Will you go back for your cell phone if you forget it?

This is a discussion on Will you go back for your cell phone if you forget it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has happened to me several times. Probably because of old age. My cell phone only takes an hour or so to fully charge. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

This has happened to me several times. Probably because of old age.

My cell phone only takes an hour or so to fully charge. I will usually do it in the morning after I wake up as I use my phone for a backup alarm and in case I need it during the middle of the night.

So after I wake up, I will plug my phone in to the charger, do my morning routine and leave. I won't go into the details how, but on occasion I forget to put my cell phone in my holster. I don't usually notice it until after I am near my initial destination.

I know that a cell phone is almost like your gun. Something you do not want to be without. So if you find that you forgot your cell phone, will you go home to get it before you proceed with the rest of your day?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Yes I will and have. With my 2 granddaughters living with use I need it.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Sometimes I do and sometimes no but it depends how far i'm going,I'm disabled and my phone can be a lifeline if I get broke down somewhere,also if I am injured in an accident I don't have family close by but they can call numbers in my phone until they get hold of friends or family
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have not forgotten my phone in a long time. It's part of my every day equipment.

Before I leave the house in order to "get my head in the game," I do a quick equipment check for Guns (2); Reloads (2-4); Knives (1-2); Flashlight (1-2); Cell Phone (1)

The last time I forgot it, I had it on me and had already done my equipment check... then for some reason I wanted to give it a quick charge because I wasn't going to leave for another half hour so I placed it on the charger in bedroom. When I left, I forgot to pick it up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Looks like I am the odd man out again, gee what a surprise,. I will leave my cell phone home on purpose sometimes. If I am running an errand close to home. If I leave for work and it is not with me I will not go back for it. I know all the arguments of why should have it but every now and than it is great not to be bothered by calls or messages. However If I am traveling out of the area I will always make sure it is with me.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    Looks like I am the odd man out again, gee what a surprise,. I will leave my cell phone home on purpose sometimes. If I am running an errand close to home. If I leave for work and it is not with me I will not go back for it. I know all the arguments of why should have it but every now and than it is great not to be bothered by calls or messages. However If I am traveling out of the area I will always make sure it is with me.
    Mike
    Keep it with you - turn it off. Now you've got it for emergencies, and no one can bother you. This is what I do, as I really can't stand cell phones but feel I need one any time I am carrying a weapon.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

AH
    The day you really need it,is for sure the day you left it at home. I have been stressed out a few times when leaving home- without the cell phone and sure enough..during the time before I get to go back and pick it up,I do have the need for it..

VIP Member
    I haven't forgotten mine in a LONG time. My wife forgets her's sometimes though. I've tried to help her remind herself by encouraging her to lump cell phone and keys together. If you leave with your keys, you leave with your cell phone also.

cell phone = keys

In a related matter don't forget this part either: Let's say I'm in town running errands, and my wife is in town running errands, we're in separate cars, and she has car trouble so she tries to call me by cell phone. However I had been to a meeting and had my cell phone on silent and forgot to put it back on ring. Forgetting to toggle my phone back I'm jeopardizing my wife's safety by not being able to answer.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Yes. My axiom is: you carry a gun, you carry a phone. If in the unlikely (but NOT impossible) event that you need to call 911 after defending yourself (or even show your weapon--i.e. draw, NOT brandish), you will be able to immediately call the authorities.

Remember: the first one to call is the victim.

If you try to borrow someone's cell--what is to prevent them from saying you forced them to give you their cell phone (armed robbery? assault?).

It is just a good idea...you carry because BGs don't announce themselves ahead of time. Similar idea: emergencies are not planned. If you don't want to be bothered, have the ringer set to silent (i.e. no buzzing or tones), but you have the phone readily available if you need to call.

Just my 2 cents.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Good question. I periodically forget 1 of the 2 cell phones I carry (1 work, 1 personal) on Monday morning since I charge them on Sundays. Then I just call a few relevant people like my boss, coworkers, and family and let them know which one I have on me.

But if I had only 1 and forgot it? If I was fairly close, I'd return and get it. If I was going on a long drive for work, I'd let my family know the phone number of someone I was driving with. If I was driving alone on a day-trip the other direction from my home? The right choice for me would be to go home and get it... hope I'm not faced with that choice when I'm in a hurry because I'll be tempted to not return for the phone.

I do see the importance of having a phone always, mostly for my family but also if I need to call the police for some matter.

I have forgotten it, I have gone back to retrieve it.....sometimes.
    Sometimes not. I don't rely on it nearly as much as, say, my teenaged daughters do. Like others have said, It's part of my everyday load-out so it's not 'forgotten' too often.

I've left it on purpose though...........
    Sometimes I just like the quiet, much to my wife's and bosses displeasure.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    The only time I go back for a cell phone is if it is a work day, then the phone I carry is a company phone. If I go out and have forgotten my cell phone I don't worry about it. I hardly use it, so no big deal. Wife and I have a 400 minute share plan and on a busy month might use 300 minutes. If it weren't for my sons and dad living in Indiana, I probably wouldn't even own one!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Cell Phone

I have gone back. If I realize I left the durn thing behind and I am far from home I just fume and kick myself. I CCW and really consider the cell phone to be a very important part of my armament. If I ever had to use my pistol, to save my life or a loved one, I want to be the first phone call to 911.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    My business depends on my answering the phone "live" . . . almost all customers will give the business to the first live person they talk with, otherwise they continue calling down the list.

If I'm nearby, yes I will return for it. If too far out, I won't. It's only happened a handful of times.

I charge my phone on my desk and since the computer is the last thing I turn off before leaving, it's hard to miss. The rest of the time, my phone is on my belt FT. I usually only charge it 1x/week and make a habit of that on Monday evenings. I also buy a spare battery and carry it in my back pocket and there is a car charger in each car for the "unexpected".

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sometimes I do and sometimes no but it depends how far i'm going
    Same here. If I'm 15 minutes into a 20 minute one way trip, it doesn't really make sense.

If I'm 1 hour into an 8 hour trip, it does make sense. (to me.)

In other circumstances, it will depend on where I'm going or what sort of business I'm taking care of. I don't foget it often. When I do, and decide not to go back, I don't sweat it since sweating it ain't gonna help any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links