A mile in Manassas

This is a discussion on A mile in Manassas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm staying at my folks place for a week while I move to another place, and my pops asked me to run to the store ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A mile in Manassas

A mile in Manassas

I'm staying at my folks place for a week while I move to another place, and my pops asked me to run to the store to get some "5 Hour Energy" (eww). Didn't feel like strapping up, so I tossed the pistol in my holster and placed it on the passenger seat covered by a laundry bag. Seeing all the mom and pops stores closed, and 7 Eleven packed, I drove to Manassas. There's an Exxon a little ways down where the clerk always appreciates me paying a visit (he was the first to suggest I buy a firearm). Pulling in, I take a look at the situation and decide it's best to park right in front of the store where the white lines tell me not to. Going inside, I see 5 hispanic men, and two black men eyeing each other--save it, I'm not a racist, but we have gang problems that don't involve whites in this town. I go to the back, grab a Dr. Pepper, and wait as I scan the room. Two more hispanics walk in and cut in line in front of me... I keep quiet (no knife, no gun, no luck). The black men (early twenties) wait in line and eventually just walk out without paying. My eyes make their way to the remaining men's hands to see "MS" tattooed (I'm sure most of you know, but that's MS as in Mara Salvatrucha, MS-13, growing in VA by the minute). I look outside to see that they are all gathering in front of my vehicle. I finally get to the counter, say hello to my clerk, and see they don't have what I came for. I walked out to hear the 7 gangsters "steppin'" at the two black guys. I had to walk between two of them to get out the door (remember my car is right outside), excuse myself with a "perdon", and make it to my car. I have to drive through where these guys are standing, necessitating a 'honk', so as soon as I get in, I lock the doors, reach under the laundry bag, and press check the .40 before giving the horn a tap. After a few dirty looks and some slow gangsta steps, I'm out. A mile up the same road, I stop at another Exxon and get the drinks. You wouldn't believe the difference you see driving only a mile in Manassas. A little bonus to the story, my cell phone is MIA, bad news.

Two things I learned:
    1. I need to buy a folding knife
    2. If gangstas cut in front of you, let them--especially if you're unarmed.
    3. Tactical scenarios don't do you any good in that position, all I could have done if something went bad is break for the door, do a movie-style slide over my hood, and bail.
    4. I need to buy a new cell phone tomorrow.
    5. When you see gang tattoos, say "Why, what a lovely gesture!! Are those your boyfriend's initials?"

I got little nervous, and all that had happened was a little eye contact at the time. Never thought I'd be such a weakling without my piece! I wouldn't have thought about it twice before I started packin'.

Sorry about the long post, details are the only way I know how to tell stories.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 19th, 2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Deleted 2 language workarounds.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That'll teach ya !

Never leave the house without something on you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You weren't being chicken. There was nothing you would have been able to do. They would have either beaten the holy crap out of you or killed you. Now, you know to keep your firearm with you. My CCW instructor told us that if we get a CCW, we should carry all the time. The one time you don't is the one time you need it. It could cost you your life.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    My CCW instructor told us that if we get a CCW, we should carry all the time. The one time you don't is the one time you need it. It could cost you your life.
    So true. I get onto my wife all the time for this. Take the extra few seconds to arm yourself, always! Keep your eyes open and always watch your 6!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Whew! I'm nervous just reading it... Your life and health probably aren't worth a 5-hour energy.... there are places in Tucson where I wouldn't get a soda after dark even if I had body armor, a K-9 unit, and a shotgun in hand.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

In VA, are you required to be disarmed when entering a 7-Eleven convenience store for a soda? If only doing soda, how about heading to a drive-through McD's or alternative? Keeps you in the car, armed, at least.

I hear you, re MS-13 and other 'bangers. The idiots are everywhere, here. It's simply unsafe whenever several gather.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think the man has learned a lesson that maybe we all need to learn over again from time to time.

Keep the damn gun ON you.

ALL the time.

(as well as don't go to bad places, a whole other topic)
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

1. I need to buy a folding knife

I carry two or three, only one is a folder for what it's worth.

