Selling to CCW holder: MI

This is a discussion on Selling to CCW holder: MI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a buddy interested in purchasing a firearm from me and he has a Michigan CCW(We both live in Michigan). Is there any paper ...

Thread: Selling to CCW holder: MI

Selling to CCW holder: MI

I have a buddy interested in purchasing a firearm from me and he has a Michigan CCW(We both live in Michigan). Is there any paper work that needs to be filled out? What is proper procedure for a firearm transfer?
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Depends

If it's arifle you don't have to do anything. But for a pistol you have to go through a FFL and do a transfer.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flor1 View Post
    If it's arifle you don't have to do anything. But for a pistol you have to go through a FFL and do a transfer.
    Not true.

Go here for Michigan gun laws.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

no ffl needed unless you're shipping. No paperwork for long guns, but I'd highly recommend getting him to sign a dated receipt that you keep. Your local PD will have a form for cpl purchases. I bought a pistol from a guy and showed up with it to get it inspected, and got a light scolding for not having the paperwork, but they let me fill it out there. I'd just go ahead of time and tell them what you want to do. They'll hook you up.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Just sold a handgun to another Michigan CPL holder.

Print out Form RI-60 found here: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

The buyer gets 1 copy, you take the rest. 1 you keep, the other gets mailed to the State Police. Thats it. You have 10 days to mail it from the date of sale.

Thank you,appreciate all the help!

Lead Moderator
    You can download and print a form from State of MI too. Saves ya a trip to the SD to only once for your safety inspection.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If you feel the need to do paperwork there is a PDF file on my website you can download and use Gun Sale Form. I do not know about your state but in WA we can still sell our private property as we see fit
    Disregard use the state forms offered if required
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

The governor signed the bills repealing the safety inspections last week. According to the NRA the law was to take effect immediately. According to MCGRO, the effective date was 180 days (written on their web site), but per a phone conversation with them, the 'immediate' date is correct. There will probably be clarification on the web site soon. I'm not sure if the local SO is up to speed yet so a call might be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by past60 View Post
    The governor signed the bills repealing the safety inspections last week. According to the NRA the law was to take effect immediately. According to MCGRO, the effective date was 180 days (written on their web site), but per a phone conversation with them, the 'immediate' date is correct. There will probably be clarification on the web site soon. I'm not sure if the local SO is up to speed yet so a call might be in order.
    Hey what? No kidding?

That's pretty stinkin' good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    Hey what? No kidding?

That's pretty stinkin' good news!
    Well, it's a little bit of good news. We still have to send (or your shop has to send) the FI-60 form to the state police, so registration is still alive and well. The "safety" (joke) inspections are gone, however, and I believe previous information is to be expunged (yea, right). Once we see the real story from MCGRO or some other source, we shouldn't need to keep the green cards. The MCGRO office, however, tells me we should carry our copy of the FI-60 form for 30 days after the purchase until the new system works its way into operation. Presumably that will be a temporary inconvenience.

where can i find information on the "safety check"?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJerm80 View Post
    where can i find information on the "safety check"?
    MCRGO's web site is www.mcrgo.org and they have posted more information this morning. Not being a lawyer, however, I am still confused about the effective date. The information states that the effective date is January 7, 2009, but when you read the referenced Public Acts 194, 195 and 196, each of them bears the same last line stating "This act is ordered to take immediate effect". When I talked to the person answering the phone - albeit not an official of MCRGO - the response is that she emailed the lawyer and his response is something to the effect that the date is 180 days from the 'last amendment'.

Maybe there is an attorney here who can offer some help in interpreting the language. In the meantime, I suppose the best thing to do is to take the pistol and the form to the sheriff and see if they have any more information or if they want to do another inspection.
    I would ask if they are expecting new forms (although I doubt they will have any information yet). Or you can just do what I think I'll do and just buy rifles for the next 6 months. I usually have as many of those on my wish list as I do pistols.
    Last edited by past60; July 21st, 2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: adding a little extra information

