud of son within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well folks - one of them days when not much time on puter - a rare event! All morning and into pm was shooting - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proud of son

Assistant Administrator

Proud of son

Well folks - one of them days when not much time on puter - a rare event!

All morning and into pm was shooting - but this shooting with my dear son (he's near 29) - always a real treat. The day was just beautiful - even warmed up - could not have been nicer. Wish I'd taken camera but neither of us remembered.

Prime purpose was to do with CCW - totally unbidden by me (tho I have wanted to nudge him for some while) - he decided it was time to set up for carry. I had not been totally sure how his wife would be - tho she knows I carry - but seems she is fine with it, and his in-laws too.

Sadly his work policy is no firearms in work but - small plus - he is allowed to have gun in car in parking lot - small recompense but better than some.

He is a revo fan and always shot great with me back in UK days when we did competitions - and so chose a snub - well, for initial carry anyways!! He picked up a 637 Airweight other day and this needed use! Unfortunately he had to relinquish his almost NIB GP-100 because no spare cash right now (that you may expect was sold almost next day in the gun shop!).

First stage of session was actually checking his 7mm mag deer rifle at 100 - and I also had to dial in my L1A1 after a sight change - that done 100 was about finished, except for a few grin-making rounds sent down to 100 also with the 45-70 BFR .

Ok - on to ''business''. . At risk if boring him a bit - I ran thru about everything re CCW, per courses I teach - safety he knows well but we refreshed that - carry method will be for now my old Jim Burke belt slide I used for SP-101 before - suits well. Gave him a spare Comp 1 speedloader too. We also went into legal, mindset, allsorts.

He LOVED the gun - and oh my - shot like a champ. Gave me no small measure of pride to see him quickly getting some truly impressive hits, all DA of course - and we included quite a bit of holster work too - draw, shoot - draw, double tap - draw, engage two tagets at 90ļ apart - numerous drills. Use too of speedloader.

Heck guys, I know I am biased but the thrill I got out of seeing him just settle in and perform - I was impressed as well as proud. Showed me just how much skill he had acrued since way back, despite not being a very active shooter. I can say honestly, he is even as of now - totally ready for carry.

All he has to do is squeeze in a lunchtime plus a bit this week to visit Sheriff's office and get the permit.

Sorry to ramble but - some may understand what a great few hours company and shooting I enjoyed earlier on.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sorry to ramble but - some may understand what a great few hours company and shooting I enjoyed earlier on
    Ramble on...
    At 17 and 19, neither of my girls can carry...outside of the house.
    But they shine at the range and just today my younger was telling me how she was investigating a noise at 3am this morning with her .38 pointed at the floor...turned out the cat caught a flying squirrel.

I'm 1,800 miles away from home...so it's nice to hear they are covered.

So yeah, I understand the feeling seeing my kids having the understanding and capability.

It's cool that you have your son carring!
    To bad he had to give up that GP100. But it seems that he's hooked up now.

I don't have kids yet but I can't wait till I can teach my kids weapons safety. Thank for the post.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Hey Chris.....What can be better than that? you, and your Son, out enjoying together as Father and Son, Teacher and student.. My 15 yr-old is always my right hand man, when it come to the range times.....he was bugging me for a weapon.. possibly a Sig Mosquito, until yesterday (saturday) I found him a 22 to keep him busy...A Walther PPK clone (it's an Erma, but he's thrilled just having "his own" to shoot) in 22LR....for the paultry price of 104.50 ...and you know where I got it from hehehehe he's now bugging me to get some time off so he can go try it out, with my supervision of course.. and he knows it's secured from his greedy fingers until Im home.
    Darn kid has aready stripped it down to it's basic parts and re-assembled it.
    he's still placing the bug in my ear for that Mosquito. I did find a ANIB one for cheapo $$...Christmas is coming..so I might get it yet
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

1951 - 2011
    Hello. V E R Y good.

Best.

Lead Moderator
    good to get more people exercising their 2nd Ammend. rights.

Cool

P95 you just ramble on all you want. As a father of two with the oldest being a son, i look forward to that day myself.

Shooting with the children

Hi Chris,

You have every right to ramble and be proud.
    It really makes me happy that my boys still are willing to spend time at the range with their old man. I strated them both at 8 years old with air rifles and we've been shooting together ever since. They both out do me now, but that's what it's all about.

Both their wives shoot with them and soon, the Grandchildren will begin. It doesn't get much better than having something the whole family can do together. My oldest is 36, so we've shot together for 28 years.

Be Well,

Scarface
    Scarface
    Good night, Chesty, wherever you are
    http://www.anklepocket.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Thanks for the tolerance of my ramble It still feels good.

Did forget to add earlier - after he'd finished up his practice ammo - I got him into some semi stuff - seeing as he had had very little (if any) time on semi's in past. Yet again - oh my - he did GOOD!! Did run over manual of arms first, of course but hey - he's a real quick learner.

Stoked him up with a full 15 rounder on 226 - he got part ways thru - looked over - and I said - ''take it to slidelock dude" He did - and did darned well. Then he put a mag thru the 220 - equally satisfactory - and finally some rounds thru the diminutive Rohrbaugh R9 - he rather liked that - and shot it better than me - eek!

Know what folks - when a son is married, kids and works hard - times are few and far between to manage this stuff - heck it was almost exactly two years ago we had the last proper range session, tho some shotgunning in between I admit, but that ain't the same as just us two in an empty range.

These are truly special days - some of you know this - others will I hope find it out. Hard to quantify in words - but stuff he will remember long after I am gone I think - no, I know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Buck, my friend - you sneeked thru as I was rambling again LOL! Yes indeed - we are fortunate to have some very treasured memories.

Best to you
    Chris - P95

OD*
    Excellent Chris!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thumbs up

Chris, Kind of makes ya feel that way
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Some of my greatest memories as a kid are of shooting with my Father...now I'm 37 and he's 62,and we still shoot together...he's recently started IDPA in the club I shoot with,so it's even better.
    (BTW P95,I know you said you have a Bike(I think)..my Father hit a deer on his BMW 2 weeks ago,and will be in a wheelchair for 6 weeks,so no shooting for him.....but he did get a NEW bike..he's the only guy I know who orded a bike from a wheelchair!! )
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Tony - sorry to hear of your dad's bike wreck - that is something I have always been only too aware of when riding - and in fact I try to avoid night riding too most of time. Of course, always some measure of risk we have to take.

Wish him well from us here - fellow bikers and shooters, we have a common bond. Glad you have him to shoot with and will again enjoy that when he is back in shape.
    Chris - P95

Chris,

Range time with your son is always a treasured time. The only difference between yours and mine is, my son is the one doing the teaching. My son took it upon himself to learn to shoot fast, and now he teaches the old man how.

Assistant Administrator
    Know what Larry - there is indeed pleasure to be derived from a son teaching the old man.

There is the enjoyment of seeing an offspring's skills, ''chest swelling with pride'' - plus as ever, just the shere pleasure of common bond as well as the blood link.

He has a son on the way - may have forgotten to tell you - in fact sure I did. That is due before Easter and so - I will hope very much that perhaps Camryn will be taught to shoot but particularly that the son will - and maybe enjoy the same pleasures we have.

I'd love to think I'll last long enough to be able to make that a threesome but - probably not quite that optimistic!
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links