Legal to carry others gun?

This is a discussion on Legal to carry others gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NCHornet I simply don't understand states that don't require some type of education before receiving a permit to carry a handgun. It ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Legal to carry others gun?

VIP Member

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I simply don't understand states that don't require some type of education before receiving a permit to carry a handgun. It is very important that you understand the laws of your state and assuming the individual will educate themselves is simply crazy. Please get a copy of the laws, learn them and I suggest carrying a copy with you in your vehicle.
    Take Care

NCH

Agree. My brother in-law got his permit simply by having a nice chat with the local sheriff. I doubt he ever educated himself on things like lawful use for self defense, reciprocity, off limit places etc.

Lots of folks don't like the training requirement for a license because of the theoretical (and perhaps real) Constitutional issues. But as a practical matter, we all need to be responsible. And that means learning the laws.

Best way is to take a class. Second best way is to take a class.
    Third best way is to visit here, then take a class. Fourth, take a class and participate here.

(In no particular order or preference ---take a class.)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by badmojo View Post
    From the MSP website:
    Is it okay if I loan my pistol to a friend?

MCL 28.432 An individual can carry, possess, use or transport a pistol belonging to another individual, if the pistol is properly licensed and inspected under the Act, and the individual carrying, possessing, using or transporting the pistol has obtained a license to carry a pistol concealed permit from Michigan.

source: Michigan Legislature

Only the person carrying the pistol needs a CPL.

Thanks for the clarification. I was going by what my CCW instructor had just told me. You've got the official word, which is far better.

Thanks again!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    That's true. You (legally, not practically) can't even use someone else's at the range to try it out!
    I'd move. That's just not right that the folks in NY & NJ have their guns rights taken away. I sure don't know how they get by with that.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    Not in MI, unless you both have CCW's.

What's the PA law say?
    I don't think that is correct. My understanding is that only the owner of the gun can carry the gun without a CPL, however any CPL holder can carry anybody else's gun whether they have a CPL or not.
    Could you provide a link to any statue that says otherwise?

Opps, I should have read all the post. Yeah that was the way I understood it CPL holders can borrow guns from other people but not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryV View Post
    And as many of them as you want at once!
    Same here in Michigan except I have heard that there is a down state DA that likes to try and limit the CPL (Concealed Pistol License)to one gun since according to him it doesn't say CPsL (Concealed Pistol(s) License. Good thing he hasn't figured out it also doesn't say anything about revolvers. I actually do wish we had a CCW because then I wouldn't have to open carry my folding knife. Michigan knife laws are not as well thought out as the gun laws. We have state exemption for gun laws but not for knife laws so cities can make whatever knife laws they want.

In Oklahoma you qualify with either a derringer, revolver, or automatic. If you qualify with the automatic you can carry any of them. With the others only the other. Most instructors will loan you an auto so that you can carry whatever.

In TN, absolutely. A long time ago they had the rotten permit system where the gun you shot to get licensed was the only gun you were allowed to carry.

Thats not been the law for well over a decade now, HERE. MOST States did away with that when they went to a "Shall issue" system.

In Texas if you have your CHL it does not matter what or whose gun or guns you carry as long as it is concealed.
    sanfordreed likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

GH
    Wisconsin handles CCL people knowing the laws by including a copy of all CC laws with the license applications. that sheet has to be signed & included when you mail it in. That way they can get around the fact that some of us don't have to take the mandatory CC class due to Military Veteran or other status. There's no excuse from not knowing the law then.

We can carry any legal firearm or weapon without proof of ownership. We have no firearms registration here. I've carried my buddy's revolver my son's (my former) Glock 23 & 21 & of course my own handguns completely legally. In my view that's the way it should be.

My son, a cop, on the other hand must register any gun he wants to carry off duty other than his issued firearm with the PD.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonthelake View Post
    In Oklahoma you qualify with either a derringer, revolver, or automatic. If you qualify with the automatic you can carry any of them. With the others only the other. Most instructors will loan you an auto so that you can carry whatever.
    You can qualify with AUTOMATICS (machine guns) in OK? Or, do you mean SEMI-automatics?

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    The kind of law that says you can only use what's on your lic. is the dumbest thing in my opinion because in a emergency I would not like to look to make sure I can legally defend myself or family. IMO that puts a undue restriction on ones rights but again that's just me, just a minute I don't think my new gun is on my lic. let me check. Kinda like let me run to the other lock box to get ammo to load gun

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    If i remember correctly,in S.C. when they 1st started the CCP program,you had to carry what you qualified with.I'm glad they changed that.A friend of mine gives the CCP class and has a couple of 22's,he will let you use for the qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    You can qualify with AUTOMATICS (machine guns) in OK? Or, do you mean SEMI-automatics?
    The term "automatic" simply refers to the loading system - an "automatic" means "auto-loading". You can call a semi-auto an "auto" and still be correct.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post
    Is it legal for me to carry my dads gun. (yes I have a permit)
    In Pa, it is legal to lend a firearm. You can carry your dad's, or anyone else's. There are a number of PA statutes regarding the carrying of firearms and you can find them here:
    Statutes: Relevant Statutes for Pennsylvania Firearm Owners

Quote Originally Posted by rksap View Post
    In Pa, it is legal to lend a firearm. You can carry your dad's, or anyone else's. There are a number of PA statutes regarding the carrying of firearms and you can find them here:
    Statutes: Relevant Statutes for Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
    Yeah, but I believe the recipient must have a LTCF if it is not lent to them by a family member.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links