Another Positive LEO Encounter - Page 2

Another Positive LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on Another Positive LEO Encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KenInColo The more of these LEO encounters I read, the more I'm impressed with the posters. Yet for you to be impressed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Positive LEO Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    The more of these LEO encounters I read, the more I'm impressed with the posters.
    Yet for you to be impressed with them, they've usually already broken the law in some form or another...interesting. Just kidding of course. I totally agree with you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Yet for you to be impressed with them, they've usually already broken the law in some form or another...interesting. Just kidding of course. I totally agree with you though.
    You know, I thought "Law-abiding? Hey, they just broke a traffic law. What the heck did I just say?"

I know of counties in Colo where your driving record is a factor in whether or not you are denied/revoked.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I am glad you had a positive encounter except for the ticket.

next time hold back a few seconds Do Not Have Lic and Id in hand. You want the interaction to last a little longer the longer the interaction the less likey the ticket. Next time ask the officer if it would be ok to remove your seat belt and reach into your left side front/rear right side front/rear pocket to get your license and CCW. The LEO is going to ask "Do you have family on the job? or why are you asking if it is ok to remove your seat belt. Relpy my "/father/sister/mother/cousin or friends on DC is a LEO and has taught me to explain to LEO what I am doing (for your safety). Now you have informed the LEO that you have a CCW and are a good guy. Also inform LEO that you have a clean drivers license and you would like to kept it that way if possible. He doesn't care if he gives you a ticket or the next guy. So hopefully it will be the next guy. I have bent a few laws, broken a few laws too and have talked my way out of more tickets than I care to admit in my younger days. Leo will ask what are you carring and where. Maybe the LEO is in the market for new pistol? The longer the good interaction the less likely hood of getting a summons. How long did you interaction with the LEO take. 30 seconds? try to make it a little longer see what happens. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Questions which you may chose not to answer. I know, I know, not answering his questions might be taken as not cooperating and could change the tone of the whole stop.

In my state, the CHL holders are put into a database which also contains 'dangerous persons' and other persons of interest. We don't have to inform LEO if we are stopped BUT if/when he runs our DL, he's also gonna see that we are in the 'dangerous persons' list. I for one want LEO to know why I'm in that list so I'm gonna give him my CHL along w/my DL, Registration & Proof of Insurance.

I'm gonna answer all his questions honestly, right up until he advises me of my Miranda rights.
    My county doesn't enter our names in that database. I believe all LEOs are automatically in that database (a friend that was in the academy told me his name was in the DB because he was in the academy, I can't confirm that info).

I have a Utah permit, but live in Missouri. In Utah, you MUST inform LEO that you are carrying if you are stopped. Missouri however, you do not. Only if the LEO asks you if you have a weapon, then you MUST answer truthfully. Although, the MO permit is printed in large red lettering across the top of your DL so they will find out soon enough. Just IMO, I have had good success with when the officer asks for my DL and registration, I tell them that since I will be reaching into my pocket and/or console that "so you are aware, I am a CCW holder and I am carrying @ 3 o'clock at this time" and ask "I there anything you would like for me to do for your peace of mind." I actually had a friend who got stopped, hand the officer her license and then tell him that her registration was in the glove compartment under her 357. He told her that she could just leave it there and then let her off with a warning.

Just remember, these are all just suggestions and every LEO is different, just as all the people posting here are different and have different opinions about how to handle any given situation. Basically, I would just try and put yourself in that officer's shoes and do what would make you feel comfortable if the roles were reversed.

Chad
    Chad

Violent crime happens every 22 seconds while police are only minutes away.

The rolling hills of 81 through Withville VA is one of the biggest speed traps in the country!! Ask me how I know this!!! Glad it worked out well for you. I think the poster did fine, no need to tell him your third cousins boyfriend's daddy is a cop!! They don't care about this, and really get tired of hearing the excuses why someone shouldn't get a ticket. I have always found it better to man up, and say yes sir I am guilty. It has gotten me off way more tickets than bringing up my background, or the background of my family and friends.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I think the poster did fine, no need to tell him your third cousins boyfriend's daddy is a cop!! They don't care about this, and really get tired of hearing the excuses why someone shouldn't get a ticket.
    Yes, this gets very annoying... you are more likely to get a ticket from me if you're a weasel. Just man up, we both know how fast you were going.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, this gets very annoying... you are more likely to get a ticket from me if you're a weasel. Just man up, we both know how fast you were going.
    Agreed. I figure the cops rarely hear a new story under these circumstances and probably get tired of hearing the sames ones over and over again.

Actually he clocked me at 77 mph. I thought I was hitting 80.

So I didn't argue with his official call.

I have no problem with the ticket; even if it does represent about 10 boxes of 9mil.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    My county doesn't enter our names in that database. I believe all LEOs are automatically in that database (a friend that was in the academy told me his name was in the DB because he was in the academy, I can't confirm that info).
    You are one of the fortunate ones who lives in one of the few Colo counties whose Sheriff doesn't report new CHLs. Mind if I ask which county?

That [putting new CHLs into the state database] was supposed to go away but when the blues took over the govt. in 2006, they kept it.

You are one of the fortunate ones who lives in one of the few Colo counties whose Sheriff doesn't report new CHLs. Mind if I ask which county?

That [putting new CHLs into the state database] was supposed to go away but when the blues took over the govt. in 2006, they kept it.
    Douglas County, Sheriff is David Weaver. But Douglas County won't sign the Automatic Weapon permits so easily.

VIP Member
    What's wrong with today's police? Respectful, considerate, no harassment, no mirror sunglasses, no disparaging remarks about your parents and no thumps on the noggin' with a sap! Bunch of wussies!

Oh wait... those are the cops on TV!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Douglas County, Sheriff is David Weaver. But Douglas County won't sign the Automatic Weapon permits so easily.
    Wow! That's a big county, I would never have guessed. I live in Montrose, Rick Dunlap, Sheriff (R). Don't know his stand on Automatic Weapons.

My cousin was pulled over for a "rolling stop". He handed the officer his license and permit (not required here in Indiana) and informed the LEO of his Glock 17 under his seat. The LEO asked my cousin to hand the weapon to him slowly. The LEO pulled the mag and ejected the one in the pipe and placed the gun on the roof of the car. He went back to his cruiser, carrying the mag and extra round to run the license. When he returned, he thanked my cousin for the heads-up and gave him a warning on the violation. He handed the pistol back to my cousin, then emptied all 17 rounds from the magazine and handed back the mag and the 18 loose rounds. Then, with a big smile, he said "Sir, I know it's a pain in the butt to get your weapon back like this, but I need enough time to get back to my cruiser"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links