Quote Originally Posted by past60 View Post
    Well, it's a little bit of good news. We still have to send (or your shop has to send) the FI-60 form to the state police, so registration is still alive and well. The "safety" (joke) inspections are gone, however, and I believe previous information is to be expunged (yea, right). Once we see the real story from MCGRO or some other source, we shouldn't need to keep the green cards. The MCGRO office, however, tells me we should carry our copy of the FI-60 form for 30 days after the purchase until the new system works its way into operation. Presumably that will be a temporary inconvenience.
    The new law states we need to keep the green card on us with the pistol for the first 30 days.
    Michigan Eliminates it's so-called Pistol 'Safety' Inspection
    Commentary by Steve Dulan

The way we handle post-purchase paperwork for pistols will be changing. New legislation amending Public Act 372, co-sponsored by 4 members of the MCRGO Board of Directors (Representatives Sheltrown and Casperson and Senators Cropsey and Richardville) among others, was signed into law last week by the Governor. The new rules (paraphrased for clarity) are as follows:

The so-called "safety inspection" is eliminated. The seller of a pistol shall immediately record the sale on a 4-part (quadruplicate) form provided by the Department of State Police, which the purchaser shall sign. One copy is kept by the seller. One copy is kept by purchaser. Two copies are sent to the police department or county sheriff within 10 days. The forms can be hand-delivered or sent by first-class or certified mail (I recommend certified and hang onto your receipts.) Failure to comply with this rule is civil infraction punishable by a fine of $250 maximum. Violations will also be reported to the state police and the county gun board.

The police agency will forward one copy to the state police within 48 hours, and keep the other for at least 6 years. The state police will enter the information into the computer data base within 10 days of receiving it. The purchaser has a right to get a copy of the information that is entered to verify the accuracy of the information. The police or sheriff's department can charge a fee of $1.00 maximum for the copy. The purchaser has to keep his/her copy of the form while carrying or using the pistol for the first 30 days after purchase. After that time, the form need not be carried.

This law takes effect January 7th, 2009. Public Acts No. 194, 195, 196.

I've had the opportunity to hear and read many comments on this law, including during a recent visit to the Multi Lakes Conservation Club, where I was honored to be welcomed as a representative of MCRGO and hear questions and comments. Some of the comments expressed disappointment that we still have pistol registration. While it is true that this legislation, like most legislation, has gone through changes from the original proposed law, it is still a victory for gun owners. Even though we didn't get everything on our wish list, our friends in the legislature have managed to eliminate the ridiculous "safety inspection." Now, we don't have to make that trip down to the police station to hold the gun up to the bullet-proof glass for a clerk to copy down the serial number.

Keep in mind that there are legislators who are not at all supportive of gun rights and would just as soon increase our inconvenience and expense rather than make things better for gun owners. Politics in a representative democracy is the art of the possible. While this new law still requires registration, that has been a fact of life for a couple of generations in Michigan. At least we don't have to make that post-purchase trip to the police station anymore once this new law takes effect.

In fact, for those with a CPL (Concealed Pistol License), no trip to the police/sheriff's department is required. The seller simply records the CPL license information on the form and the new owner signs and submits the forms by mail. This is much more efficient and less time-consuming than the old system.

Those of us who think logically about this issue know that the central fallacy of all gun control law is the idea that criminals will obey gun control laws while ignoring other laws. However, we still have a long way to go in convincing our fellow citizens and arriving at a consensus on this issue. Since being elected to the MCRGO Board of Directors a few years back, I've had numerous discussions with gun owners about this simple truth. The best suggestion I have for all of us is to continue to engage gun control advocates in calm, reasoned debate. The truth is on our side of this argument. But, being correct is not sufficient. We have to sway our fellow citizens.

They key area of agreement on both sides of the gun control debate is the desire for safety. Some of our neighbors are lacking in experience with, and knowledge of guns. Why not invite a few anti-gunners to the range? Let them see how a well-run range is one of the safest places on Earth. Let them see that we gun owners are thoughtful, solid citizens. Give them the opportunity to realize that guns are useful in their lives for self-defense and recreation. If we want to further improve the legal and public policy system regarding guns, we need to win more hearts and minds so that our allies in the legislature can continue to push the law more into line with common sense.

In short, instead of complaining that the glass is still half empty, let's congratulate our legislators for successfully pouring a little more water into it even as some of their colleagues were attempting to jostle their collective elbow.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links