Problem this morning with ccw - Page 3

Problem this morning with ccw

This is a discussion on Problem this morning with ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Kerbouchard They are under no obligation to sell you a product. You are under an obligation to prove who you are or ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem this morning with ccw

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    They are under no obligation to sell you a product. You are under an obligation to prove who you are or that you are qualified/of age to purchase a product.
    In most cases this is true, but pharmacies generally cannot refuse to fill your prescription. Doubtless the pharmacist thought that your CCW was not valid ID, but he may be required to accept it. The laws vary from state to state. Contact the Board of Pharmacy in your state to see how you stand.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    AFAIK, many times if they ask for ID, they have to input the info into their register or computer before completing the sale. If it's not a Drivers License, they can't figure out how to fill in the computer form and it may not recognize anything but a DL number. I once had to buy meds out of state, which required ID, and I had to clear up the druggist's confusion as to which numbers to use off the Ohio DL to get their form complete.
    Rainmaker makes a good point. However, the pharmacist could have politely said that and that would have cleared it up without making her feel like a felon. (how ironic...)
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member

Good question / good issue to discuss

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Seems like a lot of states do not have photo ID CCW's. It would be an interesting thread to start to have a discussion of whether you think photos should be on CCW ID's. (NY has a photo).
    The Texas Concealed Handgun License has a photo; looks almost identical to the DL, and has both the handgun license number and the DL number printed on the face.

When you have any encounter with an officer, even if you aren't driving, you must show both the handgun license a DL with the same number printed on it as shown on the face of the handgun license.

This can in some circumstances be a bit of a nuisance, or even impossible.

I'm always suprised to hear that some states don't have photos on their handgun liscence. It seems to me that if someone is carrying you would want to be absolutely certain they were who they said.Whats the reasoning behind that, cost efficiency, I'm sure it would make the leo's job easier as well.

Creep is an anti why give him your money move on to a reputable American establishment. If it is a chain complain if the corporation is anti let us know
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I Utah we do have a picture on our CFP. It is also a legal ID, I would get a hold of there corp. offices in Salt Lake and complain. The only time I use mine is when I buy a new weapon.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

If you mother did not have a DL because she doesn't drive, she can get a state issued ID card from the department of motor vehicles (at least that's true in Virginia). It looks just about like a DL but it's not.

When I was on active duty my Florida driver's license did not have a picture or signature. Where the picture was were the words "Valid without picture or signature". The Department of Motor Vehicles sent it to me when my license expired.

Many times when going to cash a check the store would not accept my military ID which had a picture and signature. But they would accept the Florida license with no picture or signature. I remember asking one time how they knew that was my license. The young girl at the checkout said, "Because you gave it to me." :)
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Mine wouldn't do squat for ID purposes, no picture on it in VA. But as the Utah CCW does have a photo, and is state issued, I can't imagine why they wouldn't take it...

Other than the fact that the manager is probably just uneducated or biased.
    I think in Virginia it only counts as a form of ID if you have your DL or another state issued ID with it. :shrug:

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    This will vary no doubt from state to state.

But ignorance is everywhere.

Many years ago I overheard a conversation with a woman and a clerk in a large department store. She wanted to pay with AMEX Travelers Checks and "all" she had for ID was her Passport. Clerk told her that a Passport wasn't a valid ID and no sale unless she had a DL with her.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    This will vary no doubt from state to state.

But ignorance is everywhere.

Many years ago I overheard a conversation with a woman and a clerk in a large department store. She wanted to pay with AMEX Travelers Checks and "all" she had for ID was her Passport. Clerk told her that a Passport wasn't a valid ID and no sale unless she had a DL with her.

I think it is written somewhere in Ohios law that it is NOT a valid form of ID.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Mine wouldn't do squat for ID purposes, no picture on it in VA. But as the Utah CCW does have a photo, and is state issued, I can't imagine why they wouldn't take it...

Other than the fact that the manager is probably just uneducated or biased.
    I'm pretty sure non Resident VA permits have Passport size photos but resident permits do not.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    AFAIK, many times if they ask for ID, they have to input the info into their register or computer before completing the sale. If it's not a Drivers License, they can't figure out how to fill in the computer form and it may not recognize anything but a DL number. I once had to buy meds out of state, which required ID, and I had to clear up the druggist's confusion as to which numbers to use off the Ohio DL to get their form complete.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I disagree... there are many who do not have a DL - but do have a state-issued ID or a military ID (never heard of any place not accepting a military ID). So long as it is considered proper ID by the state, it is proper ID for any other legal requirement. I would have taken this up the chain and gotten it resolved. The computers will recognize many different forms for this specific reason.

Howard
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    SC SLED Certified CWP Instructor

A couple of years ago, I had to stop by a bank to get myself added as a signer on a non-profit's bank account.

When I got there, I was told I had to show two ID's with my current address on them and at least one of them had to have a picture ID.

VA drivers license had both address and picture. The only other ID I had with my address on it was my VA CCW.

I would rather not have used it, but I didn't want to make a second trip to the bank so I used the CCW.

Worked out fine. Two tellers even started a discussion with me about how they could get a permit.

It's all good!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links