Background check, why so long? - Page 2

Background check, why so long?

This is a discussion on Background check, why so long? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; dont hold me to the exact numbers but there was a show on tv last week that talked about the illegal imagration problem. The FBI ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Background check, why so long?

dont hold me to the exact numbers but there was a show on tv last week that talked about the illegal imagration problem. The FBI computer holds 15 million set of prints and check about 750,000 per day. With the newer computer fingerprint scan they can check print in 30 seconds. They said the whole process from ICE hitting the send key to reply is 3 minutes. So why does it take so long 45-60-90 days plus to get a reply if out prints are in the system multi times. If somebody saw the show and I am off on my number please correct me.

When I got my CPL, I was printed on 5/27, and the clerks office said the prints came back on 6/2. I didn't get my permit until 7/15 though, because the Concealed weapons board did not meet in June - so I had to wait until the July mtg - 7/15 for my permit. Keep in mind, I live in a smaller County in Michigan, where they review about 60-70 requests per month. I was told by someone else that they get your prints, etc. back quickly, they just purposely wait 45 days to give it to you.

Va has a provision in the CC law, that if the permit is not issued or denied within 45 days form the date the application is submitted, the "clerk of the court shall issue a certified dated copy of the application, which shall serve as a de-facto carry permit for 90 days, or until the actual permit is issued or denied." Of course as myself, and now my son have pointed out in another thread, some localities are trying to circumvent the state law

Not slow in Ga.

My wife and I applied on a Monday and our permits arrived in the mail Thursday of the same week.

1dc
    Quote Originally Posted by djp9747 View Post
    Well, unfortunately it does not say "shall not be infringed, in a timely manner". Given the hoopla surrounding CCW and gun rights, I'm sure some states use lengthy/complex application periods as a way to discourage people from getting their permits. From their perspective they aren't infringing on your rights because they allow people to get CCW permits. However, no where in the constitution does it say what is reasonable and what isn't. Ask a gun owner, and he'll say anything longer is unreasonable. As a anti-gun, and she'll say that 6mos - 1year period is reasonable.
    Perhaps we need a return to a simpler time. One where we reinstitute "reasonable" peer pressure that we don't need to redefine what "is" is or what "shall not" means. If we're going to worry about human rights, this seems like as good a place to start as any. Let's start shaming people who are taking away rights with their twisted ideas of "reasonable". If that doesn't work, we should consider ways to make them pay for such crimes against free citizens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links