2. If gangstas cut in front of you, let them--especially if you're unarmed.

Even if your armed, let them cut the line. The goal is to NOT get in a shootout.

3. Tactical scenarios don't do you any good in that position, all I could have done if something went bad is break for the door, do a movie-style slide over my hood, and bail.

Even if you were armed and something went down you should be looking to escape and evade.

4. I need to buy a new cell phone tomorrow.

I won't carry a gun without a cellphone and a reload ::hint hint::

5. When you see gang tattoos, say "Why, what a lovely gesture!! Are those your boyfriend's initials?"

Tell me where you plan to be buried so I know where to send flowers. If you didn't feel the situation was "right" you shouldn't have even gone in the store. No soda is worth your life.

Biker

In VA, are you required to be disarmed when entering a 7-Eleven convenience store for a soda?

Don't have to disarm, but the laziness kicked in because
    1. I had 5 minutes to try and get out the door and to the local store, so I just threw the holstered pistol on the seat on the way out
    2. I DEFINITELY didn't feel like "getting dressed" in the parking lot of a 7 eleven.

Wish I could have seen what was going on inside before I stepped in, but 75% of the city is hispanic, and although MS is the biggest gang problem in the area, without the tattoos, you can't tell the difference in that town anymore.

Fortunately when they hung out in front of your car they didn't see your pistol on the front seat and break in to grab it! I can never accept leaving my firearm in a vehicle!

Glad it all worked out for you and you learned a lesson. The MS-13 was on our local news last week. It seems they are trying to set up down in Winston Salem, cops say they arrested all the members for a home invasion. The cops here don't have a clue how to deal with gangs. I delt with these gangs when I was out in CA. and country boy cops ain't going to cut it with these guys!! Nothing against my country cop friends. I live in Mayberry RFD , literally, this is the birthplace of Andy Griffith and the town the show was based on. It is still 50 years behind the times and my my wife laughs at me for carrying everywhere we go, including church. She just doesn't get it yet!! If I were you I would stay out of that part of town after dar, armed or unarmed you don't need to be there. Sometimes it is amazing how a neighborhood can change by a railroad track or highway. Be safe!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

You should have stuck in in your pants "ganster style".
    Then just diddie bob on in. You would have fit right in with no problems!

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member
    Scary, indeed! I lived in NoVa for ten years. One of my closest friends moved out of Manassas last year after living in the same house 25 years for the very reason you stated. He put a for sale sign up the day his teenage daughter was threatened in his own neighborhood. It really is getting bad. As my son said in an earlier post, there are quadrants in Tucson we don't go near anytime after five in the afternoon.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Glad it all worked out for you and you learned a lesson. The MS-13 was on our local news last week. It seems they are trying to set up down in Winston Salem, cops say they arrested all the members for a home invasion. The cops here don't have a clue how to deal with gangs. I delt with these gangs when I was out in CA. and country boy cops ain't going to cut it with these guys!! Nothing against my country cop friends. I live in Mayberry RFD , literally, this is the birthplace of Andy Griffith and the town the show was based on. It is still 50 years behind the times and my my wife laughs at me for carrying everywhere we go, including church. She just doesn't get it yet!! If I were you I would stay out of that part of town after dar, armed or unarmed you don't need to be there. Sometimes it is amazing how a neighborhood can change by a railroad track or highway. Be safe!!

NCH

Be careful going through Cana or Ararat. LOL Was just in Mayberry last week. Ate at Goobers. I used to live just up the mountain in VA.

VIP Member
    Welcome to Manassas.

You learned a valuable lesson with little pain. Not bad I guess.

Also you are correct that you need a folder. Concealing a fixed blade knife of any length is illegal in VA even with a CHP, because ours are concealed handgun permits. Now you can OC any fixed blade knife you wish. Some of the MS13 Youth Group members favor machetes. Obviously they are going to clear brush in a local park, but I digress.

Get a good folder and stay armed. Manassas certainly has good and bad areas. A guy I was friends with owned rental properties in Georgetown South and like neighborhoods. He always invited me along when he was doing inspections and maintenance. He didn't carry, but knew that I did.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links