As A Military Police Officer Why.....

This is a discussion on As A Military Police Officer Why..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by celticredneck He went down to the clerks office today, three times. Everyone he talked with was rude, and refused to listen to ...

View Poll Results: Do You Think?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better Gun Laws?

    10 18.87%
  • Better Training For Civilians Who Wish To Carry?

    41 77.36%
  • No CCW?

    1 1.89%
  • I Don't Know What To Do?

    2 3.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: As A Military Police Officer Why.....

  1. #46
    New Member Array mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    He went down to the clerks office today, three times. Everyone he talked with was rude, and refused to listen to him, saying only that he had to talk with the clerk of the court, who would be in at 12 noon. My son waited until around 2PM and went back. The lady who talked with him that time said' "the clerk is at lunch, come back at 3:30. My son showed her a copy of the state police statement, concerning,"if you have not received your permit in 45 days" which I posted in my original post, and she informed him that it wasn't correct and not the way Petersburg handled it. When my son asked for her name, she refused to give it and said he had to see the clerk. He came back at 3:30 and talked with the clerk, that they had just gotten his background check back, and the 45 days started today. Not only that, but even if the application was to serve as a "defacto permit" it had to be signed by the judge, not the clerk, as is clearly stated on the Va State Police website. As of now, the VCDL has gotten involved and is planning on contacting the Chief Justice of the VA supreme court. When told about this, The clerk of the court told my son to go ahead and contact the chief justice, because he was a friend. Mods, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, I started this because the MP's situation sounded similar, and I wondered if Petersburg was involved. If possible, it would be better served if you could move it. Thank you.
    no worries, and you are correct it says on the state police web site about the application being good after 45 days i remember reading that myself. The crap about being a friend lmao that's great, see shows the good ol boys club still exist he's rite no matter what the law says, we call that world of mouth law lol, i don't know what to tell you other then i would file a formal complaint even tho it probably will go no where, other then that bring it to channel 12 NBC they seem to love sticking there nose in that kinda stuff, and it would be a great story seeing gun laws are hot topic these days. Call them see what happens all i can say, and no i don't live in Petersburg im about an hour outside of there, rather not disclose location.


    This post is not just for me lol yea i created it but say what you want... i don't care.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    VIP Member Array packinnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    4,249
    Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    He went down to the clerks office today, three times. Everyone he talked with was rude, and refused to listen to him, saying only that he had to talk with the clerk of the court, who would be in at 12 noon. My son waited until around 2PM and went back. The lady who talked with him that time said' "the clerk is at lunch, come back at 3:30. My son showed her a copy of the state police statement, concerning,"if you have not received your permit in 45 days" which I posted in my original post, and she informed him that it wasn't correct and not the way Petersburg handled it. When my son asked for her name, she refused to give it and said he had to see the clerk. He came back at 3:30 and talked with the clerk, that they had just gotten his background check back, and the 45 days started today. Not only that, but even if the application was to serve as a "defacto permit" it had to be signed by the judge, not the clerk, as is clearly stated on the Va State Police website. As of now, the VCDL has gotten involved and is planning on contacting the Chief Justice of the VA supreme court. When told about this, The clerk of the court told my son to go ahead and contact the chief justice, because he was a friend. Mods, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, I started this because the MP's situation sounded similar, and I wondered if Petersburg was involved. If possible, it would be better served if you could move it. Thank you.
    That's Great news. I mean, bad that he's going through all that, but good that you've got the right people involved that ARE UP TO THE CHALLENGE. Keep us up to date. Us Virginians stick together...you know...that "good ol boys club".

    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    no worries, and you are correct it says on the state police web site about the application being good after 45 days i remember reading that myself. The crap about being a friend lmao that's great, see shows the good ol boys club still exist he's rite no matter what the law says, we call that world of mouth law lol, i don't know what to tell you other then i would file a formal complaint even tho it probably will go no where, other then that bring it to channel 12 NBC they seem to love sticking there nose in that kinda stuff, and it would be a great story seeing gun laws are hot topic these days. Call them see what happens all i can say, and no i don't live in Petersburg im about an hour outside of there, rather not disclose location.


    This post is not just for me lol yea i created it but say what you want... i don't care.
    What's your status? Have you been able to get any of your issues resolved or have you had to ask VCDL for help? This "good ol boys club" works both sides of the line in VA. We take care of our fellow man around here. Chances are...if you're having problems so are others and it needs to be addressed. Ask VCDL for help if you don't feel like you're getting anywhere...and sign up as a member while you're at it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

    "Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

  4. #48
    New Member Array builtjeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Petersburg, va
    Posts
    8
    I'm Celticredneck's son, I've got a pretty extensive thread regarding my situation going on over at OCDO.

