Trip report

This is a discussion on Trip report within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took a trip through MO, KS, OK, TX, and NM to visit relatives in NM. I realize this post is way too long, but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip report

Trip report

Took a trip through MO, KS, OK, TX, and NM to visit relatives in NM. I realize this post is way too long, but I encountered a few ccw and gun issues on the trip that might be of some interest to those not easily bored.

Pretrip
    Researched and printed out relevant CCW info on all the states. Had it readily accessible as I was driving.

The drive
    Driving on the Kansas Turnpike, near Wichita, I encountered a Left Lane Idiot who was blocking traffic by driving slow in the passing lane. I sped up, cleared him, and entered the passing lane ahead of him. Apparently this infuriated him because he then sped up beside me and indicated with his middle finger his I.Q. of 1. He pulled ahead a bit still in the slow lane. I saw it was a company vehicle, so I called the company number on the side of the vehicle. Here is the conversation:

Her: “Hello, this is so-and-so Security, how may I help you?”
    Me: “Is it customary for your employees to flip people off?”
    Her: “Excuse me?”
    Me: “Is it customary for your employees to flip people off? I find that very rude.”
    Her: “Do you mean the driver on the turnpike?”
    Me: “Yes.”
    Her: “I’ll be sure and tell him.”
    Me: “Thank you.”

Now I don’t know if the driver was the owner or an employee. If he was an employee, I hope he got fired. Is that cruel? I don’t care. I was driving with my daughter and this idiot was nearing road rage with me over his refusal to be courteous to other drivers and possible him refusing to obey the law (not sure of KS law on slower vehicles being required to keep right).

So the idiot takes an off-ramp that parallels the highway for a long ways. I had the opportunity to pull up beside him and return his salute, or use my battering ram to cause him to perhaps soil his pants. I did neither. I just went on my way, not even looking at the idgit. At my moment of decision, I could hear some of you guys saying, “When you leave home with your ccw, leave your middle finger at home.” Perhaps in my younger days I would not have responded so calmly.

Shooting in the backyard
    Stepped out the back door of my uncle’s house and we began target shooting, first handguns and then later shooting skeet with shotguns. At one point we turn around and the town marshal or deputy is approaching us. We were just out of the city limits. He said they had reports of shots fired and he just wanted to check everything out. (I personally think it was shooting my hi-cap .45 auto that drew the attention.) He stated the law about being 300 feet or yards from someone else’s house, which we were. He said we were fine. After he left, we commenced shooting.

He was very polite. I guess I would be also if I came up on 6 guys, 3 with shotguns in hand. He never knew how many guns we (I) had with us. And no, I didn't reveal my status because he wasn't addressing me or asking for I.D., nor did I feel it was appropriate at the time. (Okay, I'd have to reread NM's statues to make an official determination on that.)

The officer was carrying a Glock and mentioned he liked revolvers. Since he was so friendly, I thought I’d have some fun with him so I said, “Well, since you like revolvers so much, your backup must be a revolver.” He smiled and said, “I’m not telling where I keep my backup. I’ve been around too long for that.”

Shooting my cousin’s g/f’s Glock 23
    Gotta love this girl. She’s a realtor and carries the Glock under her driver’s seat. I playfully chided her about the benefits of carrying on-body, but also acknowledged a gun in the truck is much better than one at home. Don’t know what brand of ammo she had in her G23, but it didn’t have as much kick as I expected. When I showed her my collection, she immediately fell in love with the Keltec P3AT. I told her about Ruger’s LCP.

"They're not getting my guns"
    After showing my cousin my guns, he took me back to his house and showed me his safe stuffed with unique rifles and a few pistols. He says the gov’t ain’t getting his guns. After talking to several people out West, I believe if the gov’t ever tries to collect all the guns, there will be blood in the streets… and they still won’t get the guns.

Wolves
    They are introducing wolves out there again. Read in the newspaper that penalties for killing a wolf can range up to $75,000. The locals say jail sentences are higher for killing a wolf than for killing a human. Made me think of the old saying, "Shoot, shovel, and shut up." Not saying I nor anyone did that, just that the thought occurred to me.

