Positive LEO encounter Saturday

This is a discussion on Positive LEO encounter Saturday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First some background. Last week, my friend had a vehicle stolen off his property. He purchased this property last year and is in the process ...

Thread: Positive LEO encounter Saturday

Positive LEO encounter Saturday

First some background. Last week, my friend had a vehicle stolen off his property. He purchased this property last year and is in the process of clearing it, 25 ac, so he does not live on the property yet. Anyway he mentioned the theft to me during a conversation and described the vehicle: Old primered phone company truck with lift on it. Fast forward to Saturday. My sons and I were returning from work day at our hunting camp. I am about 10 miles from home, and I see a truck matching the description parked behind a convience store. I pull up behind the truck and call my friend. I asked him if the truck he was missing had a metal Coca-Cola sign in the back and he said "yes it does, how did you know?". I told him I found the vehicle. He was out of town, but said he would send someone to pick the vehicle up. I called the local PD. When the officer arrived, I handed him both my license and CWP. He looked at them, asked some questions ref the stolen vehicle and went back to his car. A few minutes later, he came back to me, haded me my license and CWP and asked if I had it on me now, I stated "yes, sir". That was it. I have only had my CWP for month and don't carry on a regular basis, although I will now. This was my first LEO contact while armed and I was kinda nervous. I was totally impressed with he hadled my being armed. I hung around until the guy showed up with the title to the truck, about 45 minutes, and then was on my way. In SC, we are required to notify LEO when they ask for identification. I chose to have it in my had when he first arrived and walked up to me because I knew he would need my info for the report and I had my sons with me and I don't make it a point to tell them when I am armed. I have read many posts here on when to present your CWP to LEO and always thought I would wait until asked. I guess you don't know until you are actually in the situation.

2. Remove Ads

Strong work and good find.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Good encounter...did the cops find the dirtbag who took the truck?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good encounter, Good leo, you get creme filled doughnut today

I have not gotten an update from my friend. He was more concerned about the $6K in tools that were stolen than his truck. The tools belonged to his friends that were in the process of building a pole barn on his property for him. The tools were taken the day before the truck. One of his friends did find 2 ladders hidden on the property. I drive by and check the property for him on my way too and from work. He is the type of person that would give you the shirt off his back. I hope to hear from him today or tomorrow and will provide an update.

I think the fact that you simply presented your CCW permit to the officer and let him do what he needed to do with it contributed to this good encounter. Most of the problems with LE relative to concealed carry that I hear of seem to be preceeded by some speech, usually something canned, made by the CCW holder meant to inform the LEO that he's carrying a gun. You made your carry status known quietly and intelligently IMNSHO and allowed the officer to do whatever he needed with it. By the way, good job spotting that stolen vehicle.

+1... Glad your buddy got his truck back!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    That's how it should go with cop encounters. I too offer up knowledge that I'm carrying to LEO right away. Good job on finding the truck.

I let them know that way they aren't surprised and know what they are dealing with,If I was still an LEO and on scene I like to know where all the guns are, in an investigation they may disarm you until all the facts are clear and then return your weapon after they have finished
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I let them know that way they aren't surprised and know what they are dealing with,If I was still an LEO and on scene I like to know where all the guns are, in an investigation they may disarm you until all the facts are clear and then return your weapon after they have finished
    That really does make sense. I have always tried to make LEOs comfortable as possible the few times I've encountered them in their law enforcement capacity.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Still no update yet. I assume my buddy and his fiance' are enjoying the rest of their vacation. Spotting the vehicle was kind of a fluke. I had never seen it before, but after passing the vehicle my gut told me there was something wrong. It was odd that the BG left it there on a street that busy. I am 100% sure I made the right decision to present my CWP upon inital contact. I am not ashamed of the fact that I carry. In fact, I am proud that I have the right to legally carry. I believe you lead by example, not words. My decision allowed the LEO to concentrate on the issue, the truck. And, my boys got a positive experience and a story to share with friends of how they helped fine a stolen vehicle.

Links