    Basically the Clerk's guidelines for application violate state law. Their process is flawed and illegal, and he's not willing to budge. VCDL are currently involved and I'm doing everything I can to force him into compliance. Read the linked thread above for the details.

    Mike

  5. #49
    Member Array KG4ZRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    on the way to PRK
    Posts
    305
    Let me answer a few of your concerns...

    1. Your BX/PX (and other activities) are not immune from robberies just because they are on a military installation. When only seconds count... The SF are hours away...

    2. You think because you are a MP/SF you are qualified with a weapon? I wonder what that SF resting with his wrist over the barrel of his weapon is also so trained? If an ND happened, it would have gone right through his wrist. Happened on Keesler, right after Katrina. I also asked politely that another SF (also supposedly trained) to put his rifle that he was swinging around on SAFE for the better good of us all.

    Not trying to be nasty, just pointing out that just because you are SF/MP does not mean you are properly trained and should just be exempt just because of your job.

  6. #50
    New Member Array mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11
    I understand your are not trying to be nasty, if your comments about SF your are talking about Special Forcer's i am and choose never to be a SF operator, and whatever they do is on them, if they choose to disregard there training that is on them, if a soldier chooses not to use his training then that is on them, you would be surprised to learn how many ND there really are in the military. In reality some soldiers never touch a weapon in less there training or at a range.

    The PX comment is just a statement of my personal feelings i think it would be kind of dumb to do it in regards to the fact that your are stealing soldiers money.

    It's my feeling once you are put in mortal danger just because of you're job the money seems a little more important. I may be the only person that thinks this way, but in reality im not alone

    As an MP in a garrison unit my sole job is to respond to most of the same situations a regular road officer responds to, a LEO responds to domestic disputes, traffic incidents and many other law violations. I am as an MP in the same danger there in if not more since most of the time the situations i respond to are with people who are trained Do i think i am better then them? NO and i will never be or do i think i will ever be i respect the LEO more than any other profession because who eals is gona stop somebody on a high way and run the risk of getting hit on the side of the road or walking up to a car in the middle of the night and getting shot. That is a profession people should respect.

    As an MP i am very well trained with a firearm since i do spend allot of time around the general public, Civilians that work on post, or that are just visiting post, most people are unaware of how easy it is to get onto a military post with a weapon, yes everyday the civilian contractors who work at the main gate check the vehicle's, in my opinion some of them don't do there job to 100% but that is not for this post.

    If someone feels they have a problem with the way i think then that is you're feelings i am not going to hold it against you for feeling the way you do, everyone has there own opinion.

    For the record i do not feel my training should except me from any laws that give us our freedoms, which by the way um my job requires me to protect some of those freedoms WITH MY LIFE i may add, i am sorry if you feel that some of the things i have to say are a little one sided.

    I mean some people feel a MP should not carry a firearm on duty, well what should happen if someone just goes crazy on a military post and starts shooting people, should we wait for the local LEO to show up to handle the situation or better yet should we wait for the FBI since the post is Federal property, it would take them at least an hour to actually respond, and the local LEO have no authority there.

    Back to the main point of this post, about actually getting my CCW, I am going to go threw the process everyone has to do. Because at the end of the day when i take off my uniform i am just like the average person, and i will be sure to bring my ID and my Weapons Qualification cards and my training cards and my DD214 and any other document i have to bring, since in reality im used to jumping threw hops.



    Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments they are as much respected as i hope mine are. Even if sometimes there not always the best advice, or thoughts.

  7. #51
    New Member Array mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    Not trying to be nasty, just pointing out that just because you are SF/MP does not mean you are properly trained and should just be exempt just because of your job.
    What training do you think exempts you to anything dealing with weapons if i have learned anything about weapons you can never have enough training i am not refusing to go to a CCW training class but when i was told by the sheriffs deputy who looked at my CCW application and told me i would have to take the class i asked her a few questions about the class, like do i have to bring my firearm, how long is it. I was told no there is no need for you firearm, and the class is only 30 mins long, i wanted to ask her so bad what can they possibly teach me in 30 mins about firearms. I had to remind myself not to be rude to her. I know you probably feel the same way i do. That no training is enough, that is fine but do you think that the CCW class is anything near what i have been threw?

    I am not gonna question your training. If you have been threw the training i have been threw, then i can see you saying what you say, if not then you have no idea how i am trained or what i am trained in and i feel this is obvious with you talking about me being in SF i am not trying to be nasty as neither are you and i realize that, but please have a little more respect for the fact that i am even trained a little bit. Because an unsafe gun owner is a very bad idea.

    Again please don't feel i am trying to be rude or nasty because i am just saying how i feel just as you are.

