Transporting firearms in a truck cab.

This is a discussion on Transporting firearms in a truck cab. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long story short we are moving from Ft. Belvoir, Virginia to Ft. Lee, Virginia. The packers/movers will be here tomorrow. I want to transport my ...

Long story short we are moving from Ft. Belvoir, Virginia to Ft. Lee, Virginia. The packers/movers will be here tomorrow. I want to transport my firearms separately (avoids tons of paperwork from the moving company).

My question pertains to the transport of the firearms in my dad's truck. I will likely be driving it down (and I have a CHP). However, at some point my dad may be operating the vehicle. If the guns are unloaded and locked away in their cases behind the seats (read: not easily accessible) could there be an issue if he gets pulled over? (He does not have a CHP (yet ;)).

Virginia Law 18.2-308 states:
    18.2-308 - Prohibits the carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or any weapon of like kind by any person hidden from common observance about his person. Any of the enumerated weapons shall be seized and forfeited to the Commonwealth. A weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
    However, in the pamphlet provided by the VA State Police it also states (directly under that section ^^) that:
    Based on the statute and decisions rendered by the Supreme Court, a weapon is considered to be concealed at any time it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when the weapon is hidden from common observation.

My interpretation of that says that: If its locked away and not within reach then my dad should be A-OK if he is pulled over.

Am I wrong?

I've always been told by VA police that if the gun is locked and unloaded then it is not considered accessible (multiple overt acts are necessary). Additionally, if YOU are in the vehicle it's not an issue.

Federal Transportation of Firearms

There is a Federal Transportation of Firearms law that over rides local law. The Federal Transportation of Firearms law is good in all 50 states. But do not make stops in anti-gun states. Drive straight through these states. New York, New Jersey and Illinois. Guns unaccesiable as possiable. If the guns are cased and unloaded. The ammo is cased and seperate. Any magazines should be empty and not stored with the guns. You will be good to go following these plans.

I agree witht he above, make sure they are all unloaded and no ammo in the same area and you should be fine.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    If I understand the scenario correctly, you are moving from one place in VA to another and you have a VA carry license. Is that correct?

Would it be possible for your gun(s) to be on your person the entire time?

I think that would effectively take any responsibility off your dad, and you would be well prepared.

Let's see-- how many handguns can get stuffed under one's clothing?

(Obviously this won't work if there are more than 2 or 3 handguns; or if VA does not allow you to carry more than one, which I think is the case in New Mexico.)

Wont you be in the truck too? Your CHP will cove them if you are in the truck too.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I may or may not be in the truck with my dad at all times.

BUUUUTTT

After I posted this thread I realized something else that actually screws up all of my plans.

We will be staying on a military installation for 3 days at the hotel during the moving process. The firearms rules for a military base are intricate and confusing and I may just have to allow the packers/movers to move my firearms afterall. :/ Which means I will be without any of my firearms until after the 15th of August.

I have a nice solid footlocker that I can lock them in. So they will be locked in their cases, in a small safe, ANND in a locked footlocker. I am debating whether or not I should let the movers know I have firearms at all...out of sight out of mind.

VIP Member
    Can you not check them in at the base armory? I know for people residing in the barracks they are required to store their privates weapons there. I realize it is a hassle, but at least they are accessible to you.Having spent 24 years active duty and several moves, I learned not to trust moving companys. Lost too many things that got on the truck but never got off!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I came up with a better idea. My sister and brother in law live in the area and they said they would hold on to them for me for the days that we would spend on post.

:)

Your last post is probably the best idea. I'm not military, but I do live in close proximity to Fort Lee(about 25 miles) and pass by the base quite often. I do know that, at least since 9/11, most if not all civilian vehicles entering the base are searched, so your guns would be found behind the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    Wont you be in the truck too? Your CHP will cove them if you are in the truck too.
    Do you really know that to be true?

For instance...

I'm driving a car, with my loaded handgun in/on the center console. My wife is in the passenger seat.

We're pulled over.

I have a permit for the handgun I can easily reach.

My wife can also easily reach a concealed handgun, and she has no permit to do so. I can call it mine all I want, but I could also call it mine if it were in her pocket.

So, I'm not convinced that a permit holder in a vehicle makes all occupants of said vehicle legal.

I'm not calling it right, but I don't want to make that argument from jail, either. Can you convince me, for Virginia or otherwise?

Links