Tactical Dressing?

Tactical Dressing?

This is a discussion on Tactical Dressing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so we all know you dress around the gun. But how many take in to account footwear? I got to thinking this weekend. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Dressing?

Tactical Dressing?

Ok, so we all know you dress around the gun. But how many take in to account footwear? I got to thinking this weekend. I was at a large outdoor concertwhere there was an abundance of LEO. I was however carrying my Glock 23 IWB with shorts tshirt and flipflops. Knife on the pocket, E1L Surefire in the other pocket and cell phone. So I believe I was tactically prepared. But leaving the concert was a night mare of foot traffic and drunks. Plus I had my girlfriend with me...who does not carry.

If I got into a physical confrontation or had to run from somebody or evade somebody by chance. What chance would I stand in flipflops? Anybody else ever think of this?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have often thought of that, but not in the context of being a CCW carrier. I grew up in a rough area of Dallas (Pleasant Grove) and learned at a young age to "be ready".

That was reinforced last year when I bought my first pair of flip flops (ever) and while I was walking 2 doors down to visit with a neighbor they kept slipping off. Now I only wear them to go turn off the foundation watering hoses (In TX we have to water our concrete foundations).

IMHO, if you have flip flops on and you get in to it with someone they need to come off. But with that you run the risk of someone stopping on your toes to throw you off. I know I would
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    Any grunt will tell you that his feet are the most important assets or tools to his survival.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Flip flops are for the shower or beach....
    I always wear full toe shoes: slip on deck shoes, athletic shoes or dress shoes. Flip flops are very uncomfortable and really hard to run without them flying off or tripping.

Just my take.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

People puke, spill beer, step on your feet, spit their tobacco crap, and put lord knows what else on the ground at a concert...

You might need to boil your feet :)

Tactically they're bad. But you could always flip them off and run barefoot if it came down to it.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Yeah never a big flip flop wearer until the girlfriend bought me a pair and they are so darn easy and comfy. I have ah sandals though that covered the whole foot and were jusy like an open toe open back shoe. Very surefooted and I could run in them. What we do for the pleasure and satisfaction of the woman in our life.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

jwhite75 I have considered the flip-flop issue too. I wear these when I am out and about.

Keen Newport H2 Sandals - Men's from REI.com

They are a tad pricey but I can run in them and they protect the toe if you bump into something.

Senior Moderator
    Try heels!

I once had to run (and I do mean run) in heels. I believe it was to catch a car or was it a bus? Either way, after that day I swore I would NEVER run in high heels again.

Since, I have probably been in situations that encouraged me to run in high heels at least three more times.

The last couple of times I've simply kicked off my shoes and hauled butt.

Practical shoes are a great asset when it comes to being in a tactical advantage, but let's face it, sometimes practical shoes just aren't on the docket for the day (especially if you happen to be female).

If I'm going to church I'm not going to wear tennis shoes with my Sunday dress. If I'm going out with my husband I might not wear heels but I'll certainly wear something a little more flattering and it might have some sort of a heel.

Going to a nice dinner or formal event it's almost impossible to find a very dressy shoe for a woman that is not a high heel so I'm stuck with what I've got.

In that case it would draw more attention to myself to be wearing flats than anything else.

But God has blessed me with good ankles, very calloused soles from growing up on farm with a large distaste for any kind of footwear and the common sense to ditch the shoes when I must.

Average day to day I'm in tennis shoes, however.

Sure. That's why you'll never see USSS agents on protective detail wearing loafers. They'd run right out of them!

Glad to see it's not only me who thinks of these things! I don't wear flip flops or any kid of sandals when I'm carrying. However, I DO own a pair of Keens and they could do in a pinch!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Sandals

I too have considered this. But up here in the North East summers are so short that you try to get that summer feeling with shorts and sandals for as long as you can before we are back up to our necks in snow for the season. My solution has been a Teva River Sandal that is strapped to my foot as good as any athletic shoe could ever hope to be. I don't know the model but there are a few with camming retention straps and they stay on through hell & high water. I seem to recall paying about $100

VIP Member
    Don't like sandles. Seems some people with the ugliest feet want to wear them.
    I can't hardley walk in the darn things, I'd hate to think about running. Guess you could always kick them off, but then you're running bare footed over who knows what. I've hit my foot against things that if I'd had sandles on, well it would have just plain hurt.

VIP Member
    No, but, I only wear flip-flops to take the trash out.

Flip flops are an advantage for someone with Martial Arts capabilities. In close quarters combat, I am much faster and more effective with bare feet than with ANY type footwear.
    D

I avoided wearing sandals for a long time...only started wearing them a couple years ago. I hated seeing other people's feet, and thought there's just no way I'm gonna do that unless I'm at the pool or beach. I really don't like hot weather, anything over 85 and I'm just not comfortable. Well it turns out, that wearing sandals makes you feel about 10 degrees cooler than tennis shoes and socks (even the little anklet socks). If only someone would have told me.....

Anyways, wearing sandals while carrying is fine as long as you get something that has a strap around the back of the heel as others have discussed. Its the best of both worlds....cool and you can be active. My only other problem, is I need something with decent arch support (because I have no arches). The stuff from land's end works pretty good for me. All other times I wear Redwing loafers (work) or Redwing boots (fall/winter).

I've never like 'open-toed' anything on my feet. My wife dosn't understand why not......of course she'd go barefoot all day if she could. Even if I'm gonna be at the beach for any amount of time I'll, at the very least, have my dive boots or swim socks for wandering around. Flip flops and sandals just can't cut it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links