Problem this morning with ccw

This is a discussion on Problem this morning with ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright so before i begin this story i should note that i dont condone using a ccw as a form of an id unless its ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem this morning with ccw

Problem this morning with ccw

Alright so before i begin this story i should note that i dont condone using a ccw as a form of an id unless its a leo of course. So anyway on to my problem. My mother came storming in the door this morning furious that the man at her local smiths pharmacy refused her, her meds because the only form of id she had on her was her ccw. When she asked to see the manager he simply said "i am the manager and that doesn't count as an id nor are you allowed to show it in public" then promplty told her to leave....so what im wondering specifically is this. can a ccw be used as a legal form of id?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If its government issued, yes. Poor form? Maybe. But it is an ID card.
    "Just blame Sixto"

yup actual id card.......not a bad form. looking at it right now. sigh.....

I think Sixto meant its not an ideal form of ID. Yes, it is a gov't issued ID and should be allowed, but many places won't accept a military ID, either. It really just comes down to what the seller/manager is comfortable with.

They are under no obligation to sell you a product. You are under an obligation to prove who you are or that you are qualified/of age to purchase a product.

If they have never seen and ID like that, they may not know how to validate it. With the amount of fake ID's out there, it would be very difficult to expect every cashier to be familiar with every form of ID, and to know which ones are real and which ones are not.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    I meant using it as an ID could be bad form as in a bad practice or idea. But it doesn't matter either way the pharmacy has the right to refuse, and you have the right to go to the next one down the street.
    "Just blame Sixto"

fair enough. i was just making sure that being refused was ...."normal." just, ya know, kinda pisses me off. the meds are literally needed to keep my mom alive and they tell her no based on the fact they dont like the id, which is, as you say, a legal form of identification. but if its their right to refuse i have nothing to really complain about. lol, its my right to carry.....i dont like it when they complain.

oh and i know its a bad idea to use as a primary id in any scenario that could be considered mundane. strange to think that in theory i could be refused even when using my actual id......that just seems stupid, but makes sense.

AFAIK, many times if they ask for ID, they have to input the info into their register or computer before completing the sale. If it's not a Drivers License, they can't figure out how to fill in the computer form and it may not recognize anything but a DL number. I once had to buy meds out of state, which required ID, and I had to clear up the druggist's confusion as to which numbers to use off the Ohio DL to get their form complete.
    Steve

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If its government issued, yes. Poor form? Maybe. But it is an ID card.
    Harumph! Bloody poor form indeed. Not a very good show eh old chap?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

JD
    Administrator
    Mine wouldn't do squat for ID purposes, no picture on it in VA. But as the Utah CCW does have a photo, and is state issued, I can't imagine why they wouldn't take it...

Other than the fact that the manager is probably just uneducated or biased.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Mine wouldn't do squat for ID purposes, no picture on it in VA.
    I didn't think about that; does Utah's have a picture?
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I didn't think about that; does Utah's have a picture?
    See above post again, I edited...

It's small, but this is supposed to be a Utah sample.

I assume that your mother does not have a driver license. She should consider getting a Utah state-issued ID card.

Utah Department of Public Safety

Utah ID card FAQs:

Utah Department of Public Safety
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Mine looks exactly like a driver's license and being a government issued ID should work. So, I was very surprised one time when I was at a bank, doing some routine business, asked for a second, and offered my handgun license---which was rejected as ID--but they were willing to take my AAA card.

Two possible reasons come to mind, but first let me comment that in general it is bad form to use the license for ID and would normally not have offered it up, except I wanted to get my business over and done with and get out of there as it had already taken 45 minutes to do by computer what a clerk could do with pen and pencil in 30 seconds.

OK-- the two reasons I think they won't take it.

1) Ignorance. They don't see them often and so they could be bogus. But that doesn't really explain how a AAA card could work.

2) Stupidity. Willing to take AAA card for ID but not the license.

3) Maybe the real reason. Because TEXAS will now not release any information on Handgun License Holders, the banks may feel that they are of limited usefulness for other business purposes and as they can not verify the card merely by calling DPS. Just a guess.

My real thinking is "el stupido" clerks.

(USUALLY if I anticipate that I will need ID, I bring a state issued ID card which is different from my driver's license and says "for identification only," or something similar on the face. I use this when I travel, so I don't risk losing my DL by leaving it at the airport counter or TSA checkpoint, or just dropping it by mistake.)

NC has no photo so I doubt it would be considered a legal form of ID. I have never once shown my permit to anyone in 12 years. Unless it is LEO it should just stay in the wallet.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

AZ's has no photo. When folks use unusual forms of ID, I'm naturally suspicious. Very few people don't have a driver's licence, and it should be the defacto ID carried.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links