Road race
    Ran a 7K carrying my XD-45 and my SP-101 in a dual-holster SmartCarry. No one knew. I didn’t win a ribbon, but I finished without walking and I didn't die, so I guess I did win.

Visiting the relatives who don’t know I carry
    Visited other relatives in another state, the ones who don’t know I carry. Seven hours, lots of hugging… I did get cold feet at one point and transferred the OWB SP101 to the SmartCarry.

Home on the couch
    Wife touches my left side, contacts the .45 in a shoulder holster. She moves down my waist and contacts the TDI. She touches my front pants pocket on the same side and contacts the .38 I hadn’t told her about, hidden in K&D’s pocket holster with a panel. “What’s that?” Fortunately I was able to brush that off without revealing any secret info, though I suspect she knew what it was. She wants no part of guns, therefore I don’t brief her every time I buy a gun. She said I was a robot: metal all the way down my side. Haha, she never did find the .357 on the other hip.

The reason I was carrying 3 was that I was still dressed from the trip: carrying several because I haven’t bought a safe yet so I carried a lot with me, and because I had 2 low, plus 1 high for any carjackers. Gotsta have immediate access. Plus still experimenting with different backups and different positions. (If it hadn't been for that stupid ILS lock on the S&W .38, I might never have bought the SP-101... but I'm glad I bought the 101. It's built like a tank, and NO LOCK.)

Back home
    It was great to be in a place where guns are common and accepted by almost everyone. And to be able to step out my back door and shoot... man, I envy those of you who can do this.

That’s all. Home safe, no injuries, arrests, tickets, or accidental exposures. Back to the grind, and as usual, contemplating my next gun purchase… or seven.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a fun trip. I find it interesting what people do on trips.

I know it is always good to be back home.

Thanks for the travel log.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Me: “Thank you.”

I was driving with my daughter and this idiot was nearing road rage with me over his refusal to be courteous to other drivers and possible him refusing to obey the law (not sure of KS law on slower vehicles being required to keep right).
    Nothing makes me more mad than some idiot on the road acting careless when I have my kids in the car. But it never fails when your on a trip you are going to run into at least one. Sounds like you had an over all good time, but it is always nice to get back home!
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

Glad you had a great trip, and added some memories to boot. I use to live in So Cal before moving to a Free State!!!! I could never go back to tract home living. People just aren't meant to live that close together. I too can shoot right out my back door and do often. Haven't been to a public range in 12 years. I am on my last day of vacation and pulling the TT home today. Thanks to reciprocy I have been able to carry the entire time. Take care

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

In the past,I was very road rage=ish(especially if someone gave me the salute)..I am older,wiser and mellower now..plus like you said,whne CCW'ing,we need to avoid trouble.
    Shooting in the Yard:I used to shoot in my yard all the time.On 2 occasions someone called the local police.1st time,I flet bad for the guy..he tracked through like a foot of snow..only to see we were'nt bad guys and shooting safely.
    2nd time a youger cop appearded at the end of my driveway...I waved him over.A buddy and I had multiple handguns and a chrono set up.He came over and said one of the "new" neighbors called.I always call the people on either side and let them know I'm shooting,so I knew it wasn't them.He said they were "city people"(meaning NYC)..he said"I told them,you're not in the city any more,people are gonna shoot in their yard.....get used to it."Gotta love local cops.I also asked him if he wanted to shoot anything.He looked at his watch and said"I guess not,I'm on the clock."
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

VIP Member
    Grady-- Thanks for a great trip report. That was a nice read. Always enjoy your stuff.

Grady... did you pack the Travelocity Roaming Gnome for the trip? I love that little guy! Quote after he gets shocked plugging appliance in..."am I dead?"

Great travel log! I'm really glad you posted your experience. It was a fun read!

Glad you had a great vacation!

Yeah, those SP-101's are tanks! I got two of em! They're great!

Peace!

<---- Grady passing Road Rager on Kansas Turnpike!
    Last edited by Bark'n; July 20th, 2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added mooner icon
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Hey...that was more interesting than a "AAA Travel Update"...

Sounds like all went well.

