Do you all practice failure to stop drills?

This is a discussion on Do you all practice failure to stop drills? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back in March this year, Prince William Police and other local agencies did raids on high crime areas and hotels. They made twenty arrests, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back in March this year, Prince William Police and other local agencies did raids on high crime areas and hotels. They made twenty arrests, and confiscated a ton of contraband to include 3 ounces of cocaine, 3 pounds of pot, firearms, $12,000 and ballistic vests!

This was in the Manassas, VA area. I was naive to think that gangsters with AR's and armor were once-in-a-lifetime stories or movie plots.
    Now that I realize home-boy might be rollin' with a vest, I wanted to ask you all if you regularly practice the Mozambique drill (I don't), and if standard ammunition can defeat the average vest (I've got a 40, 180gr HST's).
    Do I need to start practicing like this? Scary to think I might need an AR in the trunk these days...

Administrator
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    No. But it sounds like I should start.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I do, all the time. While the level of vest is certainly the deciding factor in whether the round will penetrate, it is relatively safe to assume that ANY vest will significantly degrade ANY common SD pistol round.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Start in the crotch and work your way up.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Back in March this year, Prince William Police and other local agencies did raids on high crime areas and hotels. They made twenty arrests, and confiscated a ton of contraband to include 3 ounces of cocaine, 3 pounds of pot, firearms, $12,000 and ballistic vests!

This was in the Manassas, VA area. I was naive to think that gangsters with AR's and armor were once-in-a-lifetime stories or movie plots.
    Now that I realize home-boy might be rollin' with a vest, I wanted to ask you all if you regularly practice the Mozambique drill (I don't), and if standard ammunition can defeat the average vest (I've got a 40, 180gr HST's).
    Do I need to start practicing like this? Scary to think I might need an AR in the trunk these days...
    Check out this Wikipedia link: The link to the FBI firefight is pretty compelling evidence. Shoot to render the brain nonfunctional and use a bigger gun!

I'm thinking I should be practicing the drill, it might be a lifesaver!

titleist, thanks for the heads up.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

I do some Mozambique drill with all of my practice. Have done for several years.

Mozambique drills are great and I practice them also, but let's get real. Know your limitations, because a head shot is not an easy shot to make. Static range on paper is easy. Getting a good shot into the Cranio Ocular cavity of a dancing chicken of a head is rather difficult.

It's a guitar gun, shoot...

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

OK, I'm a bozo, somebody explain the "Mozambique drill" aka "failure to stop" drill.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    OK, I'm a bozo, somebody explain the "Mozambique drill" aka "failure to stop" drill.
    Two to the body, center mass, then one to the head
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Practice regularly in "failure to stops!" Train with LEO's for a lot of my range time as well.

OPFOR is correct in stating that regardless of threat level of vest, most any vest will stop or degrade any SD round. Especially hollow points! Hollow points are the easiest rounds for vests to stop.... That's part of the reason that the Black Talon controversy was such a bogus claim. The coating applied to the Black Talon rounds was applied only to aid in feeding rounds into the chamber... It was still a hollow point round and thus they were still easily defeated by most any body armor.

At least according to the Point Blank armor rep that lectured at my tactical medic class.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I do practice this and do it fine on targets, but hope I never have to do it on a moving head.

Funny how in the movies they always fall back when hit in the vest, but in real life...not so much methinks!

Another tactic that might be useful is angling away or sidestepping an attacker, since most vests don't have side protection, it might be possible to out flank 'em. :-) I have given this some thought and practiced the movement, but don't know if it would realistically help. I guess it would be better than nothing. Hope I never have to find out.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Conventional teaching these days says Plan A is two fire TWO rounds at the chest, THEN assess the situation. If the threat has not ceased, you have "failed to stop", and the next round should be placed somewhere between the tip of the nose and the eyes. "Two to the chest, one to the head".

I personally need to start practicing this more frequently, as my reflex is probably to only shoot once before checking the situation. Can someone remind me of the difference between controlled pairs and a hammer?

I practice different scenarios,we have one called bad breath close,target is right in front of you and you strike target in face with weak hand while drawing from retention,you bring weak hand over head after strike to clear line of fire and as gun clears holst from waist put 2 shots into target then step back as you bring gun up and go to 2 hand hold firing 2 more COM then put 1 in the head
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I also practice failure drills....and what was taught to me as the "reverse failure drill": 2x COM, 2x hips/belt line, 1x head.

Reasoning: If the BG is not stopping/slowing down with 2x COM, shoot for the hips and stop forward progression/threat, followed by 1 (or more head shots).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links