Letter

Letter

This is a discussion on Letter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. Anyone ever wirte a letter to a company asking them to remove their anti carry or gun sign? I am thinking of writing a ...

Thread: Letter

Letter

Hello. Anyone ever wirte a letter to a company asking them to remove their anti carry or gun sign? I am thinking of writing a few but I am not very good writing this kind of thing. Anyone have something like a sample letter or something?

Thanks!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I have to do the same for a local Macy's store here in CO. My plan was to first acknowledge their right to set their policy. Then go on to say how much I spent at another shop across the street, that their sign only keeps away people who want to do the right thing and not criminals, that CCW doesn't scare the sheep, and that sheep don't look for signs to see if it's "safe" to shop there. Something short, sweet, and to the point.

I went shopping last Friday and had to pass up Macy's when it had a sign in their window at the store in Centerra.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I sent an e-mail to Caseys a convenience store chain. I sent it on a Wednesday and the signs came down the following Monday.

I don't recall what I said, but I suggest you first find out the reason they are posted. If it is a chain, it may be corporate policy and they may have no choice. You would then need to contact the corporate headquarters instead of the store manager.

here is one that is used on another forum..hope this helps

Dear Sir or Ma'am:

I was [shopping, visiting, patronizing, etc] your [name of business] located at [address of business]today and noticed that you have a sign prohibiting citizens from carrying a firearm on your store property. This concerns me for several reasons. First and foremost is that I'm a law abiding citizen I am licensed to carry a firearm by the state of Florida, Georgia, Nevada, and Utah. These states perform a background check to ensure that I am indeed a law abiding citizen and have no felony convictions, drug convictions and mental defects or disabilities. I have passed the criminal history background check for these states. My [state license that is valid in the particular state (NV, FL, etc.)] license is recognized by your state and allows me to carry a concealed firearm. I don't understand why your business prohibits licensed individuals from carrying a firearm. Statistics show that "gun free" zones often work in favor of criminals. You can imagine that as a law abiding citizen, I will comply with the law to the best of my ability. Criminals by definition do not follow laws and therefore could possibly consider your business and it's patrons as a possible target because of your policy. Most criminals will choose an "unarmed" victim over an "armed" one. I carry my firearm for personal protection and frequently practice at the shooting range so I'm competent in using my firearm should the need arise. I do my best to stay away from areas where there is a higher probability of running into criminals. For this reason, I humbly ask that you consider changing your policy and remove the signs if possible. I understand that this is America and businesses are free to operate as they see fit. I however don't feel safe doing business at an establishment where I may be at higher risk. Should your business remain a "gun free" establishment, I will be taking my business elsewhere and will be sure that I inform my acquaintances of the policy of your business establishment. There are many folks out there that share my concern, and may follow my lead in patronizing establishments that don't have "gun free" policy.

I thank you for taking the time to hear my concern. A written response will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to being a continued loyal customer.

Sincerely,

[your name here]
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    here is one that is used on another forum..hope this helps
    Ooh, I like. I'll have to save that for a place I spot that I want to shop at, most of the time I have no problem going elsewhere for my money's sake.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Thanks DrLewall. Thats just what I was looking for!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I have to do the same for a local Macy's store here in CO. My plan was to first acknowledge their right to set their policy. Then go on to say how much I spent at another shop across the street, that their sign only keeps away people who want to do the right thing and not criminals, that CCW doesn't scare the sheep, and that sheep don't look for signs to see if it's "safe" to shop there. Something short, sweet, and to the point.

I went shopping last Friday and had to pass up Macy's when it had a sign in their window at the store in Centerra.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Don't use "sheep" - although we use it in our "community", the meaning is not only lost on most, but often can be considered derogatory by those "not in the know"...

Howard
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    SC SLED Certified CWP Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hpj3 View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Don't use "sheep" - although we use it in our "community", the meaning is not only lost on most, but often can be considered derogatory by those "not in the know"...

Howard
    yea, that was the summerized version for your benefit only.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

1943 - 2009
    Whatever you do, make sure your letter is grammatically correct and free of spelling and punctuation errors. Be polite and factual, and don't use jargon, otherwise your letter will likely end up in the round file and unread.

DrLewall's example is good, but it should be separated into paragraphs.

Good luck!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

+1 Crunch man! Don't underestimate how important it is to have a grammatically correct letter. Proper form and format my friends... form and format!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I too give His Crunchness a +1. Remember that we need to show that we are the more educated of the sides.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Here is what I say to people like that:

First, I remind them that as long as they refuse me the right to protect myself, I will take my business elsewhere. Yes, my family can and will sue for liability damages and you will settle, but no amount of money replaces a 3 year old's father.

I find your sign offensive because you have essentially placed me in the same category as a common criminal, yet another reason for me to shop or eat elsewhere.

Finally, I have gone through rigorous testing and classroom instruction to be licensed to carry a concealed weapon, passed the same background check that a law enforcement officer is subjected to so that potentially one day I could save my life, or possibly yours as well should some predator choose your establishment as a target of opportuniy. At least I have the intestinal fortitude to make the effort to look after my own protection and the defense of my fellow man, unlike you who hide behind legalese and signs that carry empty promises.

I think that about says it all.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mp45fan View Post
    Hello. Anyone ever wirte a letter to a company asking them to remove their anti carry or gun sign? I am thinking of writing a few but I am not very good writing this kind of thing. Anyone have something like a sample letter or something?

Thanks!
    Is it a 30.06 sign? If not, I wouldn't even worry about it. What kind of business is it?

Sponsored Links