Another Positive LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on Another Positive LEO Encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is how I believe most LEO encounters go. It's not big news but I figure since we are quick to post the bad encounters, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Positive LEO Encounter

This is how I believe most LEO encounters go. It's not big news but I figure since we are quick to post the bad encounters, we should give kudos whenever we can.

My wife and I drove from Fairfax, VA to Nashville, TN for a wedding.

Driving down I-81 near Wytheville, VA I let the speed get a little away from me.

A Wythe County Deputy decided he should point this out to me.

Since I carry my drivers license and CCW in a card pouch in my front left pants pocket, I had them out by the time he got to my window.

I gave him both ID's and informed him where the gun was (right front pocket).

He handed the CCW back to me immediately and said, "I don't need that". Then he thanked me for letting him know about the firearm.

After he ran the license and wrote up the ticket (sigh . . . you can't win 'em all), he came back, had me sign the citation and explained how to prepay, etc.

Then he thanked me again for letting him know about my firearm.

He wished me a good day and I was on my way (a little slower than before).
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Nice comment

Strong work!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Now thats the way it should be handled. You respected the officer and the officer respected you (he even give you something to remeber him by )
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

The more of these LEO encounters I read, the more I'm impressed with the posters.

Although I haven't been a member here that long, I have yet to read a post where the poster whined, complained or made excuses for whatever infraction they were cited for.

I think that in addition to being stable, law abiding and a bunch of other positive traits, I think we can add maturity to the list.

Give yourselves a hand.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I don't have a problem with getting the ticket......if you're speeding, you're speeding.
    But I do not like the stories of guns taken apart and the bullets put into a bag, etc.

Sounds like this stop was just as it should be.

Stay armed...watch 'yer speed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like a good stop.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Good on both of you! It is my experience that, while most cops are not 'gun guys' (or gals), most seem to understand why the CC exists and are supportive.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Very positive encounter. I am sworn LE but not a police officer (probation officer), but I have three family members who are uniformed LEO and many many friends. I get very aggravated with people who bad mouth LEO and then make them their first call when something bad happens to them. This is the kind of comments we need to have on this forum.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

To the contrary.. most if not all Second Ammendment Attorneys advise their clients and ones who read their books.. "do not volunteer your ccw permit or advise you are carrying your weapon" now that does not mean lie to them.. quite the opposite they say. You are just opening yourself for further questions.. Concealed means concealed to them also.. do not give reasons for further searches and make a routine traffic stop complicated or a reason for LEO to call for routine backups.. Many of the Second Amendment Attorneys are former States Attorneys and also represent police officers in their shootings also... I spent 30 years in LE. Respect is one thing and telling the truth is one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalstate View Post
    ...You are just opening yourself for further questions...
    Questions which you may chose not to answer. I know, I know, not answering his questions might be taken as not cooperating and could change the tone of the whole stop.

In my state, the CHL holders are put into a database which also contains 'dangerous persons' and other persons of interest. We don't have to inform LEO if we are stopped BUT if/when he runs our DL, he's also gonna see that we are in the 'dangerous persons' list. I for one want LEO to know why I'm in that list so I'm gonna give him my CHL along w/my DL, Registration & Proof of Insurance.

I'm gonna answer all his questions honestly, right up until he advises me of my Miranda rights.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Just so you and others with similar thought processing know we call the police at the first sign of trouble because if we don’t and things get worse it looks bad on us. Personally I would prefer it if all the silly rules were removed and I and others of the same mind set would clean things up so we could live in a polite society.
    For many years the citizens in my state (Michigan) have had their hands tied by local and federal government gun laws and defense issues. Things like, we were expected to flee while our heads were being bashed in. We finally got to carry back in 01 and the Castle doctrine came just a couple years back.
    Violent crime went down ( the kind on citizens not gang murders) the cause for this? According to the sheriff’s department it was due to them making more arrest and chasing down bad guys. Funny it all started after we started carrying.
    Fact of the matter is, if I get into a real gun fight just wait till it’s over then come in, and do the body count. The way LEO’s tend to shoot there will be less collateral damage done.
    This was not intended to lump all law enforcement into one group. Only the guilty need be ashamed

I believe that some state require you to tell an officer who stops you. Not sure though.

In VA, you're put into a database with the "good guys," folks who are usually more trustworthy, rather than potential perps.

In SC, you are required to notifiy LEO if asked for identification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links