  8. #52
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    Man, I hate to do this, but after 6 pages....

    threw - the past tense of the verb to throw; "the quarterback threw the ball to the receiver."

    through - what you mean when you say "threw"
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  9. #53
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,066
    ...and puncuation.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  10. #54
    Member Array celticredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Amelia Virginia
    Posts
    383
    I found, when I took my CCW course, that it was only a basic NRA handgun safety course. I discovered later, that I already had everything I needed before my application. I had taken(although it wasn't required because of my age and 45+ years of hunting experience) the Va hunter safety course. I aced the test too. I am also a Navy vereran and my DD214 would have also been sufficient, although I'm not that comfortable with Navy firearms training. That involved firing around 25 shots in various positions with a .22 cal rifle. My handgun experience started around 16 years old with the local Jr rifle club. I learned to shoot the Colt 1911 there, and I wasn't allowed to touch the weapon until I had extensive instruction in safe handling. My best training was a Community College course in shooting and firearms safety. This involved handling and shooting all types of firearms and was an entire quarter of twice weekly classes.. However, I don't think that that would meet Va's requirements because it isn't listed as an approved course. I am not an army vet, but I would guess that Mattw has had a heck of a lot more training than Va currently requires. I might step on some toes here, but personally, I feel that all carry classes should involve safe handling and shooting of all types of handguns.

  11. #55
    VIP Member Array Cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    Why are we still bantering about this. The man asked what was needed and now he knows. No class required for him whether everyone agrees or not.

    Opinion s fine, but the law is the law. Remember, there are about a gazillion liberals and even moderates out there that think you should have a 4week course, and an 8 hour refresher every month before even being allowed to have a gun locked up and disassembled in you home.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

    Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

  12. #56
    Member Array KG4ZRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    on the way to PRK
    Posts
    305
    SF = Security Forces... They are no longer called the Security Police (SP) on AF installations...

    The PX/BX comment, I understand you completely, but unfortunately, the majority of todays newer recruits (and some of many years in the case of the base commander here) do not care if AAFES gives back to the MWR fund.

    I have already thought of many ways to get a gun on base. Why? To point out some of the stupidity going on... Or the stupidity in some of their procedures. You are correct, it is quite scary how easy it would be...

    And you could be extensively trained as a MP... Don't get me wrong here. And you could take extra classes on the civiliian side because you want to expand your knowledge of the guns you use or just get more profficient for your job...

    But from what I have witnessed here, and on other installations... THAT would put you in the minority for most MP/SF don't do as such. They do their job, wear the weapon because they have to, and go home at the end of the day.

    I assume that you are Army considering the mentioning of MP all the time... Maybe they train their MP's better than the SF of the Air Force get trained? Don't know. I go on what I have seen and experienced of both branches with my own eyes. If it was just at this installation, it would be one thing. But it being here, Leavenworth, Grand Forks, Keesler... Shows a little bit of a trend on the training.

    So my apologies if you go above and beyond on your training, or even take the military training to heart (not apologizing for you taking the training, but rather for lumping you into the majority that just don't care about it).

    Most, if not all, of the SF/MP's I know, I wouldn't want to carry a gun when they are off duty. They shoot during qualifications and that is it! Some of them make it a point to let other's know... I never did understand why though, it isn't something I would want known if the SHTF.

    This, to me, would not qualify them to be a CCW holder...

    But to be fair, I know a few civilian cops this way too.

  13. #57
    New Member Array mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11
    lol i know a few cops like that also.


    As someone already posted, i asked a question i got my answer, all these extra comments, about my spelling or how i use a word, if i wanted to be corrected on everything i say i would have found a spelling forum no offense but i asked a question about ccw, not how to be better at punctuation.

    Thank you for your comments again it's time to move on from this post.

  14. #58
    New Member Array mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11
    Can someone close this post please, i think this has gone on long enough i have gotten my answer thanks.



    Mattw

  15. #59
    1943 - 2009
    Array Captain Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    10,371
    Done.^



    When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

    Rudyard Kipling


    Terry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Military Police Training?
    By mr.stuart in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM
  2. Ottawa Police Officer Murdered By Former RCMP Officer.
    By GunnyBunny in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
  4. NH police officer's gun discharges, bullet hits 2nd officer
    By paramedic70002 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
  5. S&W Military & Police
    By pistola in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Search tags for this page

are military members stationed in virginia required to take a ccw class?
,
can military police carry a gun off duty
,
concealed carry and military police
,
do military police need ccw in va
,

military police ccw

,

military police concealed carry

,
military police officer average day
,
military police training qualify for concealed carry
,
police officer carry forum
,

rcmp service pistol

,
using your military id or cac to carry hand gun in georgia
,
what rights do citizens have when counties will not enforce code laws in virginia
Click on a term to search for related topics.