A mile in Manassas

This is a discussion on A mile in Manassas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are times where I don't feel like getting dressed just to go for a late night snack, but I do anyway. I know the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A mile in Manassas

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    There are times where I don't feel like getting dressed just to go for a late night snack, but I do anyway. I know the extra 2 minutes I spend putting on my jeans and carry gear very well may be the difference between making it home, and ending up in the hospital. On rare occasions I throw on a hoodie and stuff my G26 in the front pocket.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

There are times where I don't feel like getting dressed just to go for a late night snack, but I do anyway. I know the extra 2 minutes I spend putting on my jeans and carry gear very well may be the difference between making it home, and ending up in the hospital.
    That right there says it all.

Biker

I posted a week or so ago about having to make a quick trip to Walmart. No other stops, just a quick in and out and back home.

I wasn't feeling well, had an upset stomach and didn't feel like packing a gun that day.

I just couldn't get myself to go out the door without it, so I put the gun on anyway and off I went.

Absolutely nothing untoward happened but I felt like I did the right thing.

Mr. Murphy is my co-pilot and if something was going to happen, it would have happened when I was without my gun.

Not that I can't defend myself without a gun... far from it! (defense/control tactics trainer, ground fighting trainer, weapon retention trainer)

But an old saying kept nagging at me before I went out without it.

"When what you need is a gun to defend yourself... there is no substitute!"

Btw... It didn't do you any good in the car, now did it?

Stay armed for crying out loud! It's what you went through all that trouble to get your permit for.

Packin' Iron is a way of life, not a hobby! (At least is should be!)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I also think he learned his lesson. At times I may think do I really need to take a weapon, then I get it anyway. Here in Salt Lake things are starting to get bad. Just the other day a little 7 year old girl was killed in a drive by. No I carry no matter what.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    In VA, are you required to be disarmed when entering a 7-Eleven convenience store for a soda?

Don't have to disarm, but the laziness kicked in because
    1. I had 5 minutes to try and get out the door and to the local store, so I just threw the holstered pistol on the seat on the way out
    2. I DEFINITELY didn't feel like "getting dressed" in the parking lot of a 7 eleven.

Wish I could have seen what was going on inside before I stepped in, but 75% of the city is hispanic, and although MS is the biggest gang problem in the area, without the tattoos, you can't tell the difference in that town anymore.
    Why not? It's Virginia for cryin out loud...
    Agreed on the MS thing. They're everywhere now. I had a little run-in myself at my usual gas station in leesburg this past week. Seems like the bugs are spreading.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I never leave the house without my gun that's because I carry 24/7 I can't run do to spinal injury and my crystal ball broke so I can't tell the future
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Dude, when I feel lazy and don't feel like "strapping up", I throw a Kel-Tec in my pocket. Always have a gun on you.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Glide View Post
    Be careful going through Cana or Ararat. LOL Was just in Mayberry last week. Ate at Goobers. I used to live just up the mountain in VA.

Goobers is good, but I prefer the Depot in Dobson, and nothing beats Hungry Farmer on 52 in Cana for good country cookin. I just got back from a week camping trip in Fancy Gap and thanks to reciprocy I was able to carry the entire time. My wife said " Don't you ever leave that thing at home!!!" I just smiled and said " Nope!!"

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Dude, when I feel lazy and don't feel like "strapping up", I throw a Kel-Tec in my pocket. Always have a gun on you.
    Yep, that's why I'm looking into a Ruger LCP!

Still I sucked it up and pocket carried the XD9sc for the trip to Walmart since I was nauseous and didn't feel like wearing a gunbelt and G-23.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Manassas just keeps getting worse.

I had a friend who stopped at a local gas station/shop n rob a couple of weeks ago and as she was coming back to her car, 6 guys started hassling her.

One yelled for her to "come here". She told them to leave her alone.

One guy then ran and stopped between her and her car. He then said, "my boy said to come here".

At this point, she lifted her shirt, pulled her Glock 27 (appendex carry with holster, by the way) holding it at her side pointing down and explained again that they should leave her alone.

They all backed off and she heard one of the guys say "she's serious".

She said that she had a serious adrenaline dump after the incident.

I am in Manassas at least once a week and ALWAYS go armed!

Glad you made it to your car OK.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    ...One guy then ran and stopped between her and her car. He then said, "my boy said to come here".

At this point, she lifted her shirt, pulled her Glock 27 (appendex carry with holster, by the way) holding it at her side pointing down and explained again that they should leave her alone.

They all backed off and she heard one of the guys say "she's serious".

Another example of merely displaying a pistol can foil the crime!

Any doubt in anyones mind that had she been unarmed... Things probably would have gotten ugly before it was over?

Now a lot of arm chair commando's would say... "no need to pull a gun at that point!" "too early to tell their intentions!"

BS! You weren't there, she was. She felt the need, and it ended there! Great Job! 100%!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Another example of merely displaying a pistol can foil the crime!

Any doubt in anyones mind that had she been unarmed... Things probably would have gotten ugly before it was over?

Now a lot of arm chair commando's would say... "no need to pull a gun at that point!" "too early to tell their intentions!"

BS! You weren't there, she was. She felt the need, and it ended there! Great Job! 100%!
    Do you call the police after something like this? Obviously it could look bad if the clerk sees it on camera and calls the cops, but not knowing their intentions might make me just want to get to my car safe and go home. Maybe one thing if they actually made a threat and the situation called for force before thy backed off... but just instinct? Maybe there is no difference, I don't know?
    To call or not to call?

I would say it's probably a good idea to get in the car and get the heck outta dodge first...

Best course would be to go to next closest gas station or someplace safe and then call 911.

That being said... It's kind of a judgment call. Some people would say don't bother... others say, the 1st one to call is the victim and the second one to call is the bad guy and that sort of thing.

Studies have been done... and no, I don't have the numbers at my fingertips, but suffice it to say that it is estimated that hundreds of thousands of armed citizens use a gun every year to foil a crime just like in PaulG's post without a shot being fired. The numbers are estimated because many of them go unreported to the police for whatever reason.

So... I'm advising the best thing to do is call... but it's a judgment call none the less. I haven't had to pull my gun on anyone outside of the encounters on the swat team I'm on, so I don't know if I'll call or not. Depends on the big picture and circumstances at the time I suppose.

My wife has had to pull her gun once and she never reported it and nothing became of it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Two things I learned:
    1. I need to buy a folding knife
    2. If gangstas cut in front of you, let them--especially if you're unarmed.
    3. Tactical scenarios don't do you any good in that position, all I could have done if something went bad is break for the door, do a movie-style slide over my hood, and bail.
    4. I need to buy a new cell phone tomorrow.
    5. When you see gang tattoos, say "Why, what a lovely gesture!! Are those your boyfriend's initials?"

I'll give you another lesson you should have learned but did not state: Don't take your survival gear (ie. your gun) with you but then leave it in the car where it is exactly no good to you when you may need it while you are outside your vehicle! The best place for you gun, no matter if it is when you are walking around or driving is for it to be on your hip! The gun being on the seat next to you does you no good at all when some gang banger runs you off the road. Where is your gun after the wreck? Who knows, but you;d know where it is if it had been where it should have been, secured in its holster on your hip.

And if you guys have as much of a problem with these MS-13 idiots as we do here in Memphis, you darn sure shouldn't be without your gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member
    Always good reminders. Always!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links