Stay armed...especially on a trip...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Thanks for the report Grady! Glad everything worked out well. Too bad the local LEO didn't have more time or he probably would have started shooting with you guys! God I love small towns!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Ran into a guy like that a short while ago. Passed him and ticked him off for some unknowable reason. He sped up and passed me, changed into my lane and slammed on his brakes. Only thiing was, he was driving a little old Subaru and I a F250. I let the truck come up on him a little before hitting my brakes and all he could see was the radiator. He started swirving and promptly took the shoulder of the turnpike while I passed.
    Now he is really mad, so he catches me and is giving me all kinds of sign language while slowing in front of me.
    Here's is the best part, a lady in a Taho pulls up beside him, slams on the horn and basically tells him in no uncertain terms to get out of Dodge, with her owsn sign language. He takes the other shoulder after she crowds him and that's the last we see of him.
    I pull off at the truck stop and thank her and she leaves her tele # if I need a witness.
    I had to explaing to my wife about the tele #, but overall thought she was quite a lady.
    Road rage is getting to be a problem, and Kansas has it as bad as anyone. On there othere hand there are a lot of good people here. Never thought I would have a lady offer to help me out of a situation like that.
    Perhaps I should not have showed him my radiator, but couldn't resit it.
    Additionally, I was carrying, but there was no way that little Subaru was going to get me into a position where that might come out.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Road race
    Ran a 7K carrying my XD-45 and my SP-101 in a dual-holster SmartCarry. No one knew. I didn’t win a ribbon, but I finished without walking and I didn't die, so I guess I did win.

Visiting the relatives who don’t know I carry
    Visited other relatives in another state, the ones who don’t know I carry. Seven hours, lots of hugging… I did get cold feet at one point and transferred the OWB SP101 to the SmartCarry...........
    Nice report and I'm glad everything went o.k. for you. You don't really specify, but since you were going to NM to visit relatives, I'm making an assumption that the two events above, quoted from your post, took place in NM. If they did, I hope you were aware of this part of NM's CCW law:
    A. Carrying only handguns listed on license. No person shall carry a concealed handgun of a different category or higher caliber than is indicated on the license issued to that person by the department. A licensee shall only carry one (1) concealed handgun at any given time.
    I know that MO doesn't list a specific firearm on your license, so that part wouldn't apply, but the 1 gun limit would.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Hoss... IIRC.. MO doesn't limit you to only one gun!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Hoss... IIRC.. MO doesn't limit you to only one gun!
    Yup, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I meant that since MO doesn't list a specific gun on your license, that while in NM, that part of NM law probably couldn't apply but regardless of the fact that MO doesn't limit you to one gun at a time, while in NM, the NM law would definitely apply to you while carrying on your MO license in NM.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Nice report and I'm glad everything went o.k. for you. You don't really specify, but since you were going to NM to visit relatives, I'm making an assumption that the two events above, quoted from your post, took place in NM.
    I wasn't clear on that. The two events did not take place in NM.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If they did, I hope you were aware of this part of NM's CCW law:

I know that MO doesn't list a specific firearm on your license, so that part wouldn't apply, but the 1 gun limit would.

Hoss
    Hoss, thanks for the info. I had read the NM 1-gun limit last year, but while researching for this trip, I couldn't find that limit anywhere. I searched and searched, and ultimately decided perhaps it had been rescinded. Do you have a link for that? I don't doubt you, but if it is still the law, I'd like to know where it can be found. I'll most certainly visit NM again at some point, and I'd like a link to the most current laws. I think I looked at NM's attorney general's page.

BTW, I think a 1-gun limit is a really stupid law. I'm sure the criminals abide by that also.

Thanks Bark'n for the info on MO's gun law.

Thanks to all others for your positive comments. I was hoping some might enjoy at least parts of the trip report.

Grady,
    For doing travel research, as far as reciprocity, I like the Multi-State Permit Generator map available at USACarry. I like it because it knows (by you selecting it first) what your home state is and doesn't indicate that you can carry in a state you really can't. For actually written laws, I like HandGunLaw. Go to their site, click on "All US CCW Links". Then click on NM on the map. That will take you to NM's actual site. Partway down the page, you'll see some links. Click on "Carrying Concealed Handguns - Rules". This will open up a PDF file and on page 5 of that document, you will find the material I quoted.

Hopes that help.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links