MP LEO Experience (Good)

This is a discussion on MP LEO Experience (Good) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last month I had to travel to PA on business - upon returning I find out that my FL DL is missing and must ...

Thread: MP LEO Experience (Good)

MP LEO Experience (Good)

So last month I had to travel to PA on business - upon returning I find out that my FL DL is missing and must have been left at the airport. Being the weekend I thought no problem, I'll just get a new one on Monday AM.

Unexpectedly, we had to travel Sunday evening to the birth of a new niece. The route took us through Ft. Stewart outside Savannah, GA. It was rather late (around 2am), and suddenly I see the red and blue lights behind me. I pull over to the shoulder and realize the only form of govt. issued id that I have is my Florida CCW; yes I was carrying also.

The two MP's approach and as I hand them my registration I explain the lost DL on the trip and hand them my CCW. They let me know I have a rear tail light out on our family van and to wait just a minute.
    As they go back to their vehicle I'm thinking this may get ugly - carrying on a govt military installation with no drivers license - ouch!

To my pleasant surprise they return in just a couple of minutes, hand me the CCW and registration and tell me to have a good evening and to be safe. No other comments about the license. Wow!
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

why did an mp stop you just to let you know that the tail light was out?

ive never seen an mp doing a traffic stop in public before

Good to hear all went well. Congrats also on the new niece.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Was there no checkpoint? The only Military installation I've seen without a checkpoint was the *edit*, you know, I'd rather not shout it out.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post

I don't know. They were uniformed military police officers (with the MP arm band) in a police vehicle on Ga Hwy 144 that goes thorough the Ft. Stewart Military Reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Was there no checkpoint? The only Military installation I've seen without a checkpoint was the *edit*, you know, I'd rather not shout it out.
    It was outside the checkpoint. There are two state highways that are generally open to the general public for transiting through the area without entering a secured area.

Perhaps it was the time of night - it was late (2am) and there were no other cars on the hwy.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Most militry bases have concurent jurisdiction in roadways adjacent to the base in question. Sometimes the roadways are government property but the fence is well within the boarder of the property. The area of the base outside the fence is used as base housing and patroled by the DOD police or MPs. Some bases have off base housing some distance from the base and the state or local government grant concurent jurisdiction on the roads leading to this off base housing owned by the government.-Jay

Mp's are like every other LEO they enforce traffic laws and can and will stop for a defective tail light,think about this scenario,what if theres a kidnap victim in the trunk one way to get attention is to pull the wires going to the tail lights hoping a cop sees it and makes a stop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That highway runs thru Fort Stewart. Most of the large military installations have highways running thru them, just too large to avoid it. The Military Police patrol those highways and enforce the law thru the federal magistrate system just like any policeman would do thru local courts. CCW on those highways is not a problem (if your legal) as the installation would normally be isolated by a fence.

Glad everything worked out ok for you. Don't forget to get that DL.
    NRA Member

The 'larger' military installations have roads that will pass through the base, but no checkpoints....that particular road may just 'pass thru' and go nowhere 'sensitive' or forbidden. MP's, as well as county sheriff deputies have authority there and MP's are state certified to issue citations, make arrests......there federal LEO's.

It maybe a state (public) road, and state laws apply...but it's on federal (Army in this case) property. It's pretty common actually.

Ft. Stewart has two ranges (if I'm not mistaken) that are accessible to the public, and as long as you are on the road in question "passing thru", it shouldn't be any kind of issue. They were soldiers, they may 'understand' the carrying better than some, making it not that big a deal to them. It's was probably good that it was late and they didn't want the extra paperwork seeing how everything else checked out.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links