Do you all practice failure to stop drills?

This is a discussion on Do you all practice failure to stop drills? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once you start shooting don't stop to assess unless the BG has fallen down or is running away....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you all practice failure to stop drills?

TOF
    Once you start shooting don't stop to assess unless the BG has fallen down or is running away.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Once you start shooting don't stop to assess unless the BG has fallen down or is running away.
    +1 on that... however, at some point before you run out of bullets you may want to change what spot you are shooting at if they don't drop.

Don't just keep plugging COM if they don't stop right away!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I always aim center mass, but I'm not that good and send a high flyer ever third shot or so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A friend who has done three in Iraq and two in Afghanistan, and been involve in several firefights told me that it's two to CM and 1 to the head. If done right the BG is dead. But he may not know he is dead,. and may keep coming. At that point you fire at the hips. upper legs. Dead or alive if he has no bones to support his body, he "ain't coming at you anymore!

Do I practice this drill. Yes I do.

I practice it in a club that is part of the International Defensive Pistol Association. It is one of many we practice, and there is a real need to practice. I like the IDPA because you need no special firearms to participate and the drills are supposed to be "practicle" or possible scenarios. I recommend it.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I do practice this and do it fine on targets, but hope I never have to do it on a moving head.

Funny how in the movies they always fall back when hit in the vest, but in real life...not so much methinks!

Another tactic that might be useful is angling away or sidestepping an attacker, since most vests don't have side protection, it might be possible to out flank 'em. :-) I have given this some thought and practiced the movement, but don't know if it would realistically help. I guess it would be better than nothing. Hope I never have to find out.
    +1

I practice Mozambique a lot for IDPA.

Rob Pincus (Combat Focus - TM) teaches a 'step to the side' as you are drawing. I guessing that step s/b to the left if BG is r/handed and to the right if vise versa, to take advantage of the the attacker's possible tendency to jerk the trigger off the target line.

I think Rob is a member of this forum.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Yep, Ayoob and Pincus are both members... they drop in from time to time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I always aim center mass, but I'm not that good and send a high flyer ever third shot or so.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

TyC
    I call mine zip up drills since it's not exactly a mozambique tap. 2 high center of mass. 3 more shots going up the center line last one hitting just above where the eyebrows would be. You just zip 'em up the center line. I also say to myself 1,2 123 while I'm doing it. If I'm really in the mood to do body armor drills I'll zip them up then back down the low center of mass and double tap the pelvis.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    No. But it sounds like I should start.
    +1 I guess I better start also.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I practice a modified mozambique,which is 2 in the pelvis 1 in the head......thats what I have been using here in the middle east for the last 4 years......

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Can someone remind me of the difference between controlled pairs and a hammer?
    A controlled pair is two aimed shots in rapid succession. A hammer is two shots fired off of a single sight picture.

Yes I do. I'm a retired officer so my training included that drill. Since I was the instructor I put it in there:-)
    I still include that drill into each practice session. At times I will also use two "bad guy" targets and switch back and forth between the two. This is also a good practice drill since you never know for sure you will be faced by only one attacker.

I doesn't hurt to have a rifle close by. .30 or better.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I also practice failure drills....and what was taught to me as the "reverse failure drill": 2x COM, 2x hips/belt line, 1x head.

Reasoning: If the BG is not stopping/slowing down with 2x COM, shoot for the hips and stop forward progression/threat, followed by 1 (or more head shots).
    This sounds like a much better plan for most CC'ers. Head shots besides being very, very difficult in a SD situation can be very dangerous if you miss, better know what's behind you. I have always practiced double taps to COM and if that doesn't stop the threat I will probably go lower than higher. The target maintains basically the same width as you proceed under the belt line, where as a head shot is about 1/3 the width, not to mention if you miss on a crotch or hip shot the angle of the bullet will be downward and less likely to injure folks in the background. I realize a headshot will drop them in their tracks but how far would you run with a .40 cal piece of lead in Petey???? I will leave the head shots to Clint eastwood and Charles Bronson, now I am dating myself, lol!!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links